Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-06-2008, 08:25 PM   #1
goku87

Drives: Black HB
Question Viper Remote Start

In Alaska there four seasons: winter is coming, winter is here, late winter, and road construction. Since its nice and cool outside, I called around to see how much people would charge for a remote start. Average quote I got was approx $400 just for install, excluding the unit itself. And half of the places I asked said they couldn't even do the install because I have a manual transmission.

Due to this I have been thinking about doing an install myself. I have googled for some DIYs and read around, but I couldn't find anything "solid" about putting one on a manual transmission. Did find a few clever ways to check if your car was in neutral though, like this guy on a different forum:

Quote:
an easy and safe way to install remote start on a manual transmission vehicle is this:
remove the center console. with the shifter in neutral, place 2 springs across the shift gate. you have to secure each spring to the body with a self tapping screw. then drill a small pilot hole in your shift lever, followed by screwing the remote start comand wire. make sure the springs are positioned so that in any other position than neutral, the shifter will contact them. basically this will only allow you to remote start the vehicle in neutral, any other gear position will gnd the signal wire and cause no action.
let me know if you need any other info
So, in short, if I buy one of these:

http://www.google.com/products?q=Vip...oducts&show=dd

Would it come with instructions on how to install it on a manual transmission? And how hard would it be?

Thanks in advance.
goku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:58 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I would go with one that is actually designed for a manual. The Viper one will specifically say it is not to be used with MTM. Ultrastart makes ones that are designed for manuals that make you go through a series of steps to arm it for remote starting:

http://www.ultrastarters.com/reservation_mode.html
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
$400 is average for a manual trans car starter.... many places around here will not even install them due to a liability issue. if you have never installed a car starter, I would not start with a manual trans car..... you have to bypass the clutch so that the car thinks it is depressed to start.... and there is going to be that one time you forget and leave your car in gear and drives it's self right in to another car....

but if you still really want one, the only way to go is Compustar
Old 12-06-2008, 11:41 PM   #4
Mobius1
Installer

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
My shop sells both clifford and astro start units and they both have manual transmission modes so I would go with one of those two brands(both owned by dei) because it is a huge danger to install a unit that is not designed for manual transmissions. I have a clifford 3.3x in my yaris and I love it.
Mobius1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:06 AM   #5
battleversiontc

Drives: 08 vip yaris
vipers have manual modes now they do both its basically the same as installing one on a auto with the on difference being that the starter wire is down on the clutch pedal which is a black wire i just installed one recently and switched the setting to auto so i dont have to deal with the whole procedure thing to get it to remote start the next morning but i did tell them to make sure its in neutral first before leaving the car but even if they dont have manual settings on them they still can be installed most places dont install on manual cars to much liability i do them just because they cant trace it back to me
mecp masters certified
battleversiontc is offline   Reply With Quote