Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-23-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
lAYJAY

Drives: Yaris
HELP - Wire Speaker through Rear Door (Yaris)

Hi everyone,

I decided to replace the factory speaker from my grilfriend's 2007 Yaris Hatchback. I figured out how to install the front door speakers; I wired the speakers through the rubber connector inside the door.

When I got to the rear doors, things didn't look that easy. I just can't find a damn hole to get the wire through the rear doors. I do see a rubber connector in the door, but it seems like the end of the connector that is in the car finishes with a plastic connector. It looks like its impossible to wire through it, and I don't see any other spot.

Is drilling a new hole my only chance?

Thanks for your help!
lAYJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Keep this post up and please delete your others. Someone with experience and knowledge in this department will get back to you.
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
lAYJAY

Hey Yarisugi,

Thanks for the help, I might just use a Crow Bar...
Old 08-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I'd just used the existing wires. In fact, I used the existing wires when I replaced both front and rear speakers in my HB. Sounds just fine to me.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
lAYJAY

Okay, let me see if I understand correctly. In the door there is a plastic connector (with 2 wires) that goes in the factory speaker. So, If I want to use the actual wires, I would need to cut the plastic connector, which will leave me with two wires, attach these wires to the speakers wires. Then I would get the wires that goes in the radio and redirect them to the back (amplifier)? Will that work?

And, the factory wires are much smaller than the one I have to install. Will they power enough and be resistant considering an amplifier will supply the new speakers?

Thanks for the help
Old 08-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Guys please keep the posts useful when someone is asking a honest question. Is this how we treat new members?
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by lAYJAY View Post
Okay, let me see if I understand correctly. In the door there is a plastic connector (with 2 wires) that goes in the factory speaker. So, If I want to use the actual wires, I would need to cut the plastic connector, which will leave me with two wires, attach these wires to the speakers wires. Then I would get the wires that goes in the radio and redirect them to the back (amplifier)? Will that work?

And, the factory wires are much smaller than the one I have to install. Will they power enough and be resistant considering an amplifier will supply the new speakers?

Thanks for the help
Yup, just as you said, you can do that! That's usually my last resort if I can't swap the wires in the door.
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:06 AM   #8
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Thanks for the delete (I assume it was you, Astroman).
That's how I treat a new member if that's the way the new member spams his/her first post.

If you're going with an amp and aftermarket speakers with thicker gauge wires for the speakers, look at where the factory wires are in the door and follow it. Run the thicker gauge wire the same path the factory wires are fed into the door to the body. Since you're running an amp, your new wires will connect to the amp and not the head unit. The factory wires only lead straight to the head unit. So use the factory wires as a guide until you can get your speaker wires from door to body. Once you have the wires in the cabin, run it to whereever you plan to mount your amp.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #9
lAYJAY

Hi, Heres is a picture of the interior of the car. This is the connector that goes into the rubber hose that goes into the door. See, this connector is in plastic so there is no way to to put the wire around. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

check the picture here: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26911
Old 08-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
I still say cut the speaker connector off and put your aftermarket speaker there. Then splice wire to the speaker wires behind the radio, and run that to your amp. Another option could be to tap off the wires near the door and run that to your amp. Regardless of your choice, looking at that picture, I don't see an easy way to re-run new wires.

A more time consuming way would be to take the connectors apart, pull the pins out for the OEM speaker wires, unsolder the OEM wire, and solder on larger wire on both sides. It's easy if you've done it before. If not, just tap into the wires.
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #11
freubel2002
I've made a post!

Drives: The Yaris
Well, this is an old subject.
But on my Yaris it is actual.
I can not discover how to wire through the pillar of the car.
I know that on the right rear door the wires (red&white) are installed in to the connector in the inner side of the door pillar. On the other side, to the door there are only 2 wires for the door (un)locking. When in the factory the rear doors are assembled i presume that the wires in the doors are assembled. So when they put the door on car i think they put first a connector in the outside of the pillar and then they bold the door on to the chassis.
Is there a way to unconnect and wire my new mounted speakers? I would NOT prefere to drill a hole.

Thanks
freubel2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install speaker, rear door, wiring