Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-25-2007, 02:28 PM   #1
Push
Push

Drives: Black Sand Toyota Yaris
Send a message via AIM to Push
Noob Please explain these performance options

TRD Front Strut Tie Bar

TRD Sport Lowering

TRD Rear Sway Bar

What will these thing improve on my stock yaris.

What should be bought first and is there anything else i need to get along with it?
Push is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
This has been discussed again and again. Are you putting this on just to say you have it or are you really going to track you car and push it? I would say springs/struts alone will suffice for a daily. That will give the car a sportier feel and close that wheel gap a bit. Do a little research and consider your options. Use the search feature and you will find many opinions and many more options.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:35 PM   #3
nqd

Drives: 07 Yaris LB Absolute RED
There are tons of threads about this already... try using the search button..

but IMO springs first
nqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
WRBlue

Drives: Yaris 3 Door, 04 WRX, 69 Lotus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Push View Post
TRD Front Strut Tie Bar
Improve: Nothing. Technically, they tie the front strut towers together so they do not flex independtly of each other. I've never seen a car actually flex in its front strut towers - the cowl and firewall already tie the strut towers together. Moden cars don't flex that much. Now rear strut braces in a wagon/fast back, thats a different story...

Quote:
TRD Sport Lowering
Improve: That depends on what you think is an improvement ;) . It lowers the car by limiting shock travel. To compensate, the spring rates are higher. So many people (inc. me) say it improves the stance of the car and the handling and kills alot of body roll. The trade off is shorter shock life and harsher ride.

Quote:
TRD Rear Sway Bar
Improve: Lessens understeer, makes the car more neutral.

Quote:
What should be bought first and is there anything else i need to get along with it?
Assuming this is a 100% street car, get TRD shocks and the springs and call it a day. Good tires too.
WRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
Push
Push

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRBlue View Post
Improve: Nothing. Technically, they tie the front strut towers together so they do not flex independtly of each other. I've never seen a car actually flex in its front strut towers - the cowl and firewall already tie the strut towers together. Moden cars don't flex that much. Now rear strut braces in a wagon/fast back, thats a different story...

Improve: That depends on what you think is an improvement ;) . It lowers the car by limiting shock travel. To compensate, the spring rates are higher. So many people (inc. me) say it improves the stance of the car and the handling and kills alot of body roll. The trade off is shorter shock life and harsher ride.

Improve: Lessens understeer, makes the car more neutral.

Assuming this is a 100% street car, get TRD shocks and the springs and call it a day. Good tires too.

thanks for the breakdown and efficacious advice. I am new here and all i know about is tires and wheels. I will use the search button. thanks yall. I will just get that stuff done. I just need to tint the windows to hide the ugly tan interior lol
Old 06-25-2007, 03:05 PM   #6
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

tan?
Old 06-25-2007, 03:07 PM   #7
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
As being a member who has installed a tanabe front strut bar, I have to disagree that it does nothing. I have had mine since november '06, and it has helped quite a bit. It is not noticeable in town, but on the highway it works very well. Even my g/f loved the improvement and she can't tell a camshaft from a driveshaft. And for under $100 the price is affordable. Now if you do have the money, get some coilovers and you won't have to worry about bars or braces. I'm getting tired of people saying a strut tower bar does nothing when they haven't tried one on a yaris.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:08 PM   #8
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
As being a member who has installed a tanabe front strut bar, I have to disagree that it does nothing. I have had mine since november '06, and it has helped quite a bit. It is not noticeable in town, but on the highway it works very well. Even my g/f loved the improvement and she can't tell a camshaft from a driveshaft. And for under $100 the price is affordable. Now if you do have the money, get some coilovers and you won't have to worry about bars or braces. I'm getting tired of people saying a strut tower bar does nothing when they haven't tried one on a yaris.

yeah, I would think it would stiffen up the front a bit, but since I am going with coilovers I scratched it from my list, it looks cool when you open up the hood too
Old 06-25-2007, 03:18 PM   #9
Push
Push

i like the bar look. and i would think it would improve handling at high speeds. especially if you hit a bump. and brick i have the tan interior. some came with black
Old 06-25-2007, 03:37 PM   #10
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Here's a nice view of my bar.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:05 PM   #11
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
Here's a nice view of my bar.
Whah happa? strut bar looks nice + clean tho
Old 06-25-2007, 04:15 PM   #12
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Red face

there's that puny litle horn, ha ha
Old 06-25-2007, 04:45 PM   #13
WRBlue

Quote:
OK, so your not going to change your mind even though you cite evidence that has nothing to do with a strut tower brack.

What I want to know is why if someone got coilovers they wouldn't want a strut tower brace??? If anything, you'd want one more. The forces will be increased...
Old 06-25-2007, 05:00 PM   #14
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

you can put everything the world has to offer however with the stiffness and dampening of coilovers would a strut bar make a big difference or much at all on the street? I doubt it but 'eh go for it

I am sure the more bracing you add the stiffer it gets, ColinT has a ton of bracing and says his ride is extremely stiff, he also went with megan coils and they have very high spring rates
Old 06-25-2007, 07:47 PM   #15
WRBlue

I'm saying the bar doesn't do anything in the first place ;)

If there was a stiffness issue in the strut towers, adding stiffer springs would make it worse, as more force would be transmitted to the upper hats and thus the strut towers. Think about it, every force applied to the wheels from outside the car has to go one of two places - along the LCA or along the strut. Theoritically, any lateral forces transmitted along the strut will effect the strut tower and cause it to flex laterially - and at a different rate than the other side of the car. Harsher springs will cause more forces to be transmitted because less is absorbed. Think about how much your body feels the bumps on harder springs than OEM stuff. The rest of the car is feeling that too ;) . Thus there is more force going through the strut towers than with an OEM suspension.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:50 PM   #16
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

ok but I thought the difference was felt more in hard turns, and hard driving, limiting the roll of the car? isn't this the point of the strut bar and braces and even sway to some extent, to stiffen and lessen the rolling into turns, up an down certainly is going to get more and more neck bracking the stiffer you go and tires your number one damper are nice to have
Old 06-25-2007, 07:53 PM   #17
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRBlue View Post
OK, so your not going to change your mind even though you cite evidence that has nothing to do with a strut tower brack.

What I want to know is why if someone got coilovers they wouldn't want a strut tower brace??? If anything, you'd want one more. The forces will be increased...
What do you mean I don't cite evidence? My first mod with stock suspension and wheels was the bar, and I noticed a difference on the highway. If the bar didn't make the difference, then what did?? The TEIN yaris has the coilovers and they didn't add any braces.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:54 PM   #18
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
there's that puny litle horn, ha ha
Yeah, that has got to go. I think they used the same horn on my Yamaha scooter, lol. I have a nice strong sounding horn from my LeBaron that I am thinking of swapping. Although being Chrysler, might catch fire...