Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-18-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
1ZZ-FE Manifold Swap

I know lots of you have swapped out you stock TB for the 1ZZ's, but has anyone tried to swap out the entire manifold?

I was going to take some pictures and measurements of one to see what the differences are.

I remember a while ago at Toyota we tried putting a TRD 1ZZ S/C on a 2ZZ for a show car, but the manifold on the 1ZZ was narrower than the 2ZZ and would fit. Therefore, I'm wondering how close it is to the 1NZ.

The older NON VVT-i 1ZZ-FE has an aluminum tube style intake that would be nice on the 1NZ. Not to mention the addition of the bigger TB.

Thoughts?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
taKuto
rice rocket

Drives: 05 Echo
it's wider than the 1nzfe motor, so the end ports would pass the motor block. I was covering up those sections with JB weld but never got around to installing it since my 1zz throttle body had broken sensors and wasn't working. Till I find some money for another throttle body, it remains stored away for a rainy day.

http://yarisworld.com/forums/blog.php?b=108
Old 04-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
Yariz
Banned

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
what about 1zz Injector with 1zz TB would you need a better fuel pump? Would it throw CEL? I have seen that people have done it but haven't heard if its worth the hassle.
Yariz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yariz View Post
what about 1zz Injector with 1zz TB would you need a better fuel pump? Would it throw CEL? I have seen that people have done it but haven't heard if its worth the hassle.
You'd only need more fuel if you can get more air in.

The current problem with putting on a Corolla TB on the 1NZ intake manifold is the opening on the manifold is only as big as the stock TB. So IMO, it's a total waste unless you bore out the manifold to match the larger TB. It's like putting a restrictor plate the size of the stock TB without it being matched.

Quote:
it's wider than the 1nzfe motor, so the end ports would pass the motor block. I was covering up those sections with JB weld but never got around to installing it since my 1zz throttle body had broken sensors and wasn't working. Till I find some money for another throttle body, it remains stored away for a rainy day.

http://yarisworld.com/forums/blog.php?b=108
I forgot you did this a while ago, right? I think you posted it up on Echodrivers.com. I think with a new intake flange you could make it work right.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:10 PM   #5
Yariz
Banned

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
You'd only need more fuel if you can get more air in.

The current problem with putting on a Corolla TB on the 1NZ intake manifold is the opening on the manifold is only as big as the stock TB. So IMO, it's a total waste unless you bore out the manifold to match the larger TB. It's like putting a restrictor plate the size of the stock TB without it being matched

Well it was cheap, I can tell a difference, and it was super easy to install. Has anyone bored out the manifold that you know of?
Yariz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #6
taKuto
rice rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
I forgot you did this a while ago, right? I think you posted it up on Echodrivers.com. I think with a new intake flange you could make it work right.
a flange probably would work better, but i don't have the resources to make one for cheap
Old 04-19-2010, 08:45 AM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
pretty sure the bolt pattern won't line up

toyotatech from TN said very specifically to me via PM that it wouldnt fit
Old 04-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #8
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Ask Tamago, if I can go home and find the convo me and him had about this I will post it up. Supposedly another intake manifold from an older celica or something can bolt up to a 1nz with small modifications. I dunno if the outcome was doable or what, I will have to check it out

On second thought it might have been the old corolla as reading per your blog because i remember him saying it was aluminum, but he had insight on how to make it work. But definately no JB Welding for sure, do you want to take the risk of that stuff going into the engine? Just take it to a welding shop, it will cost $20 - the $8 you paid for JBweld :). I could've just save you some moneys!
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:58 PM   #9
taKuto
rice rocket

good idea nexus, my friend I believe has a MIG welder, i'm not sure if that would weld onto aluminum. Maybe I should just find a thin piece of metal, dremel out the 1nz ports and bolt holes, and have that act as a blocking plate instead of the JB weld?

The manifold's holes were shaved to the point where it'll let the bolts go through, so yes it can be modified to fit. Never got around to installing the nuts to hold it in place, not sure if there's enough clearance for all the holes.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:03 AM   #10
kou

Drives: 08 lb
Did you gain any hp or lose some from the swap.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:16 PM   #11
taKuto
rice rocket

Looking for something that's easy to work with, I thought about using a blank FR-4 board. I do some high frequency electrical prototyping so I have some boards laying around. This is easy to cut to shape since it's fiberglass/epoxy, and according to wiki it'll handle up to 140C/284F temp.
Would the motor block get hotter than this, and would there be anything else to worry about to change my mind in choosing this to make my blocking plate? I could just epoxy the edges of the holes I cut so that the dust wouldn't find its way into the motor.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:40 AM   #12
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
You'd need to get it TIG welded, some MIGs can do TIG welding but I have never seen it done on a MIG before, it would be easier and cheaper to take it to some place and have them do that, but obviously it will hinder airflow, but i don't know by how much though.
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #13
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

I've done Aluminum on my MIG. I needed to change my liner and you need to run pure argon gas not mixed argon/Co2 (though it still works, just not as well). Wire feed speeds go way up and amps go down to weld.

You should technically have a wire-feeding gun for smooth operation.