Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
yarswiss
Albino truck smasher

Drives: '07 Yaris LB Auto
Newbie mod advice

Hi all, since my Yaris is getting fixed cosmetically, I figured I should improve on some of the other things such as ride comfort and handling.

Other than routine maintenance, I really don't know much about vehicle hardware. I'm looking to start with simple, inexpensive and relatively plug-and-play modifications. I'm on a budget ($200-300), so I need to start with the basics. Of course as time goes on, I will have more wherewithal to invest more on.

I was thinking of starting with front-and-rear sway bars, as I could always use a bit more "chuckability" and stability. I believe these are relatively easy installations. I don't know what brands are out there, but I'd like to find the best bet for money on this. The TRD rear sway is $250, but I'm sure I could find something at about half that.

I'm still undecided on this, but I might want to change my springs as well. Something that will make the ride less floaty around curves, but also absorb the ruts and bumps in the war zone that is known as the LA streets.

I don't wan't to do anything else cosmetically, just make it a more enjoyable car to drive. I'd appreciate all your input and recommendations.

Thanks!
yarswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
$250 for TRD rear sway is way off the mark. TRD Sparks lists for $153 right now.

For probably a little over $300, you should be able to equip yourself with TRD rear sway, and some TRD or Tanabe springs. Would not recommend front sway at this point. Rear sway and springs all you need for your budgeted amount.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarswiss View Post
I was thinking of starting with front-and-rear sway bars, as I could always use a bit more "chuckability" and stability. I believe these are relatively easy installations. I don't know what brands are out there, but I'd like to find the best bet for money on this. The TRD rear sway is $250, but I'm sure I could find something at about half that.
Heavier swaybars don't make a car more "chuckable". They actually make it less forgiving, and thus LESS chuckable. The steering will feel more responsive... but the steering will BE more responsive, which requires you to be a smoother driver. If "chucking" the car is your driving style, you DON'T want to go stiffening the suspension. Stuff like what caused your current body damage will just happen that much easier if you do!

There's also the question of balance. It's a front wheel drive car with the natural tendency toward understeer. You want a big rear swaybar to help make the balance more neutral. You don't want or need a larger front swaybar.

What about wheels and tires? The best upgrade you can make to the handling of any car is better tires.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:30 PM   #4
yarswiss
Albino truck smasher

Drives: '07 Yaris LB Auto
See, this is why I asked So other than TRD sparks, any other places to shop at?

Thank you for the advice, Loren. I'm not looking for a way to turn this car into a semblance of sportiness, just better handling and comfort. As far as tires go, I'll wait until I have enough to invest in some good ones, but my Bridgestone Potenzas aren't too bad for regular driving.
yarswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarswiss View Post
See, this is why I asked So other than TRD sparks, any other places to shop at?

Thank you for the advice, Loren. I'm not looking for a way to turn this car into a semblance of sportiness, just better handling and comfort. As far as tires go, I'll wait until I have enough to invest in some good ones, but my Bridgestone Potenzas aren't too bad for regular driving.
I agree 90% with Loren, and the other 10% is only because I think our definitions of chucking are slightly different. I agree the rear sway bar is probably a much better investment than the front. I only have the rear, so I can't really speak for the front, but the rear sway bar is the best 150 bucks I've spent in my life, cars or not. The only part I disagree with Loren on is I can't imagine a single situation where I wouldn't want my sway bar. Whether its on a turn or changing lanes like a mad man, it always makes me feel more planted, even when jerking the wheel. Before when I jerked the wheel the car would rock back and forth, now the tires just chirp If you have a habit of jerking the wheel 180 degrees or more, then you'll probably be worse off.

Also, if you read around the forum, pretty much EVERYONE hates the bridgestones. You might not notice too much with socal weather(I really didn't) but once I changed I could definitely tell how bad the bridgestones were. TRD sway bar and then tires and wheels are your "most bang for the buck" handling mods, in my opinion.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
TRDsparks is the place to buy the TRD rear sway bar.

By the description of what you are looking, perhaps the Tanabe NF springs will suite you.

That is about all you should be looking as far as suspension goes.

Anything beyond that will make your car more stiff and unconfortable.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
jdinrc

Drives: 2009 Yaris Blazing Blue 3dr
I went with the TRD springs and TRD rear anti-sway bar, and these were enought to greatly improve the ride and the handling. The car doesn't feel so top heavy and sticks the corners like a champ.
jdinrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:43 PM   #8
Loren
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Before when I jerked the wheel the car would rock back and forth, now the tires just chirp
Take a moment and think about that. Really think about it.

Is the tires chirping when you make a lane change a GOOD thing?

I'm not saying the rear swaybar is a bad mod at all... but the Yaris is already known for its tendency to oversteer and snap spin in certain situations with certain (wrong) inputs. Adding the rear swaybar makes that tendency WORSE, not better.

The rear swaybar improves steering response and weight transfer to the inside front tire in a turn (the tire that is normally unloaded and spins when you try to accelerate through a turn). All of the weight that it puts ON the inside front, it removes from the outside rear. That's the way it works, guys.

If you're a good driver and drive SMOOTHLY, the rear swaybar is fantastic! If you drive like a moron and overdrive the car, it's going to get you into trouble eventually. (of course, you're going to find that trouble with or without it)

The whole problem here (and the reason I responded) isn't the rear swaybar... it's the "jerking" of the wheel. Guys, go find yourself an autocross and learn something about REAL performance driving before you kill somebody playing silly games on the street.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:09 PM   #9
TOUGEghost
Mr. Clean

Drives: 2009 Yaris S 3-Door
Does the rear swaybar actually attach to the chassis? If not, it really seems to be more of a "brace" then a true swaybar since the rear wheels are already connected by an axle beam. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not saying the extra siffening doesn't help, though. I actually feel like the car handles remarkably well for a cheap fwd vehicle.

Last edited by TOUGEghost; 03-20-2009 at 12:36 AM.
TOUGEghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:02 AM   #10
Loren
What?

You're absolutely correct, Touge!

The Yaris rear swaybar isn't a "true" swaybar. Not really a brace, either. What it does is reinforces the beam axle, making it more resistant to twisting. The beam axle is designed to twist and behave as a sort of swaybar. Has the same effect as a swaybar, but isn't one in the traditional sense.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:17 AM   #11
The Spectacle

Drives: 08 BSP LB
Loren dropping da knowledge. This man knows what he's talking about!
The Spectacle is offline   Reply With Quote