Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-16-2007, 01:16 AM   #1
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

Drives: 2007 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to sdmf
rotrex supercharger

ok i was surfing the net and i stumbled upon this beauty. http://www.rotrex.com/ i saw some of the numbers this s/c and wow, its more efficient than a turbo, (maintainance, cooling, lifespan, etc.) the only problem is you have to make your own piping, the numbers are waay better than the blitz sc. anyone know how to do some mandrel bending?

Strength - Determination - Merciless - Forever
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:44 AM   #2
turboyaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to turboyaris
http://www.w2wpowertrain.com/pc-25-6...100-280hp.aspx
don't know if there is enough room, but that would be easy enough to check out by looking and taking some measuring. I couldn't tell you overall costs of a kit with piping and all, but it would be something to check out. Depending on the diameter of the piping and the angle of the bend, you don't always have to have it mandrel bent.
turboyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:28 AM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Those are some pretty impressive units, but not cheap, you'll be looking at roughly the same pricing as a turbo kit, which would end up giving you more power, and more expandability options...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:18 AM   #4
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Those are some pretty impressive units, but not cheap, you'll be looking at roughly the same pricing as a turbo kit, which would end up giving you more power, and more expandability options...
true. if you went turbo you could always add boost/upgrade to bigger turbo. with the rotrex you can't push it pass its limits. and at the end of it all you wont save any money with the rotrex.
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:57 AM   #5
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Yea the rotrex itself is pretty pricey, but IMO its a great pick anyway.

The piping wouldnt get too crazy... could probably DIY if you made the cuts and took it to any welder.

I'd look into it at least... i think you may have some pulley issues though.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

well sure its a lil pricey but superchargers have power on demand with no lag. how many horses do you want on a yaris anyway, i was only hoping to get to the 200 mark, which would totally be possible with the rotrex, it acts like a turbo but less maintainance and no cooling issues. unlike the turbo. i also noticed s/c last longer than turbos. its about the same price as the zpi kit. i should start saving then we can have s/c vs. turbo showdown. hehehehe

Old 05-16-2007, 12:00 PM   #7
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post
well sure its a lil pricey but superchargers have power on demand with no lag. how many horses do you want on a yaris anyway, i was only hoping to get to the 200 mark, which would totally be possible with the rotrex, it acts like a turbo but less maintainance and no cooling issues. unlike the turbo. i also noticed s/c last longer than turbos. its about the same price as the zpi kit. i should start saving then we can have s/c vs. turbo showdown. hehehehe

Thats not entirely true. A rotrex is a centrifugal supercharger, meaning it is nearly identical in functionality and design to a turbo coldside. It is just mechanically driven as opposed to exhaust driven. Only positive displacement blowers (roots, and twin screw types, Blitz is a roots type) offer instant full boost with no lag. Centrifugals still need to "spool up" a bit before they hit full boost.

As far as maintenence and heat, they are all close to the same. The turbo hotside will add a little extra heat, but it is more efficient than a supercharger.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
Toymaniac
Adm.ClubYarisQuebec.com

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan Aero group
Nice product

wonder how much you can play with the pulley to boost up power...

but still i would rather stick with a sc12 for a small engine like the 1nzfe

2007 Yaris sedan Barcelona Red
TRD Swaybar
TRD Springs
Tanabe Strutbar
Toymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:16 PM   #9
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

looks easier to install, hks made a s/c kit using the rotrex s/c. got over 100hp boost

Old 05-16-2007, 12:36 PM   #10
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I spoke with Brian from Underdog Racing Development...

http://www.urdusa.com/contact_us.php

He was very excited to hear that there is a Rotrex Supercharger Interest in the Yaris Community...

We spoke on the phone for about 15 min...He was asking me about what options we have now, The power band, When the Internals need to be changed out...

And I was asking him about the Rotrex system... He says anything less then 10Lbs of boost we shouldn't need an Intercooler... That should keep price down!

He wants to know just how much Interest there would be in this Unit...

Lets Stir up some noise!

Nutzoids... Where Punk rock is less about Image, and more about the Mind!
Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:35 PM   #11
redglare45

Drives: 07 Sedan - 5 Speed Manual
The Rotrex supercharger has been discussed a bit, a couple of months back.
Jackson Racing uses them and there didn't seem to be much interest then, for them to build one. Atleast that's what it seems like. Please check out this previous thread:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...jackson+racing

You can check out their site, where they talk about Rotrex S/C.

http://www.jacksonracing.com/production.htm

If Underdog Racing will build one, then props to them.
redglare45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:38 PM   #12
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

i wouldnt mind having one

Old 05-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #13
wah

Drives: 2007 liftback
+1
wah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:56 PM   #14
lostmind

Drives: 06 STi, 07 rav4, 07 yaris
If I were to buy a yaris, and I am dangerously close to it... I would definitely want a bit more power out of it.

What I'd want is more low end power, to make lane changes and city driving a bit more easy and fun. I think the problem with a turbo setup is that it doesn't spool until it hits about 3000rpm, which isn't all that fast in a yaris.

However the only supercharged car I ever rode in had power right from the get go. That's what I would want in a yaris. I don't car about top end power or high speeds, I want 0-60km/h times to improve... so if someone could build a supercharger kit that would reliably do the above, I'd be willing to spend about $3500-4000 cad on one. Especially if it was tested on an auto... because then I could buy a yaris, supercharge it for fun and yet still use the car for our daily commuting as the wife doesn't want to drive stick!

I am sure I am not the only guy here with this same desire.... not big HP but just a bit more acceleration without an extreme compromise of the yaris's great gas mileage.

As a matter of fact, if I _knew_ of a kit that did all of this, I'd trade in the TSX for a Yaris yesterday.
lostmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:47 PM   #15
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
I had a Rotrex prototype kit made up late last year. The unit fits & its not a complicated kit. One problem, the Rotrex uses a 6 groove pully & our cars use a 3 groove pulley. The belt would not stay in place with a 3 groove pulley. Pullies could me fabricated for the crank, alternator & idler but the A/C compressor pulley would be a problem.
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:56 PM   #16
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
I had a Rotrex prototype kit made up late last year. The unit fits & its not a complicated kit. One problem, the Rotrex uses a 6 groove pully & our cars use a 3 groove pulley. The belt would not stay in place with a 3 groove pulley. Pullies could me fabricated for the crank, alternator & idler but the A/C compressor pulley would be a problem.
DAMN!

Nutzoids... Where Punk rock is less about Image, and more about the Mind!
Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:27 PM   #17
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
What kinda coin are you talkin?
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:43 AM   #18
Vanderkitten

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Your supercharger will rob more MPG from your motor than a turbo, and there is no way around it. It adds mechanical drag to you motor whether you're on the boost or not. You lose some rev-speed as well (my non-mechanical term for how fast your motor revs).

The Supercharger tends to be easier on the motors since the boost occurs at lower RPMS, and Turbo spools up later meaning you spend more time in high-revs and detonation is more likely.

IMHO, Superchargers are great for low-revving motors where a Turbo would not spool up and provide adequate advantage or heavy vehicles like any Mercedes or a truck.

I am not sure why the mini cooper S has a supercharger... seems like the wrong move to me... sign me up for the turbo!! After having one in my Jetta GLI 1.8T I'd do it again... but I can see the desire for quick lane changes and possilby autoX being smart applications for the SC.

Turbo v. SC... Shoot it out!! I'd pay to see that!
Megan Racing http://www.meganracing.com
Les Schwab Tires http://www.lesschwab.com
317 graphics http://www.317graphics.com
Vanderkitten is offline   Reply With Quote