Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-26-2020, 10:05 AM   #1
JD990

Drives: XP 90
Question 2ZR Compatible Transmission Help

Good day all,

I am writing to seek advice from this forum. I am looking to 2ZR Swap my Gen 2 Yaris which is a 1.0l 1SZ-FE with a C551 Transsmision

I have secured most of the parts I think I need but I cannot seem to find a transmission that is compatible and the wrecker's yard engine I purchased did not have a gearbox with it.

I believe this engine shipped with a C59 transmission but I'm not sure? If I cannot source this transmission is there another compatible transmission from a commonly available model?

I feel it is important to point out that I am living in Ireland and as such models such as the newer Corolla is not sold here (It is sold as the Auris but has different powertrains, I believe I have one of only a handful of 2ZR-FE engines in the country) and Scions are non existent. 7th Gen Celicas however are very common and it would be easy enough to obtain a C60 series transmission if anyone has any thoughts on this? Can anyone foresee any pitfalls in changing out the entire drivetrain (transmission, driveshafts and hubs)?

I would be very very grateful for any help anyone could provide,

Many thanks

JD
JD990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:28 AM   #2
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD990 View Post
Good day all,

I am writing to seek advice from this forum. I am looking to 2ZR Swap my Gen 2 Yaris which is a 1.0l 1SZ-FE with a C551 Transsmision

I have secured most of the parts I think I need but I cannot seem to find a transmission that is compatible and the wrecker's yard engine I purchased did not have a gearbox with it.

I believe this engine shipped with a C59 transmission but I'm not sure? If I cannot source this transmission is there another compatible transmission from a commonly available model?

I feel it is important to point out that I am living in Ireland and as such models such as the newer Corolla is not sold here (It is sold as the Auris but has different powertrains, I believe I have one of only a handful of 2ZR-FE engines in the country) and Scions are non existent. 7th Gen Celicas however are very common and it would be easy enough to obtain a C60 series transmission if anyone has any thoughts on this? Can anyone foresee any pitfalls in changing out the entire drivetrain (transmission, driveshafts and hubs)?

I would be very very grateful for any help anyone could provide,

Many thanks

JD
Welcome! I wish I could help you, but I'm not familiar with configuration. You've probably seen this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_C_transmission

I found a 6-speed for the 2ZR but not sure what all would be involved.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MANUAL-TRAN...-/272595308860

Minimally, you would be looking at axle, hub swaps, I imagine.

I know that people have swapped in the 2ZZ and either 6-speed or auto and it requires notching the frame rail as the trans case is longer.

Search Armstrong Racing here on YW. He has done some interesting stuff with the manual transmissions. Also, CrankyOldMan (Sam) might be able to help out.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:21 PM   #3
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Drives: NCP131, F-150
I don't think ZZ and ZR engines share bellhousing bolt patterns. I may be incorrect though on that.

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:38 PM   #4
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch9521 View Post
I don't think ZZ and ZR engines share bellhousing bolt patterns. I may be incorrect though on that.
No, I don't think they are either. I didn't even know that the 2ZR had ever been mated to a 6-speed manual. Assumed they were all 5-speeds.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 08-27-2020, 06:22 PM   #5
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
No, I don't think they are either. I didn't even know that the 2ZR had ever been mated to a 6-speed manual. Assumed they were all 5-speeds.
If I'm not mistaken, the 2ZR Corolla came with a C51 transmission. The 2ZR will mate right up with the C50 transmission, which is what came in many 1NZ Yaris models (one of the reasons it's such an attractive swap here). More info in these 2ZR swap threads...

The 2zr-fe engine swap guide

Cranky's 2ZR-FE swap

My 2zrfe swap

Here is Tom's thread on the 6 speed conversion...

6 speed swap project

Hope it helps!

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:19 PM   #6
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the 2ZR Corolla came with a C51 transmission. The 2ZR will mate right up with the C50 transmission, which is what came in many 1NZ Yaris models (one of the reasons it's such an attractive swap here). More info in these 2ZR swap threads...

Cranky's 2ZR-FE swap

My 2zrfe swap

6 speed swap project

Hope it helps!
Awesome info compilation. I was doing a little wiki reading and ebay searching earlier and came across a reference to a six speed in a 2zr- powered Corolla. Maybe it was a misprint or me misunderstanding. Not entirely impossible, haha. Will try to find it again.

I think the title in the link below is incorrect

http://https://usedjdmengine.com/toyota/2zz-6speed-trans/9074

Old 08-27-2020, 09:02 PM   #7
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
The bell housings for most of the C5X family will usually bolt up to the 1NZ, 2ZR and 1ZZ. The bigger issue will be the mounting bosses and fastener holes--not every casting has every location drilled & tapped, not every boss is present on every variant.

Cranky's gearbox comparison

I have no experience with the C5XX family. I think we only got the C15X family here with the Echo and Tercel. Basically, you have to do a lot of inspecting and measuring and research to find something that will work, possibly by purchasing used gearboxes.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:44 AM   #8
JD990

Drives: XP 90
Arrow

Hi all, let me start by thanking everyone for the replies so far, this is a great community and I'm glad to be part of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post

Cranky's 2ZR-FE swap

My 2zrfe swap

6 speed swap project

Hope it helps!
Thanks for the links, I've actually read them all in my quest to garner as much info as possible,

So if I'm not mistaken the 1NZ in the 1.5L I4? This is another model that is very uncommon where I'm from, but the 2NZ-FE, being the 1.3 I4, is commonish around here and I believe that the guys in Mighty Car Mods bolted that transmission straight on without modification? If I could get this gearbox, driveshafts and hubs I should be set?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post

Sorry, I should have been clearer, at this time I'm just looking for any compatible transmission available from my limited selection. I'm not looking for a 6 speed right away, maybe in the future if I can source a EC63 and associated running gear I might consider it as I believe the Yaris TS came with this stock, but again, not sure,

Thanks again to everyone here, great stuff from all particularly CrankyOldMan who's encouragement made me start this project,

JD
JD990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:51 AM   #9
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
That gets you most of the way there. There's also the issue of mounts and wiring compatibility. You'd need to get a subscription to Toyota's TechInfo system (a 2-day should be plenty) and download all the electrical wiring diagrams (EWDs) for both the donor and recipient cars to verify compatibility of the wire harnesses and ECU. The transmission itself should only have the backup light switch and the speed sensor (if it doesn't already use the ABS sensors) but you'll need the rest of the diagrams for the engine itself.

The EC6X option is something I've been looking at for a long time but there are very few variants of that available here in the US. Would definitely be interesting to see how to do it though!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote