Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-04-2006, 10:43 AM   #1
wushumasterku

Drives: 06 White LE HB 5spd
first oil change?

the sticker on the windshield says 8000 km. isn't that a bit too long? usually i do it every 5000km or so. any comments on the first oil change?
Old 04-04-2006, 10:44 AM   #2
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
toyotas have a much better oil filter than most cars and don't need the oil changed as often
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:22 PM   #3
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Drives: Uber-Evolved Pokemon
I still do mine at either 6 months, or 5000 km, whichever comes first...

My first oil change was just done, 6 months with only 900 km on it...
echo_hrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:22 PM   #4
jcove

Drives: 2011 Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushumasterku
the sticker on the windshield says 8000 km. isn't that a bit too long? usually i do it every 5000km or so. any comments on the first oil change?
I went in at a little over 5000. I just couldn't wait, but I also have 4 free oil changes, so I also didn't have to worry about the cost. This was on another thread. It's good insurance to change it sooner rather than later, in my opinion. There are sever duty maintenance schedules that cover what we drive in here in Canada, so I think it's a good idea. Just my two cents.
jcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:17 PM   #5
Mad Munchkin
makeminesilver...I think

Drives: 07 Yaris 5dr-B RS man/silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushumasterku
I just picked up my car this Monday and the sales guy pointed out that even though the manual says 8000K for the first change, he already booked my in for a Sept. service. He also suggested that by that time if I'm not at 8000K yet, I should still come in. I will because a wise man once told me that the best mechanic for any car is really regular oil changes (dad) and so far so good. I changed the oil on my tercel every 3 months. Besides, I found out at my dealership I'll never have to pay for any of my oil/filter changes as long as I own the car! So no skin off my (|).
Mad Munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:24 PM   #6
jcove

Drives: 2011 Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Munchkin
I just picked up my car this Monday and the sales guy pointed out that even though the manual says 8000K for the first change, he already booked my in for a Sept. service. He also suggested that by that time if I'm not at 8000K yet, I should still come in. I will because a wise man once told me that the best mechanic for any car is really regular oil changes (dad) and so far so good. I changed the oil on my tercel every 3 months. Besides, I found out at my dealership I'll never have to pay for any of my oil/filter changes as long as I own the car! So no skin off my (|).
Sweet deal!!! How'd you manage that?
jcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:35 PM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Odds are no matter how long you wait it will not be long enough. I knew a dude that worked for a really expensive car place and he did oil changes for BMW's, benzes, etc. He said he was able to take the oil from the cars and use it in his for 3000 or so miles. Even the BMW's that had oil change testers always had the cars coming in with 80% clean oil or so.

However, you can't do the first oil change too early.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:16 AM   #8
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
MY dad said that during the depression that people only replaced the oil filter.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:47 AM   #9
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
Odds are no matter how long you wait it will not be long enough. I knew a dude that worked for a really expensive car place and he did oil changes for BMW's, benzes, etc. He said he was able to take the oil from the cars and use it in his for 3000 or so miles. Even the BMW's that had oil change testers always had the cars coming in with 80% clean oil or so.

However, you can't do the first oil change too early.
That is very interesting. Sounds unbelievable but as a matter of fact, Mercedes Benz nowadays requires oil to be changed on their newer models every 20,000 km, that is about 12,000+ miles.
So nice to be able to read vastly different views.

Last edited by swng; 04-05-2006 at 04:51 AM.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:54 AM   #10
swng

Quote:
Originally Posted by foober
MY dad said that during the depression that people only replaced the oil filter.
Also, in some places, people still recycle used oil. In other words, they make used oil reusable. Some places even have such oil on sale. I have forgotten where this happens but I firmly believe that this is true. In fact in Canada, used oil cannot be discarded casually. There are locations that one must take their oil to. I suspect(note: suspect)that apart from for environmentally safe disposal, some if not all used oil may just be collected for recycling.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:24 AM   #11
harves
Ozecho.com Owner

Drives: Toyota Echo 2003
Send a message via AIM to harves Send a message via MSN to harves Send a message via Yahoo to harves
On the echo it was 5k for me or 6 months what every come first
Old 04-05-2006, 07:11 PM   #12
Mad Munchkin
makeminesilver...I think

Drives: 07 Yaris 5dr-B RS man/silver
jcove:
Honestly, I didn't manage it at all; it's their dealership policy (Country Hills Toyota, Calgary). Trust me, I was shocked when I heard because it was the first time I'd been told that in the whole two months I've been talking to them. So only on the day I picked up my car, did they tell me as we went over the service schedule. Obviously, it's an awesome policy and it ensures that you keep coming back to their dealership.

swng:
interesting factoids and opinions about recycled oil...you could have something there with the recycling of used oil from the used oil depots; and lucky us, we get to pay the environmental taxes up front so they can then recycle our used oil and sell it back to us in a different form? I would'nt be surprised.
Mad Munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:32 PM   #13
swng

Quote:
jcove:
Honestly, I didn't manage it at all; it's their dealership policy (Country Hills Toyota, Calgary). Trust me, I was shocked when I heard because it was the first time I'd been told that in the whole two months I've been talking to them. So only on the day I picked up my car, did they tell me as we went over the service schedule. Obviously, it's an awesome policy and it ensures that you keep coming back to their dealership.

swng:
interesting factoids and opinions about recycled oil...you could have something there with the recycling of used oil from the used oil depots; and lucky us, we get to pay the environmental taxes up front so they can then recycle our used oil and sell it back to us in a different form? I would'nt be surprised.
Free oil changes for life!? Lucky you friend!
As for recycled oil, I tend to think that it is done, apart from for environmental reasons, also for political correctness. And taxes we pay..............
Old 04-06-2006, 12:37 AM   #14
hoahmaru

Drives: 2007 White Yaris RS B Pac.
Quote:
jcove:

swng:
I also got free life time oil change at Country Hills Toyota as well. I think celica girl got it as well.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:21 PM   #15
Island Boy

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
I feel that if it's Toyota who is saying every 6 months or 8000km, then why waste money getting it done any sooner(unless of course you have free oil changes). Unless you plan on putting 400,000 km on it before selling it, why bother changing oil before it needs to be done. because changing at 5000km instead of 8000 isn't going to make a difference if you only plan on keeping the car for under 5 years. I had a 1990 Civic with over 300,000km on it when I sold it and I did oil/filter every 6 months 8-9000km and it ran perfect, no blue smoke, nothing. But thats just me, if someone has money to spare, go for it. but if you bought a Yaris to save money on gas, why spend money saved on un-needed oil changes.
Island Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:26 PM   #16
wushumasterku

Drives: 06 White LE HB 5spd
i'm leasing.. what should i do...??
Old 04-06-2006, 01:51 PM   #17
swng

If I were in your same position, I will just follow the owner's manual and let Toyota deal with any problems that may arise. It should be their problem.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:42 PM   #18
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
It really depends on whether or not you are going to keep the car at the end of the lease.

If you are, take care of it. If not, then don't worry too much and do only what is prescribed.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote