Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-16-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Bumper Vent

Considering cutting a hole in my bumper where my bumper is cracked. The hole would go from body bend below headlight down to body bend just above fog light and about 4" wide. I would then put a metal frame on inside of bumper held on by 3m tape just for support, it would outline the hole. Then put some weather stripping (the kind everyone got from Home Depot and made a lip kit from) and place that over/around hole to make a smooth look. And finally run some black grill mesh behind it. It would pull air in, but since it is on the passenged side of the bumper, it would not be very functional since the washer fluid container sits just behind it. This is merely because i don't have the money for new bumper, was advised it's not worth fixing, and think it would be fun. Any advice?
Old 04-16-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
i just was thinking about this but on the back bumper like some civics

doo ittt
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.
Mines chipped they want 1000$ CAD to have it fully redone fuck that man. I live with the saddening crack daily though
Old 04-17-2011, 01:29 AM   #4
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

ill try it out and post pics.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:07 AM   #5
Freedan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Bayou Blue 3DR Lift
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Kevin. View Post
Mines chipped they want 1000$ CAD to have it fully redone fuck that man. I live with the saddening crack daily though
Ever thought about getting a Band-aid decal and using that to cover the crack?

Seen a car that did that around here and it's pretty cool how they turned a blemish into a fashion statement.
Freedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:25 AM   #6
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

haha. actually, i considered something like that once
Old 04-17-2011, 03:03 AM   #7
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
In PR some guys have done what you want to do, when I find the pick I'll post it up, you will go nuts lol
TRD sportivo springs,Tokico Blue Shock/Struts,TRD rear sway bar & front bar,Tanabe engine bar,MI hoses (red), MI engine cover,SRI intake,VIOS vent visors,VIOS foglights,VIOS tails (HELLA lights & the Series 5 too),VIOS radio,VIOS badge,VIOS grill,18 inch R-1 rims wrapped in nankang tires 215/35-18z,chrome handles,retrofited the headlights, SHARK body kit (VIOS), Coming soon projectors heads with LED strip, Custom seats, MI hood lifts,MI momo steering wheel, sound system :)
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

awesome. thanks. and if you do see them, ask them how they made it.

Last edited by TickleTimeTim; 04-17-2011 at 02:19 PM.
TickleTimeTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

i have been looking everywhere to see if i can find a universal vent that would look decent being mounted into the bumper but am having no luck. I might really have to make the entire housing. Any one know a good place to look for mesh vents? i tried o reily, auto zone, and advance auto parts. Thinking about going to a salvage yard and finding fog light housing off of some old car and the ripping off backing and running mesh in it.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #10
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
For some reason my cel, doesn't want to download the pic just go on the caribbean forum and look for this thread (Desivo) go to the last post and go up post that baby up, and let me know what you think.
TRD sportivo springs,Tokico Blue Shock/Struts,TRD rear sway bar & front bar,Tanabe engine bar,MI hoses (red), MI engine cover,SRI intake,VIOS vent visors,VIOS foglights,VIOS tails (HELLA lights & the Series 5 too),VIOS radio,VIOS badge,VIOS grill,18 inch R-1 rims wrapped in nankang tires 215/35-18z,chrome handles,retrofited the headlights, SHARK body kit (VIOS), Coming soon projectors heads with LED strip, Custom seats, MI hood lifts,MI momo steering wheel, sound system :)
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:11 PM   #11
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Do you just need a new bumper cover? I've found some Korean knock offs locally for less than 50.00, primed. For almost the price of the DIY stuff you'd need you might be able to get a new bumper.
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:41 PM   #12
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

post a link for the bumper. yeah that's what i need but i bought a few parts towards the project. ill look for that post. thanks.

well, i looked, and could not find the post. sorry i so dumb
Old 04-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #13
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleTimeTim View Post
post a link for the bumper. yeah that's what i need but i bought a few parts towards the project. ill look for that post. thanks.
For the life of me I can't remember the name of the company...they are local and have an east coast warehouse as well. I'll try my best to track it down for you(and myself as well, I still need stuff). The fact that I forgot the name has been bothering me all morning, I would have included the link otherwise.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #14
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

The parts that totalled up $10

Hopefully this thing will function as a vent

So, here's the plan (and someone chime in if you have a better idea), I'm going to cut off the back of the funnel after i paint it black to where i only have about the front inch of the funnel left. I then want to attach black mesh to the back end of the funnel that i cut off, prob with zip ties (for lack of a better idea). I will cut a square into the bumper over the damage and then put the funnel in the bumper where the lip on the funnel will catch the bumper. ill then secure it with 3m tape a little on the oustide, but mainly on the inside.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by TickleTimeTim; 04-18-2011 at 07:03 PM.
TickleTimeTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #15
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

so my work computer doesn't show pics, could someone please let me know if you see a pic of my bumper in the previous post?

and mazilla, please keep me updated
Old 04-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #16
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
do you have headlight tint on those? or is it the eurolight kit?
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #17
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

vht night shades, sprayed some on. it was too dark before and i had to remove some and start over.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #18
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Still looking for that company...

Just wanted to ad, I just fixed a crack about twice the size of yours in my bumper. Mine was 95% hidden so I did a half arsed job, but it can be fixed in a couple of hours using epoxy stick(as a backing) and a syringe of 2 part plastic epoxy(to fill the crack). If you take your time it'll come out pretty clean.