Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-06-2009, 12:40 AM   #55
Ryu

Drives: Copper Orange Mica Yaris
I just realized that even Mitsubishi Evolution use 23mm rear sway bar.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.ca/Lanc...fications.aspx

Under suspension category.
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:56 AM   #56
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
What the Evo uses for a rear bar is completely and totally irrelevant, my friend.

It has a completely different suspension design, different weight distribution, different spring rates, etc.

A "good" rear swaybar for a typically set up Miata is about 14mm, does that make it right for a Yaris? No. A Miata is a lightweight, well-balanced RWD car with independent rear suspension.

A "good" rear swaybar for a Saturn S-series is 16 or 17mm, does that make it right for a Yaris? No. A Saturn S-Series is a FWD car, but it has an independent rear suspension, and unlike the Yaris, it uses a real swaybar (not a torsion beam axle reinforcement like the Yaris).

I could go on... but, you get the point. I hope. If you're going to make an analogy between a Yaris suspension and another car, the other car needs to be about the same weight as the yaris, have the same drivetrain layout, and a similar suspension design.

Not picking on you, Ryu... but spend more time learning about your suspension and how it works and less time studying parts catalogs. Then you might come to some meaningful conclusions.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:02 AM   #57
Ryu

Drives: Copper Orange Mica Yaris
Haha, sorry my bad. I guess I have a lot to learn. Thanks Loren for your input.
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #58
RagnaCaT
HacKers WanTed!

Drives: Yaris S HB & Yaris S SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
What the Evo uses for a rear bar is completely and totally irrelevant, my friend.

It has a completely different suspension design, different weight distribution, different spring rates, etc.

A "good" rear swaybar for a typically set up Miata is about 14mm, does that make it right for a Yaris? No. A Miata is a lightweight, well-balanced RWD car with independent rear suspension.

A "good" rear swaybar for a Saturn S-series is 16 or 17mm, does that make it right for a Yaris? No. A Saturn S-Series is a FWD car, but it has an independent rear suspension, and unlike the Yaris, it uses a real swaybar (not a torsion beam axle reinforcement like the Yaris).

I could go on... but, you get the point. I hope. If you're going to make an analogy between a Yaris suspension and another car, the other car needs to be about the same weight as the yaris, have the same drivetrain layout, and a similar suspension design.

Not picking on you, Ryu... but spend more time learning about your suspension and how it works and less time studying parts catalogs. Then you might come to some meaningful conclusions.
MOD's can we get Loren's name changed from "Loren" to "Master Loren"

So much info would never fit in my brain....
Old 05-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #59
botchilah

Drives: white and red shiny things
WIth all this talk of the rear sway bar improving the handling, I now also want to upgrade my shocks and dampers to full coil-overs to further see the benefits of a rear sway bar lol
08' Yaris HB 5dr: RAYS 57 Motorsports 17X7 / K&N SRI / TANABE axleback exhaust / ULTRA RACING complete braces / MEGAN RACING complete braces / NEX coilovers / NEX 330mm 4-pot front BBK / PENGUIN GARAGE hub spacers / HOTBITS headers / BUDDY CLUB oil cap and rad cap / APP SS brake lines / HKS synthetic lubes / RECARO SR5 seats / TRD shiftknob / cheap FEDERAL (free) tires lol. NEXT: HKS F-CON iS
botchilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:58 AM   #60
AznGouki
Metsu

Drives: NCP91 ; E36
Great input Loren. I was very skeptical of Ultra Racing since I have never heard of its name before, but seeing somebody actually put it to track testing and comparing it to the TRD bar leaves me with confidence. I'll probably be making a purchase once I cleared my bill from my last purchase haha.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #61
somlim

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 Door G Auto
Hi Loren,

Does the sway bar rubs when you go over any humps, for lowered suspension?

Seems like it's significantly lower than the torsion beam.

Thanks
somlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #62
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
The sway bar doesn't rub or hit the ground.

It isn't any lower than the oil pan in front or, on my car at least, the exhaust system.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:20 PM   #63
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Hey, guys.

Finally got to autocross with the 23mm rear bar yesterday. Worked just like expected. I still had to go really stiff with the rear shocks to get the car to oversteer easily, but unlike the last time I autocrossed at this location with an otherwise identical setup (same tires, same springs, same shocks, same surface, same conditions) with the 19mm TRD bar, I could NOT get the car to oversteer. So, the new bar is certainly more effective than the TRD bar was. (please note that I'm NOT saying that EVERYBODY needs this stiffer bar because it is more effective... the 19mm bar makes a big difference and is appropriate for typical street use)

Garm, my suggestion to you for R&D would be to do some testing to find out how much flex remains in the beam axle with this bar installed. Maybe put one wheel on a jack stand, and the other wheel on a jack that you can raise and lower. Pick some reference points and see what the beam axle is doing. If it's not flexing, then making a bigger bar wouldn't really do anything but add weight. If there is still significant flex... make us a bigger bar!

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote