Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-30-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
mgthompson

Drives: 07 Yaris Base Sedan
To accurately measure MPG when should I fill back up.

When you guys test your MPG do you wait until the last bar is blinking, I usually have two bars when I fill up, but then I can't accurately tell how much MPG I got on a tank full.

My Trip is around 305 with 2 bars and when I fill up it takes about 8.5 gal.

The tank is 11.4 gallons I believe. Can anybody help me on this.

Thanks in advance.
mgthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
The NA tank is 11.1 gallons but in the world of mileage tracking any fill-up over 1/2 your tank size counts. In the NA Yaris this means we'd need to fill up with at least 5.55 gallons in order to log it.

When you fill-up just divide the number of miles you drove since your last fill-up (round it to 1 place to the right of the decimal) by the number of gallons you put in (round it to the 4th place to the right of the decimal).

The resulting number is your MPG.

For an example which we wouldn't log because we don't have enough places to the right of the decimal in the information you gave, you drove 305 miles on 8.5 gallons of gasoline.

305 / 8.5 = 35.882 MPG

For a real-world example, my last fill-up was 6.993 gallons for 324.5 miles driven.

324.5 / 6.993 = 46.404 MPG

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #3
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
my fucking yaris can't never get to 30 mpg. it's really suck
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:56 PM   #4
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal1984 View Post
my fucking yaris can't never get to 30 mpg. it's really suck
Well then pull your leg out of the throttle body, for god's sake!

Seriously, your low MPG is because you're not driving it correctly for high MPG, or there is something wrong with your car, or both. Get the car checked, and get the driver (you) to go to gassavers.org for high MPG driving tips.

To the original poster, to calculate MPG, you can fill up ANYTIME...to calculate the MPG, but know this, that the calculated MPG is an AVERAGE of the gas that your car has consumed since the last fill up, so the closer to empty you get the more accuarate the calculated average MPG will be. You can wait until the car is nearly empty, or half empty or 1/8th empty, but regardless of this, the calculated MPG is an average over the consumed gas.

Get yourself one of these: www.scangauge.com and you can get the instantaneous MPG, average MPG, tank MPG, trip MPG, plus 10+ more parameter values that your car provides this device via a port that all our cars have under the dash.....I have the ScanGauge II and I love this think...when calibrated properly it is dead accurate, and it even shows RPM, water/intake air tempurature, plus many more values...
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
YarisGuy

Drives: 2006 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
Well then pull your leg out of the throttle body, for god's sake!

Seriously, your low MPG is because you're not driving it correctly for high MPG, or there is something wrong with your car, or both. Get the car checked, and get the driver (you) to go to gassavers.org for high MPG driving tips.

To the original poster, to calculate MPG, you can fill up ANYTIME...to calculate the MPG, but know this, that the calculated MPG is an AVERAGE of the gas that your car has consumed since the last fill up, so the closer to empty you get the more accuarate the calculated average MPG will be. You can wait until the car is nearly empty, or half empty or 1/8th empty, but regardless of this, the calculated MPG is an average over the consumed gas.

Get yourself one of these: www.scangauge.com and you can get the instantaneous MPG, average MPG, tank MPG, trip MPG, plus 10+ more parameter values that your car provides this device via a port that all our cars have under the dash.....I have the ScanGauge II and I love this think...when calibrated properly it is dead accurate, and it even shows RPM, water/intake air tempurature, plus many more values...
You hit on all the points I was going to mention
YarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisGuy View Post
You hit on all the points I was going to mention
I read your mind!
Old 03-30-2007, 01:32 PM   #7
jamal1984

i did everything i could man, took it back to dealer.... there is no way i can drive like a grama....problems is i'm carry a 70 pounds sub and amp in the trunk, and i drive like crazy too, it's ok, it's way better than my old Pathfinder.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:33 PM   #8
jamal1984

i even own a 310 ways to save gas (book). hahhahha, i'm happy with my yaris thought
Old 03-30-2007, 01:37 PM   #9
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal1984 View Post
i did everything i could man, took it back to dealer.... there is no way i can drive like a grama....problems is i'm carry a 70 pounds sub and amp in the trunk, and i drive like crazy too, it's ok, it's way better than my old Pathfinder.
Well, I do drive like Grandma most often...and my girlfreind thinks it's sexy!
Old 03-30-2007, 01:44 PM   #10
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
If I get some extra money... ever.... I am going to have to get the scangauge!
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:52 PM   #11
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
You know, all you mileage gurus run up and down these boards saying this and that about how to get your mileage up, but I never see any of you outline it simply for the members that don't feel like scouring yet another web site for information. Not everyone wants to be an expert. Some just want results.

The following goes double for all you manual drivers that have more control over your revs.

The idea of how to improve your mileage is so simple. The gas pedal controls many things, including the amount of fuel being injected into the cylinders. As RPM's go up, fuel consumption climbs with it. The trick to getting wonderful mileage in your car is twofold.

First of all, keep your revs as low as possible without overwhelming your gears. In other words, there is no reason to leave first gear at 4500 RPM as that wastes fuel, but at the same time you don't want to leave first at 1500 RPM either or you will find yourself having to gas the hell out of second to get your car in gear. 2500-3250 RPM's is what I have found to be the ideal shift point in the Yaris depending on how fast you like getting from point A to point B. Keep in mind the Yaris loses about 1000 RPM's per shift (loosely) so if you leave first at 3000 RPM you're entering second at 2000 RPM, which is teriffic. Also, If you're bitching about your gas mileage and you don't have a tach, you have no room to complain. Go get a tach and start paying attention. Your tach will pay for itself after you have used it to raise your MPG a few points.

Second, thanks to BailOut we now know about the DFCO feature. If you're heading down a hill at a speed that allows it, shift to third and take your foot off the throttle entirely. This will cut out fuel consumption. You automatic drivers can do this too... just take it out of overdrive. Since it is probably relatively rare that you find yourself in a situation where you can use this feature long enough to make it worthwhile, I see this as kind of a secondary way to improve mileage. Focus on that gas pedal and keeping your revs just right.

There, mystery solved.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:04 PM   #12
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
ChinoCharles:

I am attempting to contact the site owner in order to request the creation of a "Fuel Economy" forum. If we get that I'll write up some easy-to-follow stuff that can be stickied about both basic and advanced vehicle and driving techniques for fuel efficiency as it regards the Yaris.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:07 PM   #13
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
You know, all you mileage gurus run up and down these boards saying this and that about how to get your mileage up, but I never see any of you outline it simply for the members that don't feel like scouring yet another web site for information. Not everyone wants to be an expert. Some just want results.

The following goes double for all you manual drivers that have more control over your revs.

The idea of how to improve your mileage is so simple. The gas pedal controls many things, including the amount of fuel being injected into the cylinders. As RPM's go up, fuel consumption climbs with it. The trick to getting wonderful mileage in your car is twofold.

First of all, keep your revs as low as possible without overwhelming your gears. In other words, there is no reason to leave first gear at 4500 RPM as that wastes fuel, but at the same time you don't want to leave first at 1500 RPM either or you will find yourself having to gas the hell out of second to get your car in gear. 2500-3250 RPM's is what I have found to be the ideal shift point in the Yaris depending on how fast you like getting from point A to point B. Keep in mind the Yaris loses about 1000 RPM's per shift (loosely) so if you leave first at 3000 RPM you're entering second at 2000 RPM, which is teriffic. Also, If you're bitching about your gas mileage and you don't have a tach, you have no room to complain. Go get a tach and start paying attention. Your tach will pay for itself after you have used it to raise your MPG a few points.

Second, thanks to BailOut we now know about the DFCO feature. If you're heading down a hill at a speed that allows it, shift to third and take your foot off the throttle entirely. This will cut out fuel consumption. You automatic drivers can do this too... just take it out of overdrive. Since it is probably relatively rare that you find yourself in a situation where you can use this feature long enough to make it worthwhile, I see this as kind of a secondary way to improve mileage. Focus on that gas pedal and keeping your revs just right.

There, mystery solved.
Wrong! Mystery NOT solved so easily. Knowledge is power.

What is wrong with turning others on to anothe web site, that specializes in saving gas? I find your admonishment inappropriate, and defeats the whole value of such forums. We exchange ideas here, we provide our best knowledge, and take other's knowledge so we all can benefit...why poo-poo this?

Saving MPG is not just about RPM's....this is a drastic over simplification.

It's also about engine load (vacuum), and the ScanGauge II provides a display of this parameter realtime. Don't you realize that shifting with too low RPM's can boost engine vacuum very high? High Vacuum means high fuel consumption, so shifting too early to keep the rev's down can often burn gas faster then shifting at higher RPM's, so to suggest that high RPM's = low MPG is not necessarily true in all cases.

The site gasavers.org (or gassavers.org) provides many tips on saving gas, that anyone can learn from, if they want to lean how to drive for highest MPG. Those that want to save gas are morons for ignoring such sites, as there are many.

And nobody requires a tachometer to increase MPG, but of course it helps, or can make it easier, but certainlly not a gotta-have.

Some want results? Sure, but the best results are only received from knowledge, and no one has to be an "expert" to glean the many, many tips of getting the best MPG from our cars.

Why the attitude?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:22 PM   #14
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
so to suggest that high RPM's = low MPG is not necessarily true in all cases.
I understand that there is a happy medium. Notice I mentioned that low RPM's can result in low mileage too, and I even listed the window of proper shift points for this car, none of which would qualify as "high RPM's."

Do you ever argue a point or do you just like reading your own posts?

All I am saying is getting good gas mileage on a car like this is WAY the hell simpler than most hypermilers make it seem on this site. Instead of writing a dissertation on gas mileage spread across 50 threads, why don't one of you just post a thread... "how to get good gas mileage." It isn't rocket science!

If you guys come back at me for this saying I'm a jerk, it will prove who is posting for the betterment of fellow member's experiences... and it will prove who posts just to post.

BailOut, I nominate you. At least you know what you're talking about.

And to answer your question, the frustration looms from your total lack of understanding of our membership... among other things. I don't go to school with Jamal or anything, but I would bet 50 bucks he would rather have someone just give him a couple reasonably easy tips on how to improve his shitty mileage rather than you saying "hey, go read this whole site." You have to know your audience in order to help effectively.

Knowledge is power... and ignorance is bliss.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:34 PM   #15
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
I understand that there is a happy medium. Notice I mentioned that low RPM's can result in low mileage too, and I even listed the window of proper shift points for this car, none of which would qualify as "high RPM's."

Do you ever argue a point or do you just like reading your own posts?

All I am saying is getting good gas mileage on a car like this is WAY the hell simpler than most hypermilers make it seem on this site. Instead of writing a dissertation on gas mileage spread across 50 threads, why don't one of you just post a thread... "how to get good gas mileage." It isn't rocket science!

If you guys come back at me for this saying I'm a jerk, it will prove who is posting for the betterment of fellow member's experiences... and it will prove who posts just to post.

BailOut, I nominate you. At least you know what you're talking about.

And to answer your question, the frustration looms from your total lack of understanding of our membership... among other things. I don't go to school with Jamal or anything, but I would bet 50 bucks he would rather have someone just give him a couple reasonably easy tips on how to improve his shitty mileage rather than you saying "hey, go read this whole site." You have to know your audience in order to help effectively.

Knowledge is power... and ignorance is bliss.
Nope, I disagree....pointing Jamal to anothe web site that specializes in MPG gains is better then posting a response on this teeny tiny thread...my advice is about quality of information...that site will do more for him then a several words I or anyone can write in a thread.

Threads are a clearinghouse for information...some responses can give the answer in one response....others are best answered by a more detailed site.

I would bet you $100 that Jamal, being a smart dude, would rather view a site specific to MPG gains then the massively condense advise I or any one can give him on this thread.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:01 PM   #16
pc1x1

Drives: Yaris 2007 Liftback (Jan 07)
Wink

Poor Jamal, he got into this lol
pc1x1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:01 PM   #17
jamal1984

What? are they talking bad about me? i'm too lazy too read the whole thing, hey don't talk bad about me, I'm Out, hahhaha. Well i guess i'm not lucky or too lazy to follow all the things to save gas, but i'm happy with 28 mpg with my craZy YARIS.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:07 PM   #18
jamal1984

hey guys calm down, it's hard to say who is right and who is wrong, i'm still collecting all the informations to get my baby (jamal yaris) for better MPG. any comments or opinions from all of you is really help, including the site... etc. plus my 310 ways to save gas (book) i got it from BORDERS for around $10 bucks. That book is weeird.