Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-22-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Power window motor

Hey guys, I do have a Yaris, but thats not what my actual question is about.

I also have just picked up a 2004 Kia Sedona-used from a dealership. After rolling the window down three times, it is not working. I am trying to diagnose the problem and thought you guys would be very informative, though I will call the dealership later and see if I can cut a deal with them.

The first time I rolled it down, and it wouldn't roll up. I restarted the car and it rolled up.

The second time it rolled down halfway, the window jumped and bumped a couple of times, then stopped about halfway down. It wouldnt roll back up. I restarted, still wouldnt. Restarted again, still wouldnt. After leaving it parked and off about 5 minutes, then trying again, it worked.

I am just wondering about it because of the sporadic functioning ability, it almost sounds like overheating. The car battery is fine, and the other windows would all operate normally. Any suggestions on what to look at so I wont have to fork out the money for a whole new window operating unit?
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
POORSHA

Drives: 2008 LB
It could be a thermal fuse ( circut breaker) on the motor that is being triggered. This could be from binding in the mechanism or a short.
POORSHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
BMGYaris

i will look into those after work, but that would mean getting a whole new motor wouldnt it?
Old 01-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
POORSHA

Drives: 2008 LB
not if you can find the short or get rid if the obstruction
POORSHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
sounds like the motor is on it's last leg. I had a Grand Am once and the driver side window started doing the same thing as yours. A new motor souldn't cost you too much.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
you have to open up the door and observe the mechanism first hand to figure it out
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
faulty window regulator. See if your local parts house sells it individually of the motor otherwise you got to get the whole assembly. Should cost you between 50-120 for the part and maybe 80-150 labor. Common problem with all cars with power windows. Usually the drivers side fails first since it is used the most frequently and then the passenger side follows.

Slim chance it could be the switch but see if you push down on switch really hard when it does get stuck and see if it makes it move a bit more. or listen for a click sound from the switch when you press it. Otherwise when the door is off run a jumper wire from the battery to the harness and see if the window rolls up and flip positive and negative and see if it rolls down. If it does its the switch thats bad if not then its the regulator.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #8
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
faulty window regulator. See if your local parts house sells it individually of the motor otherwise you got to get the whole assembly. Should cost you between 50-120 for the part and maybe 80-150 labor. Common problem with all cars with power windows. Usually the drivers side fails first since it is used the most frequently and then the passenger side follows.

Slim chance it could be the switch but see if you push down on switch really hard when it does get stuck and see if it makes it move a bit more. or listen for a click sound from the switch when you press it. Otherwise when the door is off run a jumper wire from the battery to the harness and see if the window rolls up and flip positive and negative and see if it rolls down. If it does its the switch thats bad if not then its the regulator.
You could install a new one by yourself in probably less than an hour and save the labor $.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
You could install a new one by yourself in probably less than an hour and save the labor $.
Yeah but I am assuming he may not have any mechanical experience and just giving him a ballpark of what he would expect to pay if he takes it to a shop. Its not that difficult just takes a bit of finesse to work it out and some basic hand tools. Most likely a 10mm socket and ratchet with extension is all you need.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
BMGYaris

You guys are awesome.

An update, I spoke with the dealer and he has got an exta OEM regulator that he said he will give me. He has a guy that can do the labor or I can pick it up and try my hand at it. He hasn't given me a price quote yet, but I think it wont be too stiff. (hopefully the reg is the problem though...im not really even sure what a regulator is myself...does that include the motor?)

My coworker knows a good deal about cars (obviously I am not so inclined) and is willing to help. Somewhat of a fairly experienced hand at his own personal car work, I imagine he would be able to handle it? He doesnt do major stuff, but he does his own PS pumps and stuff, which sounds impressive to me.

Thanks for your advice guys, I wish the kia people were as friendly as us Yarii
Old 01-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #11
BMGYaris

Its just too bad the the sedona DIY group isnt as extensive...