Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-13-2020, 08:22 PM   #1
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Rear axle swap out for disc brake upgrade + 5 lug conversion

Aloha YW! I hope everyone is being healthy and staying safe. I'm sure I'm not the only one that can't wait to put behind this pandemic that's crippling the world. In the mean time, I'm staying at home unless absolutely necessary to go out.

While at home, I get to sit down more to think and surf the internet. I've revisited some of the old threads here, and also some more recent ones, taking your ideas as to what I can do my Dee Dee.

I'm almost done with all the exterior mods that I want to do, just looking for side skirts that are decently priced, and waiting for the weather here in SOCAL to get warmer, so I can color match the added bodykit and spoiler. I'm having a dilemma picking which wheels to get, the title should give you an idea why.

After addressing the exterior mods, I obviously want to tackle the performance portion next. I'm aiming to do an engine swap, then handling upgrades, like brakes, sway bars, then suspension in that order I think. Or I might just keep my current suspension set up. I'm on Tein's lowering springs right now, the first thing I did to Dee Dee, and already I felt a significant change in her handling, lower center of gravity and less body roll. And I like how the ride is still comfortable. I'm not going to track her much, if at all, so I don't feel the need for a full coilover upgrade. What do you guys think? Anyone out there using TEIN Street Advance Z Adjustable Coilovers? How's your ride comfort?

So like I said, I've been doing a lot of thinking, and revisiting of the threads. There's old thread about five lug conversion, and there's threads about rear disc conversion upgrade. Well, I was coming out of a grocery store on Saturday, and a Scion xB was parked next to me. Not the old boxy ones, but the more newer model with five lugged wheels. Anyway, I just realized how huge the rear rotors are! According to AutoZone, they're 279mm in diameter! The front are 275mm. That's a hell of an upgrade if I could ever get them to fit my Dee Dee. Soooo... I was wondering if the Scion xBs rear axle would fit our car? And for the front, would the xBs front wheel hub spine fit the Yaris' or xDs, or whatever that can be substituted to mate to our transmission. I guess I have some researching to do.
So this is where my dilemma lies, choosing between 4 lug wheels or 5 lug wheels? LOL! The wheels I have in mind are 16X8 ET 25, wrapped in 195/50. I've seen some 4X100 in that configuration, not sure about 5X114.3 though.
I guess it can wait for now, cause right now all this plan is just in my mind. Who knows when I'll get to the next step of the plan.
My apologies if I'm just rambling, I just thought I wanted to share.
Be safe everyone, and stay healthy.
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:13 AM   #2
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Not sure about the rear xb rotors but the yaris and xD's front bearing and hub are interchangeable. ie, theres nothing stopping you from using the 5 lug equipment on the yaris driveshaft. So if you wanted the 5 lug xD front hubs, press out the 4 lug yaris ones and press in the 5 lug xD hubs. Warning: the bearing will probably be garbage after removing the hub.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:02 PM   #3
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
rear disc brakes are expensive and overkill unless youre going to be doing a lot of racing/lapping.

good front pads and just about any kind of rotor will be good for a DD
Old 04-15-2020, 07:49 PM   #4
Neinris

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
Not sure about the rear xb rotors but the yaris and xD's front bearing and hub are interchangeable. ie, theres nothing stopping you from using the 5 lug equipment on the yaris driveshaft. So if you wanted the 5 lug xD front hubs, press out the 4 lug yaris ones and press in the 5 lug xD hubs. Warning: the bearing will probably be garbage after removing the hub.
I'm just brainstorming right now really and just putting out what's on my mind. Your conversion is what gave me the idea about maybe swapping the xB axle instead of a the 3rd GEN Yaris SE for the rear disc conversion. And at the same time give ideas to those who wanted to do a 5 lug conversion. The 5 lug pattern for the xD is 5X100, the 5 lugged xB are 5X114.5 which have better wheels selection.
Your right, the bearings will be trash after swapping the hubs. I messed up when I did a 5 lug conversion on my 92 Prelude, I didn't support the inner racer when I was pressing in the hub, not knowing that they come in halves. As I was pressing it in, the bottom half came apart but not fall out, I pressed it in the other way hoping that it'd be fine. I few weeks later I had to replace that bearing even though it was brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
rear disc brakes are expensive and overkill unless youre going to be doing a lot of racing/lapping.

good front pads and just about any kind of rotor will be good for a DD
I don't know about rear disc brakes being overkill and expensive. Wouldn't disc brakes (pads) last longer than drums(shoes)? Wouldn't you get a better bang for your buck? OK, maybe 179mm rotors for the rear and 175mm for the front on a Yaris would be overkill... LOL!!!

But, replacing pads are easier than replacing shoes for me.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:43 PM   #5
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
I too have thought about doing a rear brake conversion as well as upgrade the front brakes. That said, I don't track or autocross my car and have found the stock brakes to be fine. I will be purchasing Hawk pads and a decent quality set of blank rotors fairly soon. I have also been speaking to another modified Yaris owner and he directed me to the RunStop products out of Thailand, I believe. They have an oversized front rotor (285 mm vs stock 255 mm) and different caliper bracket. I will probably just do the Hawk pads and stock-sized quality rotor. However, I will be watching this build with great enthusiasm if you go forth with it, Neinris. I hope you do.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:33 PM   #6
Neinris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
I too have thought about doing a rear brake conversion as well as upgrade the front brakes. That said, I don't track or autocross my car and have found the stock brakes to be fine. I will be purchasing Hawk pads and a decent quality set of blank rotors fairly soon. I have also been speaking to another modified Yaris owner and he directed me to the RunStop products out of Thailand, I believe. They have an oversized front rotor and different caliper bracket. I will probably just do the Hawk pads and stock-sized quality rotor. However, I will be watching this build with great enthusiasm if you go forth with it, Neinris. I hope you do.
WOW! You'll watch me?!! I'm flattered. I'm the one who's been following your thread here and Toyotanation, and watched all your YouTube videos I think so far. You've done really, really well with your Yaris. I've left a reply in the MCM Yaris video I said to turbo it and linked them your build, this was right after they had just installed the 2ZR-FE.

If the aim is to just improve the braking performance, then I believe the SE larger front rotors and rear disc upgrades are way more than adequate. You can ask MyFirstYota about that, I believe he has first hand experience.

Like I said though, I'm just putting out what's running in my head. I've seen a set of Skyline R32 wheels in eBay, and thought they'd look cool on the Yaris. I think they'd mount flushed with the fenders, would have to get hub centric adapters though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Nissan-...bf76%7Ciid%3A1

Another thing that's been running in my mind, I believe that the rear disc conversion can be done without swapping the axle. You just need to trace the mounting plate from the SE axle or from the xB (the xB would probably require redrilling holes on the hub for the bolts to mate on the mounting plate), transfer it on a strong metal plate, (I'm not an engineer so I don't know the minimum thickness and material, so let's say 10mm steel?). The rear wheels are 5mm recessed in compare to the front (this is true for the 2nd GEN, not sure about the rest), adding the plate 10mm will make them stick out 5mm further than the front. If 5mm thick steel plate are strong enough to hold the rear caliper then I think it'd be perfect! You'll need all the hardware like longer bolts to mount the rear hubs, calipers, rotors, ebrake cables and also will need to weld the brackets for the ebrake cables.

Maybe CrankyOldMan can get better use of the xB conversion now that he owns the Armstrong Racing Vios? Swap out the knuckles up front, not sure if the axle spline count and diameter for the hub are the same though. If it works then you'd have bigger rotors (better stopping power?), and better wheel selection. what say you Crannky?
Old 04-16-2020, 10:25 AM   #7
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
WOW! You'll watch me?!! I'm flattered. I'm the one who's been following your thread here and Toyotanation, and watched all your YouTube videos I think so far. You've done really, really well with your Yaris. I've left a reply in the MCM Yaris video I said to turbo it and linked them your build, this was right after they had just installed the 2ZR-FE.

If the aim is to just improve the braking performance, then I believe the SE larger front rotors and rear disc upgrades are way more than adequate. You can ask MyFirstYota about that, I believe he has first hand experience.

Like I said though, I'm just putting out what's running in my head. I've seen a set of Skyline R32 wheels in eBay, and thought they'd look cool on the Yaris. I think they'd mount flushed with the fenders, would have to get hub centric adapters though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Nissan-...bf76%7Ciid%3A1

Another thing that's been running in my mind, I believe that the rear disc conversion can be done without swapping the axle. You just need to trace the mounting plate from the SE axle or from the xB (the xB would probably require redrilling holes on the hub for the bolts to mate on the mounting plate), transfer it on a strong metal plate, (I'm not an engineer so I don't know the minimum thickness and material, so let's say 10mm steel?). The rear wheels are 5mm recessed in compare to the front (this is true for the 2nd GEN, not sure about the rest), adding the plate 10mm will make them stick out 5mm further than the front. If 5mm thick steel plate are strong enough to hold the rear caliper then I think it'd be perfect! You'll need all the hardware like longer bolts to mount the rear hubs, calipers, rotors, ebrake cables and also will need to weld the brackets for the ebrake cables.

Maybe CrankyOldMan can get better use of the xB conversion now that he owns the Armstrong Racing Vios? Swap out the knuckles up front, not sure if the axle spline count and diameter for the hub are the same though. If it works then you'd have bigger rotors (better stopping power?), and better wheel selection. what say you Crannky?
Thanks! Everything I accomplished was only because of the guys here on YW. I definitely could not have done it without them. Of course I'll be following your progress. It's very interesting to me. I love your idea about fabricating a plate to adapt the rear caliper/disc setup.

BTW, I think those Skyline wheels would look smashing on a Yaris.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:05 PM   #8
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
As others have pointed out, you don't need rear disc brakes. Having raced our Yaris at some of the fastest tracks in North America: Daytona, Road America, Indy, and some slower ones that murder brakes, we never ran anything but stock shoes in the rear.

Now if you want the look just press the easy button and swap in the SE front and rear set.

You really don't want 5 lug hubs on a small car like this... The 5-100 just plain sucks for wheel selection. And the 5-114.3 is really only good for 17"+ choices.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:12 PM   #9
Neinris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
As others have pointed out, you don't need rear disc brakes. Having raced our Yaris at some of the fastest tracks in North America: Daytona, Road America, Indy, and some slower ones that murder brakes, we never ran anything but stock shoes in the rear.

Now if you want the look just press the easy button and swap in the SE front and rear set.

You really don't want 5 lug hubs on a small car like this... The 5-100 just plain sucks for wheel selection. And the 5-114.3 is really only good for 17"+ choices.
Duly noted about not needing disc brakes in the rear, but it'd definitely look better with disc brakes all around.
Swapping the SE rear axle might be the easiest route for the rear disc conversion, but proves to be more difficult cause I can't readily find the axle, and it's more pricey than say you trace the mounting plate and do the sandwich kit. Welding will be required for ebrake cable brackets.
If I were to do the 5 lug conversion, I'd use the xB stuff, it would be a hell of a brake upgrade and cool factors, plus I'd rather do the 5X114.3, didn't you see that ebay wheels that I posted? I think they're beautiful! Might look even better on the Vios.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:31 PM   #10
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
Our resident SCCA National Champion (Jason@SportsCar) has run stock rear drums for years on his HP and B Spec Yarii, says that there really isn't a need to mess with it since almost all of the braking happens up front anyway.

I've considered it for my DD as well, mostly for cosmetic purposes. It's already running Corolla calipers and SE rotors up front. That said, Project 2ZR Vios would be an interesting candidate for a rear-disc conversion. It would also require the brake balancer from an SE, or an aftermarket equivalent.

Edit*

Probably should have read the entire thread before replying.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:15 PM   #11
Neinris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post

Edit*

Probably should have read the entire thread before replying.
It's all good Cranky, the thread does cover two topics about disc brake upgrade and five lug conversion. I'm just glad to hear you chime in.

I wonder if we'll see the GR Yaris on our shores? That's five lugged.

I might dump this idea anyway, I've been eyeing some 4X100 wheels already for months. I just thought the Skyline R32 wheels, 16X8 ET30, would look sick on a Yaris, even better on a Vios.

If I ever do pursue it, I'll let you all know.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:49 PM   #12
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
GR yaris is basically using a scion xd setup for 5lug.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:36 AM   #13
Neinris

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
GR yaris is basically using a scion xd setup for 5lug.
Ewww... 5X100... LOL!!! I thought they looked like 5X114.3...
Old 02-15-2023, 08:33 PM   #14
Neinris

The hunt for 5 X 114.3 PCD continues...

Yaris rear wheel hub...
Yaris rear hub.jpg

2nd GEN Scion xB rear wheel hub (5 x 114.3)...
2nd Gen Scion xB rear hub.jpg

Interesting...

Adding this to my "To Do" project.
Old 02-15-2023, 11:37 PM   #15
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
Yaris rear wheel hub...
Attachment 62483

2nd GEN Scion xB rear wheel hub (5 x 114.3)...
Attachment 62484

Interesting...

Adding this to my "To Do" project.
is it the same axle mounting?...i mean 5x114 opens the world to basicly every wheel imagineable.....makes me wonder if the front spindle/hub is also the same "fit"

NO NO NO NO bad...im staying true to my 4x100...but the 1st gen toaster XB that will be soon.....hmmmmmmmm
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 06:25 AM   #16
Neinris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
is it the same axle mounting?...i mean 5x114 opens the world to basicly every wheel imagineable.....makes me wonder if the front spindle/hub is also the same "fit"

NO NO NO NO bad...im staying true to my 4x100...but the 1st gen toaster XB that will be soon.....hmmmmmmmm

Yes, my theory is that the 2nd GEN xB (xB2) also uses the Yaris/xD rear axle frame. If so, then the hunt for the Yaris SE rear axle frame stops and pursue looking for the 2nd GEN xB’s axle frame for rear disc conversion!!!

The front spindle for the xB2 are already pressed in the bearing, they do have the same spine count (26), and I think if you press them out, they’ll fit in the Yaris’ front bearings.

I should ask my neighbor if I can take measurements of his 2nd Gen xB.
Old 02-16-2023, 12:55 PM   #17
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
or ask me...ive got an 08 in the driveway...waiting on headlights so i can get it back on the road

im assuming your trying to verify if it into the 07 yaris body?..as well as width and spring pocket local..anything else?
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 02:33 PM   #18
Neinris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
or ask me...ive got an 08 in the driveway...waiting on headlights so i can get it back on the road

im assuming your trying to verify if it into the 07 yaris body?..as well as width and spring pocket local..anything else?
Yes please… yes to all of the above. And verify if the wheel hubs mounting holes are the same…

Also, would you mind removing the splash guard and caliper bracket, and take a pic of the mounting holes? If it lines up when I overlay a of my adaptor plate, then it’s confirmed that it can be used as a substitute for rear disc conversion.
My guess is that the xB calipers and carriers are moved out from the center to be able to take the big rotors.