Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
.steven.

Drives: Toyota Vitz
Front bumper problem.

I own a Toyota Vitz (Second Generation) and I have a slight problem with the front bumper. I recently hit another car but I didn't do any damage as I barely touched the other car's bumper. The front bumper of my car got a bit pushed in but I've managed to pop it back out. The problem is that the bumper is slightly unaligned and I'm pretty sure that I've lost some clips or whatever the bumper is attached with. What can I do to align the bumper like it originally was and how am I supposed to know if I have something missing?

I apologize if this isn't the right section to post this thread to but I'm new to these forums and don't really know which is the right section to post this to yet.
.steven. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:39 AM   #2
.steven.

Seems like the problem isn't as small as I thought it is.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
It's just that a problem such as you described is impossible to diaqnose from afar particularly without any pics.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
.steven.

I will upload a couple of pictures later on to show what I meant by 'unaligned'. As for the clips or whatever that I might have missing, I'm sure about one certain clip that is located just under the bonnet as I can see that area but I probably won't be able to know whether I have more clips or other bits missing in other areas of the bumper or not.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:29 AM   #5
.steven.

Finally, I have some time to update this thread. I managed to see what's missing on the bumper and turns out that I've only lost 7 small cheap clips that are located just over the top of the front bumper and they were pretty easy to replace. The bumper is still slightly bent (not cracked) but I don't know whether I need to replace the whole bumper with a new one or not. Is there a way to bend it back to how it originally was?
Old 04-25-2011, 06:00 AM   #6
rl67pinoy

Drives: 2007 Ghetto VITZ
you could probably bend back the bumper mount , find out which one is bent take the bumper off . as far as the plastic bumper. not so sure how to bend it back.
rl67pinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.
Even if it was cracked cant it be repaired? Melted back together then polished or something then painted to look like new?
Old 04-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #8
.steven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rl67pinoy View Post
you could probably bend back the bumper mount , find out which one is bent take the bumper off . as far as the plastic bumper. not so sure how to bend it back.
I don't know if the mount is bent too but I'm pretty sure that it's just the plastic bumper as I barely touched the other car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Kevin. View Post
Even if it was cracked cant it be repaired? Melted back together then polished or something then painted to look like new?
Probably, yes it can be easily fixed. In fact I'm starting to think that it's actually harder to fix a bent bumper than a cracked one. I have no idea of what can be done.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #9
rl67pinoy

Drives: 2007 Ghetto VITZ
where is the pic?
rl67pinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
.steven.

Still need to take a decent one. I tried to take a picture earlier today but it was dark already and my Vitz is black so it wasn't very noticeable. I'll try to take one tomorrow morning.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:26 AM   #11
.steven.

Finally, I had the chance to get some pictures and update this thread. So, this is the problem I was talking about. I know that most of you will probably tell me that it shouldn't bother me as it's not that bad or some of you might not even notice it but it's there and it bothers me. I don't know if it's just the plastic bumper or the mount and I don't know what I could do to fix it either.

Last edited by .steven.; 08-10-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:00 AM   #12
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Looking at the angle you took the pics I really can't see anything. Take some more looking from the side across and from the front towards the windshield. I do know my neighbor had rearended a car in front of her with very slight damage to her car. The repair facility told her it was cheaper to replace the plastic front bumper than try to fix it.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:20 AM   #13
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Yeah, can't really tell what the problem is by those pics. Only thing I can see is the gap between bumper facia and hood is slightly larger on the left compared to the right. If this is the extent of your issue, I'd say live with it.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #14
.steven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klink10 View Post
Looking at the angle you took the pics I really can't see anything. Take some more looking from the side across and from the front towards the windshield. I do know my neighbor had rearended a car in front of her with very slight damage to her car. The repair facility told her it was cheaper to replace the plastic front bumper than try to fix it.
The gap between the hood and the bumper get slightly wider where the red circle is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Yeah, can't really tell what the problem is by those pics. Only thing I can see is the gap between bumper facia and hood is slightly larger on the left compared to the right. If this is the extent of your issue, I'd say live with it.
Actually, you can cause that is exactly what the red circle is showing. As I said some might say that it shouldn't bother me or that it's not even worth fixing but it does bother me.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #15
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Ok, I understand what you are talking about. Try loosening the bolts/nuts that attach the hood to the hinges and adjust the gap to where you want it. Then re-tighten them when all looks right.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #16
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
one thing to try is that there are two hood stops under the hood. they are plastic (maybe rubber) and screw into place. you could try adjusting the height of the hood stops. if the gap doesn't vary that much, you could do this and see what you think. maybe mark the hood stops where they are and go back to that position if you don't like it.

just an idea.
BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:42 PM   #17
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
The DING is more obvious and worse than the gap! :<(
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:58 AM   #18
henry98

Drives: toyota
I think without picture's we can't tell anything so pls post the pic's.