Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-01-2007, 03:36 AM   #19
Razr
YRS WHOR

Drives: White 2007 Yaris E-Limited 5dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM_EK3 View Post
Yikes.... Regardless of your results, I would NOT follow any of the advice given.
No-one's making you

Quote:
First and fore most, when applying a degreaser your engine should actually be warm to the touch prior to application.
The Engine Cleaner I use specifically states to apply it to a cool engine, and logic dictates that it's going to be difficult to get much soak-in time if the engine is warm or hot. Maybe it's just a matter if what's warm to you and what's warm to me? We never get daytime temparatures below 30c (86f) here, so I couldn't comment on whether effectiveness is reduced at lower ambient temps.

Quote:
Have you ever noticed what occures to your tires with the use of most tire "sheen" products? (there are exceptions of course) Due to the heat, they actually end up turning rubber a nasty brown/yellow colour after time....
It cannot be due to heat, otherwise my tires and engine would *always* be brown - It's 41c (106f) as I type this BTW :) I have seen what you're describing though, and have always attributed it to people who think that tire shine products are somehow or other a substitute for cleaning. From what I've seen, layering tire sheen over old dirty tires time after time, is what leads to brown tires.

Quote:
would you honestly want that occuring with all the rubber components of your engine, such as mounts, hoses, etc.?
For this one, I'm going to let some pictures do the talking.. Here's my last car, at 2 years of age, having had this exact type of engine detail peformed on a weekly basis (so 104 times):

Image1.jpg
Image2.jpg
Image3.jpg

Quote:
Lastly, once soaking up the majority of water after washing an engine bay, you can actually let the car run for a said amount of time to quicken the drying cycle.
Good advice, thanks!
Razr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:05 PM   #20
JDM_EK3

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razr View Post
The Engine Cleaner I use specifically states to apply it to a cool engine, and logic dictates that it's going to be difficult to get much soak-in time if the engine is warm or hot. Maybe it's just a matter if what's warm to you and what's warm to me? We never get daytime temparatures below 30c (86f) here, so I couldn't comment on whether effectiveness is reduced at lower ambient temps.
Then unfortunately the product you're using isn't that great of an engine degreaser. Most well known engine degreasers, will even go to the extent of asking you within their instructions to warm up the vehicle. The reason they would like your engine warm to the touch, is that it actually helps loosen the build up and helps in preventing the engine degreaser from evaporating too quickly.
JDM_EK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:43 PM   #21
forpinks

Drives: 03 Toyota Corolla S modded,
Quote:
Then unfortunately the product you're using isn't that great of an engine degreaser. Most well known engine degreasers, will even go to the extent of asking you within their instructions to warm up the vehicle. The reason they would like your engine warm to the touch, is that it actually helps loosen the build up and helps in preventing the engine degreaser from evaporating too quickly.
I tried degreaser when the engine is hot once...

Well... its an old honda civic "93" my buddy used to own... well I sprayed that "solder seal" engine degreaser when he came to my place and ask me to wash it bcoz his going for a group meet, so I hustled and sprayed it with E.D. and about 3 seconds after I sprayed it, nasty smelling smoke came out... then I hit the freakin header! and it went to flames! quickly he grabbed his "NOS lookin" fire extinguisher and sprayed the hell out of it!

the engine lining he installed got melted a bit and he told me to just stop it... and he just went to the club meet with a nasty lookin engine with a burnt hood padding...

what I'm saying is some cars need the engine cold just to clean it safely...

BUT YOU JUST GOTTA LOVE IT....
forpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:21 PM   #22
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Why degrease an engine that isn't greasy? As a note, those degreasers are powerful, so be careful not to get them into parts with bearings (ie. the alternator pully, A/C compressor pully)...
I just use low pressure water every time I wash the car and my cars stay nice and clean under the hood. Yes, I'm careful where I spray.
I would only clean under the hood by this method if I were tring to sell the car. Your pictures look great!
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:36 PM   #23
Razr
YRS WHOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Why degrease an engine that isn't greasy?
Good question, and a simple answer really - obviously to break down any new grime that's on the engine, but also to remove the previous application of dressing/protectant, so you're working with an absolutely clean surface.

It's a little of a catch 22, but it works great
Old 04-01-2007, 08:39 PM   #24
Razr
YRS WHOR

Quote:
Then unfortunately the product you're using isn't that great of an engine degreaser.

I'm sure there's better/more expensive engine cleaning products out there, but it does the job just fine - the proof is in the pudding, as they say
Old 04-02-2007, 09:22 AM   #25
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Quote:
You won't have a problem with the electrics in the Yaris, as the only exposed potential your water might get in contact with is 13.8VDC and anything sensitive to water is encased with well implemented Ingress Protection (e.g. coil-over plugs, ECU etc).

Have been doing it this way for 15 years on 11 different vehicles, never a problem.
Same here. I've been doing this using similar products for at least 10 years. No electrical problems ever.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:41 AM   #26
jaspie
Lil White her name is ~

Drives: White YRX 5DR Hatchback 2006
I want to do this with my friend's Camry Sportivo 2003 ~ Is it ok to the the exact same thing ~

Damn the water restrictions here ~ I will have to take it to a commercial car wash with the sprays ~ Yes, I will make sure it's on low pressure ~

About watching out for the belts and others.....how do I "look" out for them or know if I'm getting them sprayed or not ~

I will be doing this to my Yaris too ^_^ ~ Though one person can not drive two cars so I will have to take it to the commercial car wash separately ~

I DON'T LIKE WATER RESTRICTIONS ~

Jaspie ~
jaspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:23 AM   #27
Razr
YRS WHOR

The Camry will be fine as well.

As for the belts, it's simple - look at them, understand where they are, then don't spray any dressing/protectant on them :) The engine cleaner and the water don't pose a problem for your belts.

Are you allowed to use a watering can with the water restrictions, or are all forms of car washing prohibited? If a watering can can be used, that'll probably do the job - you're really only rinsing off the engine cleaner.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:09 PM   #28
JDM_EK3

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by forpinks View Post
I tried degreaser when the engine is hot once...

Well... its an old honda civic "93" my buddy used to own... well I sprayed that "solder seal" engine degreaser when he came to my place and ask me to wash it bcoz his going for a group meet, so I hustled and sprayed it with E.D. and about 3 seconds after I sprayed it, nasty smelling smoke came out... then I hit the freakin header! and it went to flames! quickly he grabbed his "NOS lookin" fire extinguisher and sprayed the hell out of it!

the engine lining he installed got melted a bit and he told me to just stop it... and he just went to the club meet with a nasty lookin engine with a burnt hood padding...

what I'm saying is some cars need the engine cold just to clean it safely...
The engine is not ment to be "HOT", it's ment to be "warm to the touch".
JDM_EK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:53 PM   #29
jaspie
Lil White her name is ~

Quote:
The Camry will be fine as well.

As for the belts, it's simple - look at them, understand where they are, then don't spray any dressing/protectant on them :) The engine cleaner and the water don't pose a problem for your belts.

Are you allowed to use a watering can with the water restrictions, or are all forms of car washing prohibited? If a watering can can be used, that'll probably do the job - you're really only rinsing off the engine cleaner.
We are only allowed to use a water bucket to clean our mirrors. car plate and windows now ~ We just reached Level 5 water restrictions >_< ~ Which means we can only have 4 minute showers ~

Thanks for the help ^_^ ~

Jaspie ~
Old 04-02-2007, 09:26 PM   #30
Razr
YRS WHOR

car plate? 'sif you'd go to the trouble of letting speed cameras get a good shot of your car if you're not allowed to wash the rest of it :P
Old 04-02-2007, 09:45 PM   #31
jaspie
Lil White her name is ~

Quote:
car plate? 'sif you'd go to the trouble of letting speed cameras get a good shot of your car if you're not allowed to wash the rest of it :P
Agreed ~

Jaspie ~
Old 04-02-2007, 11:00 PM   #32
R0ME0

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS Turbo
Sweet! Is that the stock engine cover or did you add stickers to the VVTI part to make it red?
Old 04-02-2007, 11:38 PM   #33
jaspie
Lil White her name is ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0ME0 View Post
Sweet! Is that the stock engine cover or did you add stickers to the VVTI part to make it red?
I'm pretty sure it's stock ~

*goes check my engine*

Hmm....mine's silver ~

Jaspie ~
Old 04-03-2007, 02:26 AM   #34
Razr
YRS WHOR

Red was standard on mine..
Old 04-03-2007, 08:16 AM   #35
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
yup, for some reason it looks like all 1NZ engine covers have some red VVT-i lettering over here...

The red color alone must bring the engine's power up a few horsepower!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:44 PM   #36
Razr
YRS WHOR

Well actually I've seen the Thai market Yaris rated at 109HP, while the North American Yaris is rated at 107HP, so there might be some truth in that.. or maybe someone just made an error in the conversion from kW