Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Killchain

Drives: '10 Yaris LB Polar White
Same 'ol media bias,,,,,,,,

http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/com...mpact_shootout
Killchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
God, the auto review community's continuous raging boner for the looks-like-a-mini-minivan Honda Fit is so lame. Each and every year since it's been introduced it's always the best sub-compact car on the planet...

Hence I'm glad that there are nice forums like YW where you can get reviews from owners, versus the automotive press that is infatuated with just one car.

And I thought this was interesting... from Wikipedia:
Quote:
The third generation Kia Rio debuted on March 1, 2011, at the Geneva Motor Show, again based on the Hyundai Accent...
So, 2nd and 3rd place for their shootout is basically the same car...

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Motorweek has always been a bias piece of wood pulp filth and continues in its strong tradition.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
Deathegg

Drives: 2010 Yaris hatch
Not sure what "media bias" you're talking about; even the non-automotive people there thought the Fit was better. The Fit was simply more fun and had better versatility. Most car tests of the Yaris feel it's not the most fun car at all, and, like the old car, has a really strange driving position.

Also, MotorWeek, if anything, tries to shine a good light on even bad cars.

So, we should all be upset because the Yaris didn't win?
Old 05-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathegg View Post
Not sure what "media bias" you're talking about; even the non-automotive people there thought the Fit was better. The Fit was simply more fun and had better versatility. Most car tests of the Yaris feel it's not the most fun car at all, and, like the old car, has a really strange driving position.

Also, MotorWeek, if anything, tries to shine a good light on even bad cars.

So, we should all be upset because the Yaris didn't win?
sorry but that is just bullshit. Not sure how long you've been reading car magazines, but in the 20+ years I have motor journalists will do anything to praise both honda's and bmw's, and unceasingly bash their rivals.

When honda moved away from the suspensions that made the civic the car for the modding community to have, these knuckleheads praised honda, instead of railing against the dumbest move in automotive history.

When honda's crash ratings were the worst in the country, the auto journalists totally ignored it, instead praising honda for how light there cars were and how well they handled, never mind an accident would be almost a death sentence.

And today, when honda's lineup is even more boring than toyota's, and honda's cars are flat out terrible, they still praise honda for absolutely no reason.

Okay, and now after reading the article, it is totally a joke. No one who was even trying to pretend to have any modicum of anything even remotely near an unbiased opinion would rank a fit at the top of a subcompact comparo. That is just dumb. I am sure Honda payed well to win the comparo.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
Deathegg

Drives: 2010 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
sorry but that is just bullshit. Not sure how long you've been reading car magazines, but in the 20+ years I have motor journalists will do anything to praise both honda's and bmw's, and unceasingly bash their rivals.

When honda moved away from the suspensions that made the civic the car for the modding community to have, these knuckleheads praised honda, instead of railing against the dumbest move in automotive history.

When honda's crash ratings were the worst in the country, the auto journalists totally ignored it, instead praising honda for how light there cars were and how well they handled, never mind an accident would be almost a death sentence.

And today, when honda's lineup is even more boring than toyota's, and honda's cars are flat out terrible, they still praise honda for absolutely no reason.
I've been reading about cars for much longer than you. Yes, most car magazines do love Hondas, however have you not seen the recent reviews for the new Civic? They bashed it a LOT. Maybe you missed that eh? The freakin' president of Honda apologized for it!

Your statement about Honda moving away from the suspension that 'modders' want....what does that have to do with the testing of a new car? Honda does not build cars for 'modders', they build them for people, many of them families, who want or need a new car. Do you think the engineers at Honda, while designing a new car are thinking "what do the modders want?"

Honda's cars are "flat out terrible"?? Really?? I have to ask- what methodology did you use to come up with that conclusion? I don't put much credence in a persons' opinion when they use such a blanket statement with absolutely no facts to back it up. It's your OPINION. Your opinion does not make it fact.

At least in your last paragraph you admit in so many words that Toyota makes boring cars. I really, really like my '10 Yaris hatch. But frankly it's not much fun at all to drive. The steering and accelerator are numb, the driving position is all wrong (why no telescopic steering wheel? or at least reposition the damn pedals!!), and the front and rear suspensions feel like they were calibrated by separate engineering teams.

Let's face it: Toyota makes toasters. Machines that totally exclude the user from any sense of emotion when using it. When did you last enjoy making a piece of toast? Honda also makes toasters. But isn't it just possible that Honda makes really good toasters too? Of course it is.

I sound like a Honda guy I'm sure, but I'm not; I've never owned one, nor have the desire to. However, I've driven my brothers' '09 Fit. It feels superior in most ways to my Yaris.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:56 PM   #7
2o6

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Never understood why they keep saying the Fit is the benchmark for the class. It's not super fun to drive; the steering doesn't have that much feel, and the suspension tuning is ruined by the height. The Fiesta, Mazda 2, and Sonic school the Fit in this regard. It also has very cheap interior finishes, and mediocre fuel economy. The Fit is very roomy, I will admit, but it's also a bigger taller car than most other cars. In Europe, it's more of a B-segment MPV rather than a traditional hatchback. In Europe, and Japan the Fit is regarded as flat-out boring to drive.

I honestly wonder if they've actually driven the cars, or just put on things based upon statistcs. I've driven all the cars in the segment (save for the 3rd gen Yaris) and the Sonic is quite slow with the 1.8L (they say it's "peppy"), and it honestly drives best in class. They say the Rio is "fun" but after driving one, nothing about that car is particularly engaging to drive. They say the Accent is hard to see out of in the back because it's a "hatchback", but they ignore the Rio's far worse visibility, especially sedan models with the very high trunk. The Fit's rearward visibility also is compromised because it's a "hatchback". They say the Fit is very roomy, however, the Versa is the roomiest car by far.

They say the Sonic's interior is "over the top" but they ignore the Fit's just as bad interior design?
2o6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I've driven all of these subcompacts (sans the Accent). I don't believe the Yaris is the best in its class. Although I enjoyed the Yaris SE that I reviewed (and I'd buy one based on my previous experience with my Yaris), for the average car buyer (keep in mind, that is the person that doesn't care about modifying the vehicle), the Yaris isn't as appealing, and frankly, I can see that. It's not as fresh, the specs aren't as impressive, etc. Is the Yaris a good car? I absolutely thinks so. However, compared to the competition it looks dated. Four-speed auto. Under 110 hp. More basic-looking interior.

If it's media bias with regard to the Yaris, it's the entire media that is biased, and frankly I don't buy that.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I wouldn't consider the Yaris on the top of the heap either however the fit hasn't changed in how many years and yet it gets accolades for it? The Yaris has the same powerplant, sure, but it is capable as it is and for what it is. I test drove the Sonic (base), Elantra, Fit, Fiesta, and 12 Yaris when we went out looking for my daughter. Honestly out of all of them I preferred the Sonic and the Fiesta over the Fit by a long shot. There is a reason why people tag it as the mini-minivan. I just don't see where people come up with their rationale with that car. We are seriously considering the Fiesta or Sonic for our daughter quick honestly. The main reason for not choosing the Yaris LB is the lack of space in the rear with the rear seat up as well as we don't want her trying to mod the thing. There are much more important things to worry about for a college bound youth. She as well felt that the Fit was blah and unimpressive whereas the Yaris at least from her got an approving nod for the simplicity, capability for spectacular mileage if driven with a modicum of intelligence, and looks. I guess one of the most entertaining things about the reviews of the 2012 Yaris don't really say much about the things that Toyota changed/improved, but I could be missing something. The bottom line is that there are a lot of things that each manufacturer did right so why the hell would they even mention the formula for example of the Fit not changing because it doesn't need to yet bash Toyota for keeping the same powerplant?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
Thirty-Nine

I agree that the Fit is getting long in the tooth, and frankly, it surprised me to see it still winning comparos.

Personally, I still think the Yaris is a very underrated vehicle. But then again, I prefer a car that isn't laden with tech gadget, electronic this and that, and something that is simple to work on. With that being said, if I had to replace my 2007 Yaris liftback with a new subcompact, it'd be a tough choice between a 2012 Yaris SE (which I can't technically buy in the Northwest with a manual transmission), and a 2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT1 with the 1.4 turbo.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #11
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I'd have to see which of these cars designed to screw the test gets the best gas mileage. Heck, I might even look at a Prius C, depending on how much the local dealers are overcharging.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #12
2o6

Drives: 2007 Liftback
The Mazda 2 is my favorite, but the powertrain sucks. Gearing is wayyy too short, and the engine falls short of competitors.

Yaris needed to be all new for this year; at least update the powertrain.

Fit has always been overrated, and the fuel economy is terrible

Sonic is good, but it's expensive, and the 1.8L sucks. (It's slow)

Kia Rio has best in class styling, but it's fairly dull to drive and it's impossible to get any sort of options on one with a manual transmission. (The second you add power windows, you have to get an automatic)

Accent is ugly (but you can get an MT in every trim)

Versa is cheap and hideous, but it does have very good interior space

Fiesta drives excellently, but the interior is fairly tight. Also, basic models are very spartan, and the whole package is fairly expensive. The sedan model is very ugly.

We need some refinement, here.
2o6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:21 AM   #13
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
Personally, I still think the Yaris is a very underrated vehicle. But then again, I prefer a car that isn't laden with tech gadget, electronic this and that, and something that is simple to work on.
The reasons I bought the Yaris are that it's the last 2 door hatchback manual transmission model with roll up windows and key locks.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #14
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
The reasons I bought the Yaris are that it's the last 2 door hatchback manual transmission model with roll up windows and key locks.
Yep. The only other two-door subcompact hatchbacks left in existence on the U.S. market are Fiat 500 and MINI Cooper.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
The Mini coopers are nice, and the Fiat is over priced and not all the good looking.
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #16
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
One thing to concider guys, is who signs the reviewers checks, usually the company having the most trouble selling their cars!! It has been my experience over the years to go with your gut and buy what you like, case in point my '94 T-100 pickup. The reviewers cut this truck to shreads, calling it a lame attempt at a full size truck. Well I bought one, put 240,000 miles on it and loved every minute of. In all those miles replaced a power steering pump and a right rear axel seal, thats it! Toyota gets negative press because their on top, if they were mid-pack or lower, you'd never hear anything negative!!

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote