Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-08-2010, 03:35 AM   #1
Pingouin

Drives: Yaris
Driving wheel doesn't lock when taking off the key

Hi all,
All the cars I had before my 08 Yaris would let you lock the driving wheel by turning it slightly after pulling out the ignition key (I'm sure you know what I mean). I've always done that for added anti-theft safety, and because I think the insurance is void if your car is stolen and they figure out that you didn't lock the wheel.
Anyway, I'm completely unable to lock the driving wheel on the Yaris. After pulling out the key, I rock the driving wheel slightly left and right, it moves, but never "clicks" into locked position. The user manual seems to suggest that it should lock like any other car. I thought that it might have been stolen at some point (I bought it second hand), but the HPI doesn't mention any theft, and besides, the garage would surely have fixed it before selling it to me (or would they?).
So am I missing something, or is the wheel on a Yaris not lockable?
Thanks for any info!
Pingouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:13 AM   #2
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
You have to move the wheel much more than slightly to get this steering wheel to lock. I thought I had the same problem as you when I got my 2010, but it does lock.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
Pingouin

Drives: Yaris
Ah, yes indeed! Just tried it, and it locks after turning the wheel an 1/8th of a turn to the left! Turning even a 1/4 turn to the right doesn't lock it though.
Thanks for that, it was bothering me since it's an anti-theft feature I always used!
so on my to-do list in the Yaris:
- Press clutch to start
- turn an 1/8th of a turn left to lock.
I might need a Post it on my windscreen!
Pingouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
12345Michael54321

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingouin View Post
I think the insurance is void if your car is stolen and they figure out that you didn't lock the wheel.
I've never encountered this, although if someone has an insurance policy which specifically states that if you fail to lock the wheel you don't collect your money, I'd certainly be interested in learning which insurer issued the policy, and where.
--
Michael
12345Michael54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
Gr8ful_Ken

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 door
Insurance should cover theft even if you leave your keys in the ignition. Good luck finding someone to write you a policy if you have a car stolen because of that.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:15 PM   #6
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingouin View Post
Ah, yes indeed! Just tried it, and it locks after turning the wheel an 1/8th of a turn to the left! Turning even a 1/4 turn to the right doesn't lock it though.
Thanks for that, it was bothering me since it's an anti-theft feature I always used!
so on my to-do list in the Yaris:
- Press clutch to start
- turn an 1/8th of a turn left to lock.
I might need a Post it on my windscreen!
Maybe when CTScott is done with the Yargauge, he could build you a
Heads Up display that would shut off when you leave the car?
That way you wouldn't have a sticky spot on the windscreen!
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote