Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-17-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
Ziishan

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 5dr 1.4TDi
Induction air filter on yaris diesel - good or bad?!?!

Hi everyone...

If you remember from my previous post, i was asking about general things to do to my yaris. One of them was exhaust or induction kit. Come to a conclusion that i should do both, so ordered an exhaust resonator. However a few people have said to not use an induction kit as this can have bad long term effects?

The reasons, simply because with a kit, your car computer cant manage the amount of air passing through, thus if there is too less, shi*ty MPG... Or if too much then i could burn my spark plugs and eventually destroy engine.

Just want to ask the yaris gurus on here.... Is this true? Is it safe to put a kit on?

Thanks guys/girls
Old 10-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
I was under the impression that diesels gain power by 2 major things: bigger injectors and fatter exhaust...
Old 10-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
Ziishan

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 5dr 1.4TDi
@ thebarber: dont want to go too deep into mods, so not going to touch injectors. As for exhaust, your statement may be true but apparently and bigger exhaust makes no difference on a diesel. A remap or induction kit would work better for power gain.

My main goal is to make it sound better... At the moment it just sounds like a tractor. Lol
Old 10-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Firstly, a diesel doesn't have spark plugs they have glow plugs and you can not burn them out. And it's not a TDi, that's VW. It's D-4D for Toyota. If you want more power, turn up the boost.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air filter, engine, exhaust, induction kit, k&n