Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-05-2020, 09:38 PM   #37
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Or do this...

https://vimeo.com/299451522

Cost too much.
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #38
sellis

Drives: 2009 hatch
I have been thinking that 4 wheel drive and lower gears would be nice. My biggest complaint with the Yaris is it is geared to high. And then adding big tire makes it worse. 2nd gen Rav is my current choice. Full engine and trans swap. looks like it will fit but not committed enough yet to fully investigate. And adaptor to the Yaris motor may also work but the extra torque from the Rav engine would be nice.

Was thinking to just modify the rear beam by welding in trimmed Rav rear hubs. Lower and a little farther back than stock should allow axel to miss springs and will allow stock springs without spacers. And a little more space at the front of rear wheel will be nice. Will loose the spare tire well. Simple beam across to hold diff mounts. Question is how high can the diff set with the gas tank. A solid drive shaft (small) may help... A custom tank with the driveshaft through the middle may work also. I want max ground clearance so don't want it hanging down.

Next issue is keeping the exhaust up. Going to be a problem routing the rear drive and exhaust down the tunnel at front. May need to lower the front beam a bit but would like to avoid that also. Would not be apposed to using some of the passenger floor for exhaust. I don't have to sit there :)

Steering rack will likely need to move some also to allow rear drive which may require modified hubs to keep tie rods level-ish.

Anyway, Not a weekend project but looks like a hell of a lot of fun. Wish I had more spare time... or any spare time :)
sellis is offline   Reply With Quote