Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 03:42 AM   #55
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
first off you relied on VSC and TC to avoid a turkey? (hit it and eat it, less chances of ending up in a ditch), must have been a huge one hope it tasted good.

second I think i've driven some of the most sophisticated cars with the most sophisticated VSC and TC out there, notably the Mercedes S550 , which boast one of the most advanced safety features.

And guess what it sucked , i felt as if i wasn't even driving the car, tried taking corners and the VSC would kick in way before the threshold , and then it would apply ABS when it sensed that there was too much lateral speed/gs, and that's without me even touching the brake pedal (trust me its messed up when you're not expecting it to do so). The only practical use for TC is either when you want to have a perfect start of the line (no wheel spin) and if you're stuck in snow (the car will actually get itself out). That said I'm a driver and I like to DRIVE my car not be DRIVEN. The way all governments and not just US are trying to control people we are heading into Minority Report/I Robot type society. And lastly since you brought up RoboYarii , it better follow Asimov's 3 Robot Laws. As it stands right now none of these system follow these laws. peace out brother

a little vid for VSC/self driving car lovers, now yes it is impressive and yes its efficient but where is the driving experience and fun in that:
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=AO5zsE0jLU0
Traction control isn't really there to make driving fun. Its there to prevent you from crashing. I don't think that its fair to say SC is boring.

BTW, the s550 is a HUGEBITCH. You don't want that thing to lose traction, unless you're absofkinglutely extravagantishly know what you're doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48jqnXRozeg that one is funnier. TG is better imo.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:45 AM   #56
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
i forgot about TG having a similar piece ,nicely done. although the VW is more impressive IMO.

Now i didn't really say SC is boring but i'm sorry to disagree with you it isn't there to prevent you from crashing,take the example i wrote for bobby a couple of posts back. most of cars that end up in ditches are newer cars with all the bells and whistles. the problem is not that these systems will try and prevent you from reaching the point of FUBAR but that once you are in the FUBAR situation they will prevent you from saving yourself (ie. you're already in a skid , the VSC will go crazy trying to figure out whats going on and how to get out of it , a properly trained and schooled human won't since you will try to adapt to the situation). What VSC needs to be is more of an AI than a simple IF THEN machine (State machine), it needs to think.

i hope im not too confusing , its a bit harder to properly explain in a post.
Going beyond physics is still going beyond physics. No amount of human skill, or any super robot can fix that.

And ditches don't account for people who simply drive into that ditch in a straight line.

I think people are thinking of SC in the wrong way. If you take a corner too hard, it'll stop the rear end from coming out, or something like that. Its like what I tell my friends. If I want to crash a car, no amount of stability control can stop me from doing it.

But you're right. the VW was more impressive.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:20 AM   #57
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
Not really a domestic if its in Europe right? Ford in Europe is whole different ball game.

BTW, besides options, how can you REALLY mess up a solid rear, and long travel MacPhersons?

In the end, its nearly the same setup.

I was comparing the Yaris to the Fit.
I guess your right on the title portion of it. I really didn't have enough time to go into details at the time, but my comparison was to relate American companies to foriegn markets based on his assumption that all domestic cars fall apart. It all depends on the side of the world you grew up on. I'm sure they feel the same way about cars there as we do here on reliability. Parts from Ford are made anywhere from Mexico to China but the standard of quality should be the same for any make. But we all know there are a few bad apples in every bushel. Yeah you really can't mess up the solid rear, hell I'd have a Dana 44 solid on every car if it were up to me
Old 01-31-2009, 11:17 AM   #58
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
all right guys this discussion's over (again)

yaris > * that's all we need to know

Bye bye 1NZ...
Closed Thread