Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-27-2018, 02:03 PM   #19
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkratt View Post
and the rear beam axle wont bolt up to an older Yaris say MK2 mount points are different if you can get your hands on a set of caliper carriers you are set with the 2012 SE parts

edit: the e-brake lines are different length as well
I hate to pull a thread necro and be a jerk, but what evidence do you have to support this? There's a growing number of axles available on the parts interchange system and I've always been curious if this would work. There's a pretty limited number of search results for the topic both here and on the web, none of which confirmed or denied the fitment.

Yariseggvvti started a thread that got derailed into peoples' personal mileage with rear brake shoes, no results.

Brushforhire started a thread that included lots of good technical details and pictures of donor candidates but he crashed his car and the thread kind of died.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:53 PM   #20
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
Cause I have a JDM rear beam axle. And a 08 yaris.. 😂 But you can piece together a setup with usdm toyota parts from other cars.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:49 PM   #21
Fluxtasy
feed my pet

Drives: Yaris Sedan '10
I did enquire with a mechanic regarding rear disc conversion and he briefed me with 2 options.

First option was to swap the entire rear axle complete with disc. Costs with labor would set me back $425.

Second option requires minor modification to my rear axle. He mentioned that there was no mounting holes for the rear calipers. This is where drum/disc axle differs. He needs to mount a fabricated metal plate/bracket for the calipers. He also needs to cut off the back part in order to install this plate/bracket.

Photo 28-07-2018, 03 14 15.jpg
the metal plates/brackets beside calipers

Also he mentioned that the hand brake cable for disc/drum are different so you need to swap that too.
Fluxtasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:36 PM   #22
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxtasy View Post
Second option requires minor modification to my rear axle. He mentioned that there was no mounting holes for the rear calipers. This is where drum/disc axle differs. He needs to mount a fabricated metal plate/bracket for the calipers. He also needs to cut off the back part in order to install this plate/bracket.

Also he mentioned that the hand brake cable for disc/drum are different so you need to swap that too.

this. thank you. i've been saying that for years. btw can i get that bracket? lol.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:12 PM   #23
Fluxtasy
feed my pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
this. thank you. i've been saying that for years. btw can i get that bracket? lol.
I did give it some thought, as safety is a concern so wouldn't it be better to swap the entire axle?
Old 07-27-2018, 07:37 PM   #24
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Quote:
I did give it some thought, as safety is a concern so wouldn't it be better to swap the entire axle?
2200lb car with some dinky rear disc brakes. Id trust any competent welder for that.. hell we got guys with full custom set ups doing the king of the hammers challenges

XD
Old 07-28-2018, 07:41 AM   #25
Fluxtasy
feed my pet

Quote:
Enviri, I believe the above photo is the JDM conversion kit bracket so the fabricated metal bracket might look a little different. That place is out of the way from any place I would visit but I'll try to go by and take a photo of the bracket and ask the price. You gotta be patient thou.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:50 AM   #26
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
I have the Runstop rear disc conversion. As SOON as I have a chance I will have the brackets sent out. Just don't have cash and the conversion is still on the car.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:07 AM   #27
enviri

Quote:
oh i already did swap the entire axle lol. im all set
Old 07-29-2018, 08:10 AM   #28
enviri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runethecursed View Post
2200lb car with some dinky rear disc brakes. Id trust any competent welder for that.. hell we got guys with full custom set ups doing the king of the hammers challenges

XD
dinky huh. you do know that the rears are larger in diameter than non rs brakes, with no ventilation lol.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:15 AM   #29
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Quote:
dinky huh. you do know that the rears are larger in diameter than non rs brakes, with no ventilation lol.
Dink in comparison to a normal sized cars rotors, and yes the disc rears would be bigger than a non rs brake rotor.... if I were running that. I'm running Matrix front brakes right now per the swap guide. the rears are still dinky
Old 07-29-2018, 11:21 AM   #30
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runethecursed View Post
Dink in comparison to a normal sized cars rotors, and yes the disc rears would be bigger than a non rs brake rotor.... if I were running that. I'm running Matrix front brakes right now per the swap guide. the rears are still dinky
rears are dinky even on the GRMN, its a FWD car most of your stopping power is upfront. its why the front caliper is like 10.5 and the rear is 9. something. its not like your running 600 HP and need 320 MM BREMBO 6 PISTON breaks, so the rears on a stock tuned car are fine.

suggestion because people have told me in the past, better pads. when those shit the bin, better calipers and brakes.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #31
Fluxtasy
feed my pet

I did swap my front discs & calipers to the JDM G grade/package. They are slightly bigger and the swap was quite straight forward.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:18 AM   #32
ElMagnifico

Drives: 2012 Sedan
I'm considering getting a used SE hatchback axle for my sedan. where can i check the specs to verify fitment? they should be the same right?
ElMagnifico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:52 AM   #33
G6-R

Drives: CHR 1.8 Hybrid + Yaris gen3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edxgGu8YZZs
G6-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:21 PM   #34
Stevengr921
The BodyArchitect

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2015 Turbo AT
Could you please tell me the measurements of the disc.
Stevengr921 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disc, disc conversion, drum