Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-09-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
xairmech

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback
Remote Starting

Has any one installed a remote start on their 08 Yaris? Will Toyota dealers install one? Am afraid to go to anyplace but Toyota lest my warranty be voided if something goes wrong with the remote start.
xairmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
I have installed it on the 07, which I believe in the starter department is identical, as long as you dont have an immobilizer, which I believe some yarii do.

easy way to see if an aftermarket starter is possible is to have a key made from your master key, just a standard key from anywhere, like wal-mart, and try to drive your car, if you can, you dont have the immobilizer, and you can install the remote starter.

I had to probe with a multimeter to find all the right wires.

Im sure that a dealer would install one, but expect it to come at a premium.
I did mine myself in around an hour or so, and I have a standard, so I had to bypass the clutch switch.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I installed one on my 09 the week I got it and at the same time we installed one in SodiumDuck's 08. My 09 had the immobilizer and his 08 didn't. For mine I had to purchase a key bypass module in addition to the remote starter. The Yaris is the easiest car I have ever installed one on as far as access goes. Everything that you need to connect to is accessible right at the steering column (and the driver side kick panel if you are dong keyless entry at the same time).

Most dealers contract out the install of remote starters, and their choice of 3rd party installer can be hit or miss.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:28 PM   #4
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
I love this RS Viper comes in handy in the winter
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:17 AM   #5
mwalls

Drives: 2008 Yaris 4Dr Sd
Trunk/Hatch Release Selonoid for Yaris Sedan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I installed one on my 09 the week I got it and at the same time we installed one in SodiumDuck's 08. My 09 had the immobilizer and his 08 didn't. For mine I had to purchase a key bypass module in addition to the remote starter. The Yaris is the easiest car I have ever installed one on as far as access goes. Everything that you need to connect to is accessible right at the steering column (and the driver side kick panel if you are dong keyless entry at the same time).

Most dealers contract out the install of remote starters, and their choice of 3rd party installer can be hit or miss.
Did you install a cable actuator selonoid to go with your keyless entry? If so, could you advise which one you used? I guess Toyota doesn't have one they can provide.
mwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:08 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalls View Post
Did you install a cable actuator selonoid to go with your keyless entry? If so, could you advise which one you used? I guess Toyota doesn't have one they can provide.
My 09 came with the power package, so it had power windows and locks. It didn't have the remote entry option though, so I used the UltraStart unit to trigger the power locks.

As for door cable actuators, many here have used the A-1 Electric kit with success.

The same actuator could be used for remote release of a sedan trunk. I haven't done anything yet with popping the hatch open on my LB.

http://www.a1electric.com/catalog/cat_key.htm
Old 12-09-2009, 10:25 PM   #7
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
yeah, remote starting from the kitchen window is awesome. lol crank the heat when I get out at night, so its toasty when I get in in the morning
Old 12-09-2009, 10:50 PM   #8
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
YEEAAAHHHH!! So that is nice and warm
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:52 AM   #9
charleschia1986

Drives: Yaris RUSH HatchBack
Can any1 post a tutorial how to install the remote start.
And where is the cheapest place to buy the needed stuffs..
Thanks

# my 08 yaris comes with the immobilizer
charleschia1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleschia1986 View Post
Can any1 post a tutorial how to install the remote start.
And where is the cheapest place to buy the needed stuffs..
Thanks

# my 08 yaris comes with the immobilizer
The info is out there in bits and pieces through various threads. I really need to put one together. I have all the pics, but just never got around to doing so.

As for where and what to buy, most people like the DEI products (Viper, Python, Clifford, Valet, etc.) for quality/value. If you check out their website (http://www.directed.com/) and find one that you like the specs of, do a quick web search to find the best price.

I installed an UltraStart 1280XR PRO Remote Start/Keyless Entry in my 09. It's been on the car for over a year now and it's been perfect. It has the best range of any remote starter I've ever installed. My 09 has the Engine Immobilizer, so I used the Fortin KEY-OVERRIDE-ALL. It does the key bypass piece without requiring you to bury a key in the dash. It is plug and play to the UltraStart and many other remote starters.

http://www.ultrastarters.com/
http://ifar.ca/en/products/flash/key-override-all/
Old 12-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #11
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
It would be nice to have, however, they have a puffer law in my state. You can't leave a started car unoccupied.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:43 AM   #12
kenkyd
kanye

Drives: 11 Corolla S
Send a message via AIM to kenkyd
Anyone put one in a 5spd? I'm told the unit itself is close to $300, but it's wintery here 8 months basically and I want one.
kenkyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #13
Fazulka

Drives: 2007 Yaris 4dr Sedan Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by xairmech View Post
Has any one installed a remote start on their 08 Yaris? Will Toyota dealers install one? Am afraid to go to anyplace but Toyota lest my warranty be voided if something goes wrong with the remote start.
Look in the DIY forum (the same one this is in) there is a thread called wire in the yaris and what they do. It tell all the wires you need to hook up the remote starter. Other than that there really isn't a step by step that I saw. Just follow the directions that came with the starter. I bought the starter from A1 also, but wouldn't again. You can just look at the model number they sell and buy it much cheaper from amazon. If you are doing the door locks I woul;d buy it from A1. I did all four doors and it works great and it was easy to hook to the remote from the remote starter. The only problem is the clips to hold the sheath of the cable were to tight, so i used a plastic cable holder I had around to lock the sheath in place. If you have any questions shoot me a message.
Fazulka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #14
sickaroll

Drives: 2001 Yaris 1.0
I just ordered a Viper 5701 with remote start, keyless entry for my 2001 Yaris, my mechanic cousin is going to help me install it, should be fun. Looking forward to Remote Start I have to say, saw it on that VW Passat ad, and it looks brilliant.
I presume, as I don't have air con/climate control, only an 'analog' heater, that I'll have to leave the knobs set on to heat (swung clockwise) if I'm to have a nice warm car first thing in the morning when the snow sets in?
Mine look just like these:
http://www.lyonssystemsserver.com/br...-010-PTIMG.jpg

Any idea if I'll need the Immobiliser bypass?
Old 10-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickaroll View Post
I just ordered a Viper 5701 with remote start, keyless entry for my 2001 Yaris, my mechanic cousin is going to help me install it, should be fun. Looking forward to Remote Start I have to say, saw it on that VW Passat ad, and it looks brilliant.
I presume, as I don't have air con/climate control, only an 'analog' heater, that I'll have to leave the knobs set on to heat (swung clockwise) if I'm to have a nice warm car first thing in the morning when the snow sets in?
Mine look just like these:
http://www.lyonssystemsserver.com/br...-010-PTIMG.jpg

Any idea if I'll need the Immobiliser bypass?
For the heat piece, you will need to leave the knobs where you want them. The advantage there is nice and warm in the winter and nice and cool in the summer.

You can tie the rear window defogger to the aux output of the remote starter to clear the back window. Here, where we get frost and snow that can be quite handy.

For the immobilizer piece, look at your ignition switch. If it is all metal then you don't have an immobilizer. If it has about a 3 cm metal part surrounded by black plastic, then you do.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #16
bad
Winterizing

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
defoggers and heated mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
For the heat piece, you will need to leave the knobs where you want them. The advantage there is nice and warm in the winter and nice and cool in the summer.

You can tie the rear window defogger to the aux output of the remote starter to clear the back window. Here, where we get frost and snow that can be quite handy.

For the immobilizer piece, look at your ignition switch. If it is all metal then you don't have an immobilizer. If it has about a 3 cm metal part surrounded by black plastic, then you do.
Is it possible to make the remote starter start up your heated mirrors too? and heck while we are at it what about the heated seats too?
bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad View Post
Is it possible to make the remote starter start up your heated mirrors too? and heck while we are at it what about the heated seats too?
If the starter has enough outputs you can start whatever accessories you want. If it doesn't have enough you would have to use a bunch of relays driven off of the outputs that it does have.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #18
monbonlupin

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
Interesting... So for an Avital 4003 system, to activate the defogger I would have to tie it the (+) OUTPUT TO ACCESSORY CIRCUIT (Orange wire) ?
monbonlupin is offline   Reply With Quote