Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-07-2017, 04:25 AM   #1
WhatYarisitAgain

Drives: 2004 Yaris
2004 Yaris radio sound only works when you smack right hand side of console

After slapping it several times to get the sound to work, sometimes if you turn on the headlights it stops working again requiring it to be slapped. The lights on the stereo turn off when it's not activated before you slap it. If you slap it successfully to get sound to come out the lights come back on.

Seems like a bad connection. Is that common in these?

I'd like it to work consistently.
WhatYarisitAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #2
Garth g.

Drives: 07 Yaris 2dr hatchback
Did you try taking the radio out of the dash to check the connections? I had a similar problem when I was driving a Yaris sedan had something metal in the trunk touching the basket causing it to short out. I think the radio shuts off when there's interference.
Garth g. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:20 PM   #3
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
Is it an aftermarket stereo? If it is I would take it out and take it out and check all the wiring in the back for clean connections, no exposed wire, twisted and taped wires, etc. A lot of people that install aftermarket stereos do a really poor job which doesn't show up until years after the fact.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:27 PM   #4
WhatYarisitAgain

It's the factory original! I'm sure the dash has been taken apart by previous owners or their mechanics (although it appears tightly put back together with no broken clips/fasteners), as there was previously an alarm installed.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:43 PM   #5
B.B._07

Either way pull the stereo out and make sure the connections in the back are in good shape. The previous alarm might be the cause as well as a lot of wires need to taped or spliced in for the alarm to work and even with the alarm now removed a lot of that modified wiring is probably still under the dash. Take a look under the dash on the drivers side for any leftover stray aftermarket wiring.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:50 PM   #6
WhatYarisitAgain

I would pull it out and I started to do so after watching a YouTube video of a guy explaining how to do it. However, after removing the knobs and ashtray and screws on the stereo and yanking the bottom part of the facia while gently while wiggling the bottom to pull it rearward, I got nervous...I had lifted rearward the bottom of the center facia an inch or two but it's at that point in the video that the guy in the video says don't be shy and instead just pull the whole thing upward to release the top portion. But it really feels like it's going to break the top clips or whatever holds in the top of the facia. So, I put it all back together! Should I have just yanked it hard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H17wTcpkNLo

I stopped at the 33rd second (0:33) of this 2 minute thirty second video where he says "pull it firmly, they can be quite stiff sometimes." He also vaguely says, make sure you disconnect some things..wires and main control. What?
Old 02-09-2017, 08:05 PM   #7
B.B._07

As long as you got all the knobs and screws out then it should come out. The clips are stiff so just apply even pressure, move you hands around, and they will let go. Make sure it's coming out evenly towards you and ounce the clips are out you can swing it up to get at the connectors in the back.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:11 AM   #8
ncp13

Drives: 01 Yaris TS
Got to love the corrective tap test :)

As others said loose conection or broken cold weld on circuitry.
ncp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:43 AM   #9
PaulHberg

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.3 T3 Spirit Aut
I also have a strange scenario going on. Car was stolen and thieves pulled everything apart to try and find the tracker. The dash had to get put together again. Since then, radio/cd player sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, sometimes with, sometimes without the display actually on. Sometimes the display goes crazy and doesn't make sense at all...
PaulHberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2004, connection, not working, radio, sound