Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-08-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
mackntack

Drives: Yaris 1.0 S
PAS conversion?

Hi all, just bought a little 52 plate for my son to learn in, unfortunately it's a base model with no power steering, has anyone any idea what is involved to convert this? There seems to be loads of spares on ebay to do the job... I think.
mackntack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I finally figured out what you UK people mean by "52 plate". Since your Yaris is an 02, conversion would take quite a bit, as the 1st gen Yaris had hydraulic power steering. It looks like you would need the steering rack with the control valve assembly and the pump with its mounting bracket and pulley.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
mackntack

Drives: Yaris 1.0 S
thanks for this, it may sound like a bit of work but as I mentioned racks, control valves and pumps all seem to be available at reasonable prices. I was hoping there was nothing 'electronic' involved like modules or plug in bits to cpu's or speed sensors etc etc, I think you have confirmed this.
mackntack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackntack View Post
thanks for this, it may sound like a bit of work but as I mentioned racks, control valves and pumps all seem to be available at reasonable prices. I was hoping there was nothing 'electronic' involved like modules or plug in bits to cpu's or speed sensors etc etc, I think you have confirmed this.

The wiring diagrams for 02 with power steering don't show any electrical connections for power steering, so it appears to be purely mechanical.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, pas, power steering