Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-12-2007, 06:17 PM   #1
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
Stupid Scamming jobs that pose as real jobs

As if finding the right job isn't hard enough already, there are a lot of these "marketing" companies out here in IL. What do I mean by that? I'm talking about people who basically go from business to business selling crap. And it's a whole pyramid scheme.. and let's see.. you get paid by commission only. I once actually tried out a job like this when I was in school. But I only did it for a little bit of time. It was clear to me that this was no real way to make money and it was decitful to even call it a "marketing" job. It's a sales job... and not a good one at that. They were selling Smart Circle products and I didn't even realize that it was a product of some other scamming company before.

Anyway, the reason I write this is because I got a call for an interview with some company called GQ Imports. Thanks to the magic of internet, I find out it's another one of those jobs where you go door to door selling crap. In fact, there are so many companies like this out there. I think I should stop using careerbuilder.com since these companies are ALL OVER it. *sigh* what is a good way to find an actual job that pays you and provides benefits? I do not want to work for commission only and I hate those jobs that goes around selling crap. Wish there was a way to shut them down.

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:19 PM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I learned all about that when I was job hunting myself. If they tell you to wear a shirt, tie, and running shoes your first day... run away!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:26 PM   #3
sherryberry

Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
what gets me is that there are actually people out there who actually think that it's a good way to make money and actually supports these kind of false motives..

Old 09-12-2007, 06:28 PM   #4
ChinoCharles
Banned

That is because they're a step higher on that ever-important pyramid.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:32 PM   #5
sherryberry

lol the guy i had to shadow was maybe one step above entry level. He didn't even make any money that day that he was taking me around. I decided to try it out anyway and the 2nd time we were out there.. he maybe made 50 bucks?? Or less.. and this is doing this for maybe 12 hours.. Then the guy decided to try and feel me up.. even though he had a fiancee. yea.. i was done.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:36 PM   #6
ChinoCharles
Banned

Nice! What a gentleman.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:46 PM   #7
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Sherry, I just do it the old fashon way... walk my happy lil ass in to a place when it is a slow time as for the manager, introduce yourself and ask for an app..... that will make an impression on the manager when he or she looks at your app, instead of just reading a piece of paper
Old 09-13-2007, 10:31 AM   #8
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
Sherry, you should go sell Toyotas like Chino! Dealerships need more female salespeople (IMO), and you've got an advantage: you're already Queen of YarisWorld! What Toyota dealership would turn that down?!

~YR
Old 09-13-2007, 10:35 AM   #9
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
These scamming assholes. I have a new name for them. HUMAN SPAM!
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:18 PM   #10
sherryberry

i wish the government would take them down heh.

anyway, i've thought about workin' at a dealership but i might be too tempted to get another car then hahaha

Old 09-13-2007, 12:38 PM   #11
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
I know exactly what you guys are talking about. I get e-mails from who knows where but they claim they seen my app on line and I "qualify" for the job and manager wants to see me. So they want my resume or something like that. So when you inquire about the job and what its about they have the nerve to ask for address, account number and routing number, bank...RED FLAG!!!

Nope! I'm certainly not giving out information like that especially over e-mail!!

Also I learned the hard way with Primerica. Its a legit company with legit products but they scam you into thinking its a real job. In reality its a pyramid scheme. You find as many people you know personally to have them go to your place and sell the stuff. They say its training when really they are using you to make money while you're not. But at the same time you are suppose to recruit people so you can take advantage of them! Its great, you ruin your relationships with your family and friends and don't make a dime! What a deal! Oh and they keep preaching about how other jobs are evil and how they have the "freedom" to do what you want? Bullshit! Also only 1% of them actually make 100k a year while the rest of us slave to make 4K a year, okay it varies. Also you supposidly get your own office eventually...no. Go to google and you'll see what I mean. Type in Primerica Scam. Its a financial institution. Also they claim there way is the only way and no other company offers it. Its an MLM but I was too blind until I not only got uncomfertable trying to sell stuff to people I care about but its just not me. Also I wasn't making a dime the whole time I was with them. When your sources dry up then they really don't care about you.

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box. I have to vent!
Old 09-13-2007, 01:46 PM   #12
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
I've used Monster.com before, it's not too bad...well, it didn't used to be
Old 09-13-2007, 01:50 PM   #13
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
A few years ago I used Monster too, and they just sent me an email saying that their database security had been compromised and a lot of "private" info may have been stolen. YAY, more calls/emails for jobs I don't want!
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:55 PM   #14
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurokoma-kun View Post
A few years ago I used Monster too, and they just sent me an email saying that their database security had been compromised and a lot of "private" info may have been stolen. YAY, more calls/emails for jobs I don't want!
Holy Crap, that's scary. We have to supply all this info these people, then it gets hacked?! Perhaps we should be providing less personal info (I don't think the comanbies hiring need to know hardly anything personal except experience and criminal background, really).
Old 09-13-2007, 02:55 PM   #15
sherryberry

i got the same e-mail from monster.. maybe we should all sue!

and oh, primerica.. i had an interview w/ them.. which turned out to be a big group presentation and you had to pay for your own course/training or whatever. Anyway, I said nope, not going to happen. I always get very wary when the interview is actually a big group of people. Honestly, if you want to interview me.. then you should only be interviewing me and not having some presentation to a big group of people.. trying to sell your company.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:06 PM   #16
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Sherryberry, I thought you had a job in computers?
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:40 PM   #17
sherryberry

yes but i'm trying to get out of this company.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:39 PM   #18
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryberry View Post
yes but i'm trying to get out of this company.
I think you posted before that you have a BA in psychology... is that right?

I have an idea for you if you want to go back to school for a short time.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote