Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
lapinaloca

Drives: 09 Yaris
USB connection to IPOD input

Hey guys,

I bought an 09 Yaris a few months ago and have been trying to find a way to hook up an mp3 player/flash drive/external hard drive to the stock stereo. I've been googling this for a few hours and all I can find is info on 1) the AUX input near the e-brake and 2) the IPOD adapter cable that plugs in the back of the HU.

Has anyone ever tried adapting a mini-USB cable to the 12 pin connector on the back of the HU? I assume this 12 pin connection is for the IPOD adapter Toyota sells. I don't think getting the cable connected will be a problem, but I'm not sure if the HU will even be able to talk to the various USB devices I want to use with it, display the song titles, and navigate the file system. Is this even possible, or do I HAVE to get an after-market HU?

Thanks,
Aaron
lapinaloca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
ANSWER: new head unit

Old 12-29-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Mantis View Post
ANSWER: new head unit
+1. Head units with full iPod control are cheap these days, and installing them is CAKE.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Look for a SCION/Pioneer T1808 deck on Ebay. I just got one for $99 like new from there. Then I bought the iPod cable for $28 and plugged it into the back of the stereo.
It's a 160watt unit too.
I now have full control of my iPod which sits in the glove box out of sight.
Everything works right off the deck, and it's a perfect fit with no mods!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
Yarrris-Wench
Keep To The Code

Drives: Red 2009 Toyo Yaris- Isabella
Send a message via AIM to Yarrris-Wench
wow yours is an 09 & didnt come with an aux jack? mine did its right in front of the storage compartment between the seats, just behind the shifter & mine is a base model w/o cruise control or even power anything. lol
Tail Lights, HIDs, Tint, Rear Speaker Box & Amp(Boom Boom :P)

Yarrris-Wench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
lapinaloca

Thanks for the responses.

auxmike: that bit about controlling your IPod through the HU was very helpful.

I'll try to be a little clearer about what I'm looking for here. At the root of it, my question is: Can the stock head unit communicate with a USB device? My end goal with this is to plug my flash drive into the stock head unit, using the supplied IPod cable connection on the back of the HU. (NOT using an Ipod, just the supplied connection point on the back of the HU)

I realize the AUX input will play my music over the stereo, but it won't display the file info on the HU display, or let me navigate the file system through the HU. I also realize that buying a new HU is the simplest option, but like the idea of keeping everything stock, and keeping that $100 in my pocket instead of in my dash.

thanks,
Aaron
Old 12-31-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Slap the flash drive into a laptop, or connect it to the laptop via USB. Then bluetooth it to the iPod/iPhone, and play it from there... sorry about your $100.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapinaloca View Post
Thanks for the responses.

auxmike: that bit about controlling your IPod through the HU was very helpful.

I'll try to be a little clearer about what I'm looking for here. At the root of it, my question is: Can the stock head unit communicate with a USB device? My end goal with this is to plug my flash drive into the stock head unit, using the supplied IPod cable connection on the back of the HU. (NOT using an Ipod, just the supplied connection point on the back of the HU)

I realize the AUX input will play my music over the stereo, but it won't display the file info on the HU display, or let me navigate the file system through the HU. I also realize that buying a new HU is the simplest option, but like the idea of keeping everything stock, and keeping that $100 in my pocket instead of in my dash.

thanks,
Aaron
I had a similar thought with my HU, but I was trying to get an AUX input in my Canadian Yaris ('07 didn't come with one) just to play audio. Like yourself, I was trying to keep a stock look and wasn't interested in a new deck. I found some info on how the CD changer port works, and some of it may be helpful to you.

This website has details on how the AVCLan system (which reads the in/out signals from the HU) operates.

http://www.softservice.com.pl/corolla/avc/simpleaux.php

It got into details beyond my abilities, and I ended up just buying a PIE adaptor to plug into the CD changer port.

I think the short answer to your question is: Yes, the HU likely can do what you're asking (because I believe that's what the Toyota iPod cable does, though it lacks the USB connection) but it's probably complicated and involves building/buying more electronics. Maybe some sort of iPod connector to USB adaptor? I've got no idea how you'd actually do it, but hopefully the website gives you a starting point.

Good luck!
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:58 PM   #9
lapinaloca

Thanks for the very helpful response Dave. I'm in the same boat as you as far as that website is concerned, it's waaay over my head.

However, based on what I read about the PIE and other adapters, I think they all include some kind of software to enable the Ipod to speak to the HU. I would guess that the stock HU in my 09 Yaris is already able to speak Ipod, but probably not communicate with the more simple devices that I use to store/listen to music (USB mass storage devices).

I'll keep working at it, and eventually cannibalize an extra USB cable to see if I can get it to work, but I'm afraid it's not a simple matter of connecting the two devices, but will actually require some programming to do anything more than what the AUX input already does.

If anyone has more comments or suggestions, I'd love to hear them :)

-Aaron
Old 01-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Check this device out. Theoretically it does exactly what you are looking for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GROM-USB-MP3-AUX...item5d27831ecb
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #11
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Check this device out. Theoretically it does exactly what you are looking for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GROM-USB-MP3-AUX...item5d27831ecb
That looks REAL nice!
Too bad the stock HU is so weak. Trust me, the SCION deck IS "stock" looking AND has nice power if you don't want to go nuts with amps, etc.
Heck, it IS a Pioneer, what else would you expect.....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, ipod, mp3