Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-21-2007, 12:58 AM   #1
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
cold Cathode wiring

I seen different people with the neon kits and cold cathodes in their car and was wodering if Toyota has like a special wire or something already setup if you had the option of getting the blue neons. I was just curious if their would be a factory spot or factory 12v wire and ground to hook cold cathode tubes up to as Toyota hooks up the blue neon option.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:03 AM   #2
slvryaris

Also I was curious if you could put these one a cigarette lighter adapter to just plug in. I know it would look corny, but I never plug anything into it anyway.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
taKuto
rice rocket

Drives: 05 Echo
I've never heard of any car maker have a factory option for neon lights :)

A majority of cold cathodes use 12 volts. You simply figure out which is the positive and negative terminals, and plug those in accordingly to the 12V cig lighter, or wherever other places which provide power. You can wire a switch as well which will allow you to turn on/off the cathodes.
taKuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
duck

Drives: 2007 Silver Sedan
toyota and scion offer factory cold cathodes but can cost $100-$300 for a pair, whereas you can often buy a pair for $10-$20 elsewhere.

They can come with cigarette lighter plugs on the end or bare wires.
if you have bare wires, simply tap into to the cigarette plug's source wires or run a new power wire off the battery into the cabin (no drilling required). you can ground to any ground wire or to the floor (drilling required). I wouldn't run a ground from the battery since ground wires should be short.

please for the love of all that is holy try to hide your lights at least a little bit. don't just glue them under the steering wheel or slightly above your feet.

oh and you'll probably want an on/off switch? just pick up any little switch (2 prong is best) from radioshack and leave it inline with your power wire. then you can mount it in a blank button or side panel. a fuse shouldn't be necessary unless you are paranoid since the worst case (unlikely) you are out $20 for new lights. I used fuses but only because I had the power run off the battery for other purposes (amp, sub, etc)
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:20 PM   #5
CompanyXPaladin

Drives: 08 Yaris 5-speed
Or you can use cold cathodes for computers, which cost about $8.00 a pair, come with a switch, and already have 4-pin molex connectors.
CompanyXPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:41 PM   #6
duck

Drives: 2007 Silver Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompanyXPaladin View Post
Or you can use cold cathodes for computers, which cost about $8.00 a pair, come with a switch, and already have 4-pin molex connectors.
or that.
some online computer store was going out of business a couple of years ago, so i bought some blue cold cathodes and molex-to-cigarette adaptors for next to nothing.
i think i may have to finally give this a shot, except i'd probably just hard wire it.
I'd do under the front seats too... can't ignore any passengers.

i just checked toyota's site. the cold cathode kit is $275. I think that includes installation?
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:34 PM   #7
slvryaris

Ya the blue neon or whatever they are is an option. I was just curious if there was a spot under the dash in all the Yaris's where like they made it to where you could just tap into that source (a wire that has already been ran for neon or cathodes, but did not get the neon option). I was just trying to stay away from hardwiring it and just snake the wires and plug them into a cigarette lighter. As I said arlier I know it will look cheesy, but I can hide the cigarette lighter adapter and plus I never use the cigarette lighter anyway.