Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-24-2019, 03:40 AM   #1
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
How long do TPMS sensors last?

So I'm coming up on the time when I'm going to have to get new tires. (Hoping to make it thru the winter on my current, original, set but we'll see.) Anyway car is 6 years old and I was wondering if it wouldn't make more sense to replace the TPMS sensors while I had the tires off. Only problem is I am a cheap bastard and I hate the idea of spending money replacing something that is still working. Of course I know that at some point the batteries will die and I will have to do it then, potentially costing more as the tires will have to be removed in order to replace the sensors at that time.

Searching online I see a lot of 5 to 8 year lifespan quotes mostly coming from tire shops, TPMS manufactures, etc., i.e. people with a vested interest in selling me the sensors, but I see very little real life experience from actual consumers. Would be interested in some real life Yaris or Toyota examples, how long did your TPMS sensors last?
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:27 AM   #2
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Mine were 10 years old when I got new wheels. They still worked fine.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:12 PM   #3
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
As Lee said, 8-12ish depending on manufacturer and other variables

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 12:08 AM   #4
NYC-SE

Thanks guys. I'll just stick with the ones I have now in that case, looks like I should be able to get a few more years out of them. Maybe with a little luck they will make it to my next set of tires, if not I'll deal with it then.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:18 AM   #5
91mustang

Drives: Charcoal 2012 Yaris SE 5 Speed
I think the only thing that probably would fail would be the battery, no? One of mine got slime tire sealant in it, and apparently that stuff kills them. I need to replace one of mine.
91mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:37 PM   #6
NYC-SE

Yes it's the battery that dies but you have to replace the entire sensor when that happens. You can not replace just the battery, it is built into the sensor.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:42 PM   #7
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
I had a TPMS malfunction recently in my 2010 Yaris. The dealership wanted $230+ to replace each sensor. I have been told by multiple sources that the functional life of these sensors is give or take 7-10 years. I've had my Yaris 9 years now. As these sensors are getting up there in age, I really wanted to swap them all out and get new ones. Doing that at the dealership was out of the question, because that would cost me near $950 for all sensors. I took my Yaris to Costco, and they put in 4 new sensors, balanced my tires, and filled them with nitrogen for around $240. Much more affordable than the dealership, and if you have a Costco in your area it might be worth it for you to consider taking your Yaris to them to have this done. Good luck.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:50 AM   #8
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
The are still fine on my '09 Yaris purchased new.
My Yaris only has about 18.000 miles on it... long story.

The Yaris uses a lower cost indirect TPMS systern.... that does not actually monitor air pressure. Instead , it is actually tied into its ABS brake system believe it or not . This is because a tire with to low air pressure will rotate at a different rate . A tire with low air pressure will spin faster.

BTW the lithium batteries do not transmit constantly and conserve battery life. So, it matters how many miles you have on you Yaris for one thing.

"The lithium ion batteries inside TPMS sensors may last anywhere from five to 10 years. Five to six years is a more typical lifespan for older TPMS sensors. TPMS sensors don't broadcast a continuous signal but only broadcast when the vehicle is in motion. Even then, the signal is intermittent to conserve battery life. "

I think the 5-10 years figure is based on the average miles driven by consumers which is 20,000 miles a year .

Moe info.....
"What tells the sensors to transmit when they are on the road? Accelerometers and specific programming tell the sensors to transmit at specific intervals and speeds. When a sensor is not turning, it’s typically not transmitting information. When it’s moving, it’s transmitting information in 15, 30 or 60 second intervals depending on the application. Not transmitting a signal all of the time saves battery life, allowing some batteries to last up to 10 years.

When a vehicle is not moving for a defined period of time, usually between 10 to 20 minutes, the sensors will go into a rest or sleep mode. Some systems require the sensors to be in this mode when the relearn procedure is initiated. This is why some systems require the vehicle to sit for at least 20 minutes."

Last edited by RedRide; 02-03-2020 at 10:49 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:25 PM   #9
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
<old man rant>
The only reason you have them in your car is because of things like the Firestone/Ford tire debacle back in the late 90s/early 00's. If you do proper maintenance and pay attention to your tires you don't need them. But because people are cattle and treat their cars like disposable appliances, someone's attorney decided that a warning light needs to be present to tell you that your tires are going bad. I have multiple sets of tires, all on different wheels, none of which have the original TPMS sensors. I'm not shelling out cash every time I put on a different set to have the TPMS ECU re-taught, and I'm not paying for new TPMS sensors on every set of wheels I buy or un-mounting the tires to move the sensors every time I swap over to a different set.
</rant>

All that said, I don't know if NY/NYC requires functional TPMS for DoT/MoT/SoS inspections, so your requirements may vary. MI doesn't care about vehicle roadworthiness enough to force an inspection before allowing a vehicle to be (re)registered so it's a moot point for me. =)
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:02 PM   #10
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
FWIW, I live in an apartment complex. Fortunately, the parking lot for my building is right in front of my building. In fact, my reserved space for my car is right inn front of my apt... I can see my car from from any of my apt windows.

When I go out to my car, the first thing I do is do a a real quick walk around to check for door dings and.....the tires for apparent proper inflation.

I have seen neighbor after neighbor just go to their car, look at nothing.... just get in and drive off. They could have 4 flat tires for all they know.

BTW, I have one of those inexpensive 12v tire inflators (which I keep in my car) for any emergency or need
that might arise.

Last edited by RedRide; 02-07-2020 at 10:08 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:56 AM   #11
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
<old man rant>
The only reason you have them in your car is because of things like the Firestone/Ford tire debacle back in the late 90s/early 00's. If you do proper maintenance and pay attention to your tires you don't need them. But because people are cattle and treat their cars like disposable appliances, someone's attorney decided that a warning light needs to be present to tell you that your tires are going bad. I have multiple sets of tires, all on different wheels, none of which have the original TPMS sensors. I'm not shelling out cash every time I put on a different set to have the TPMS ECU re-taught, and I'm not paying for new TPMS sensors on every set of wheels I buy or un-mounting the tires to move the sensors every time I swap over to a different set.
</rant>

All that said, I don't know if NY/NYC requires functional TPMS for DoT/MoT/SoS inspections, so your requirements may vary. MI doesn't care about vehicle roadworthiness enough to force an inspection before allowing a vehicle to be (re)registered so it's a moot point for me. =)
You nailed it cranky...tpms are for the masses of sheep that only know how, or care to put gas in their car.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote