Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #235
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
This is my favorite thread of all time!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #236
andru47

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3DR LB
Send a message via AIM to andru47
So I did this, however using the two switch method I got the on button to work but the set button wouldn't. I drove to 25+ mph and it wouldn't work. What could be the issue?

Edit: It's a 5 SPD, used the jumper cable and no cigar. Any ideas?

Last edited by andru47; 08-26-2011 at 08:25 PM.
andru47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #237
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by andru47 View Post
So I did this, however using the two switch method I got the on button to work but the set button wouldn't. I drove to 25+ mph and it wouldn't work. What could be the issue?

You must have wired it up wrong. You must have the up or down wired in there instead.

BTW I thought of the two button but went with the four button and Im glad I did. You can drive the car in heavy traffic by pushing buttons instead of turning it off.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #238
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by andru47 View Post

Check the resistor for set. Someone else recently had an issue where the resistors they purchased were incorrectly labeled. If you have a multimeter, you can check the resistance.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #239
kihan01
I've made a post!

Drives: 2009 Yaris
This was the perfect DIY for me; I recently picked up a Used '09 3-Dr base Yaris.(Auto-transmission; manual windows and door-locks; no power option)
Because of this blog, I come to find that my basic Yaris has Cruise Control all pre-wired for me to tap into.
So, I followed your directions; and now I have a 2-switch setup that is the envy of the family. (yes, we're easily amused.)
Many thanks to everyone who added their comments. I, too, purchased the wrong type of switches at first - (N.C. instead of N.O.) - the On/Off would work, but the SET would not. But, after I got the right switches, both worked like a charm.
Also, another deviation that worked for me is:> Radio Shack didn't have the exact Ohm rated Resisters. So, I went with 2 (330 Ohms) since it still fell into the correct range.
I'm not a mechanic, and i'm the last person to ask about Ohms and Resisters... I learned how to Solder basic connectors through this process; and i didn't even burn myself...
Special Thanks to CTScott for the pictures and quick answers to everyone's questions..!!
Oh, by the way, i placed my 2 switches over to the left of the steering wheel, next to the Dimmer wheel. I found it easier to pop out the empty slot next to the Dimmer wheel.
kihan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #240
bronsin

When I told my boss (we build very sophisticated military and space electronic devices) I added cruise control to my then new 2009 Toyota for $10 from a source on the internet he was agast. "But what if you ruin your new car?"

I told him I was pretty sure they know what they are talking about.

I have the four switch and its handier to use that the factory setup on my wifes Camry.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #241
Kaykogi

Drives: 2009 Barcelona Red Sedan
I added a three button version (no cancel) of this to my 09 sedan. Works great. I was wondering if it would be a similar procedure to add cruise to an 09 camry? My sister recently purchased one and is going to be driving cross country in the next few months in it. I've looked at some other forums and have found a few instances of people adding the stalk type without having to run wires, but if anyone (CTScott) knows offhand if the button method would work, that would be awesome. I think I might just go ahead and attempt it, though.
Kaykogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #242
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaykogi View Post
I added a three button version (no cancel) of this to my 09 sedan. Works great. I was wondering if it would be a similar procedure to add cruise to an 09 camry? My sister recently purchased one and is going to be driving cross country in the next few months in it. I've looked at some other forums and have found a few instances of people adding the stalk type without having to run wires, but if anyone (CTScott) knows offhand if the button method would work, that would be awesome. I think I might just go ahead and attempt it, though.
Sadly, I do know that it is identical for the Camry. It is still pins 1 and 2 of the steering column side of the spiral cable connector. Pin 1 (CCS) is grey instead of blue on the Camry, and pin 2 (ground) is brown like the Yaris.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #243
Kaykogi

Drives: 2009 Barcelona Red Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Sadly, I do know that it is identical for the Camry. It is still pins 1 and 2 of the steering column side of the spiral cable connector. Pin 1 (CCS) is grey instead of blue on the Camry, and pin 2 (ground) is brown like the Yaris.
Good to know. Thanks, Scott. I think I'll give it a go.
Kaykogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #244
MattS.

Drives: 2011 Yaris 5 dr LB
CTScott, you're awesome for posting this! I just did it on my 2011. At first, only the on/off was working, but after reading the entire thread, I found that I was also a victim of resistors that were incorrectly marked. I bought the correct ones, and I am in business. Thanks again!
MattS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #245
ehud42

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan 5spd
Talking Just did my 2009 MT Yaris!

Yay! I've been waiting almost 2 years for this day. Ever since I spotted the thread, I have been itching to put cruise in my Yaris - only waiting for the warranty to run out. My only tweak from the parent post instructions was to use a dual throw momentary toggle switch instead of 2 push button switches.

http://www.flyinglow.ca/flyinglow/20...rol-on-my.html

Thanks a bunch guys!
ehud42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #246
Sar

Drives: 2010 Plain Vanilla
Question Getting Illuminated Switch LEDs to Work with Panel Dimmer

I am using Illuminated Pushbutton Switches E-Switch model LP1OA1AB (Digikey EG4641-ND).
Everything works great (thanks guys), but the blue LEDs are too bright.
Each switch has a blue LED with a forward voltage drop of 3.4 to 4.0 VDC at 20 mA.
I used a 2.2 k resistor to limit the LED current to less than 5 mA.
I stole +12 volts and ground from D29 (Instrument Panel Dimmer Control Connector) thusly:

+12 VDC from D29 Pin 5 - Brown: Power in from PANEL1 fuse
|
2.2 k Resistor (times four – one per LED)
|
LED (four LED's total)
|
Ground from D29 Pin 3 - White/Black: Ground

I would like the brightness of the LEDs to be controlled by the dimmer pot. Instead of connecting the resistors to Pin 5 (+12 VDC) like I have now, it seems to me I can connect the resistors to either,
1. Pin 2 - Light Green: Output to radio, AC lights, etc
2. Pin 8 - Yellow: Output to Cluster
3. Pin 9 - Orange: Output to Hazard warning signal switch and Door lock switch

Which, of any, of these do you think would work best?

BTW if anyone expresses an interest, I will gladly post the exact circuit I used, plus a photo of the LP1 illuminated switches in all their blueness.

Thanks,
Scott
Sar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #247
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Nice switch choice!

On the dimmer rheostat connector, the brown wire is +12 and the light green wire is headlight switched rheostat output (which goes from 0V for full illumination to +12 for completely off). You will probably still need to add a larger resistor value to make the switch LEDs be less annoying. With the blue LEDs you often have to go as high as 10K to keep them from being blinding.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #248
Sar

Drives: 2010 Plain Vanilla
Thank you, Scott, for you quick reply.
I will use the light green wire and put a 10 k trim pot upstream of the 2.2 k resistors.
It occurs to me that it might be a good idea for ANYone using illuminated switches to have a trim pot upstream of the 2.2 k resistors so they can adjust the LED maxumum brightness as seems best to them.
Thanks, again,
Scott
Sar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:32 AM   #249
mbera

Drives: black 2011 Yaris zen3
hi guys i got a t3 zen 2010
plug d3
pins 123 empty
but 4 has light green
5 has brown
and 6 has pink
how do i do it on my car
thanx
mbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #250
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbera View Post
hi guys i got a t3 zen 2010
plug d3
pins 123 empty
but 4 has light green
5 has brown
and 6 has pink
how do i do it on my car
thanx
Unfortunately, the ECM on your car does not have the cruise control function built in. Prior to 2012, only US and Canada Yaris had it.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #251
09sedan

Drives: 2009 yaris sedan
have 2 questions for CtScott the almighty yaris guru:

i have a november 2008 built 2009 yaris sedan (Canadian market)

1. if i use the 2 switch setup, and i turn it on and have to brake will the CC automatically deactivate?

2. how do you tap into the cables on the connector from the on/off switch?

3. is the D3 connector the white connector on the LEFT side of the yellow connector?

Last edited by 09sedan; 02-19-2012 at 06:18 PM.
09sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #252
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09sedan View Post
have 2 questions for CtScott the almighty yaris guru:

i have a november 2008 built 2009 yaris sedan (Canadian market)

1. if i use the 2 switch setup, and i turn it on and have to brake will the CC automatically deactivate?

2. how do you tap into the cables on the connector from the on/off switch?

Yes the brake overrides CC.

If yours has the wiring from the ECM to the steering column, then you can use splice tap connectors (available from most auto parts stores) to connect to the existing wires. Your Canadian sedan may not have the wiring from the ECM to the steering column, and if that is the case you would need to add the ECM pin.

This thread has a DIY with more details:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33750