Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-23-2014, 09:04 PM   #37
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Drives: 07 silver sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaironl View Post
BTW it sounds like you had a tough time any fun in it though? I hope I can get some help when I need to install my tein springs
Yes, it was tough, because of the sudden time constraints we fell under. That's when things began to feel more like a chore than a hobby. Again, like I said, it's better to choose someone more "compatible" with you, someone you know you work well with. It just makes the install experience better. I chose my brother not because of this, but because he's got plenty of experience that are on basically another level. My choice, can't take it back now.

But even when the work was at its hardest, it was a blast. Just getting in there and looking at every square inch of your car's internals, which you've probably never seen before, nor cared about, suddenly gets you curious, about lots of things.
"What's this thing for?"
"Weird, it looks a little tilted there."
"Oh THAT'S where it goes!"
Then you have to look everything up. I had a 7" tablet with me. It was like having like a million manuals, plus this forum, in the garage.

My brother says that if you don't take a moment to just chill and relax, from these thoughts, it'll consume you. I think it's too late for me. I've been bit. I'm up all night thinking about what to do with Yaris.

Then when you first jump in to test it out, break it in a little, and you've never lowered your own ride before, you'll feel awkward as hell, worrying about what you did to your car. It's when you realise the car's got newer limits that you look at that plain old street bend a different way, fling round the corner, almost bash your head into the window, and even with the thing's puny 1.5 litre, you rocket past that apex full throttle grinning from ear to ear, partly in disbelief. I laughed maniacally. My brother can vouch for me.
sheekeebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:19 PM   #38
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
That looks awesome ...nice drop and love the wheels ...how low did u go ?
Will post my numbers in a bit.

Quote:
Lol headlights ...I have been meaning to do same after I lowered my Yaris
I'll do the necessaries to get back to street legal and the authorities off me. The police around where I live simply want you to be sensible about your ride, in the streets. Give them no reason to pull you over, and they'll pull you over anyway, just for a quick check on your record and to compliment your car. With this in mind, you'll understand where I came up with the abovementioned numbers.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #39
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Sounds like peel region to me ...lol

sent from Mars using Moto g !
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:38 PM   #40
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Quote:
Sounds like peel region to me ...lol
You guessed it!
Old 06-23-2014, 09:41 PM   #41
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Lol ...my old neck of the woods ...and yes they can be a pain in the butt

sent from Mars using Moto g !
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:16 PM   #42
vaironl

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 door, manual tran
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheekeebut View Post
Yes, it was tough, because of the sudden time constraints we fell under. That's when things began to feel more like a chore than a hobby......
It looks so beautiful

I'm on the same boat now. I recently found out I'm not getting any more grants for school so I have to save up to pay for the next 2 semesters, but I also want to lightly mod my car.
vaironl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:41 PM   #43
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Quote:
It looks so beautiful

I'm on the same boat now. I recently found out I'm not getting any more grants for school so I have to save up to pay for the next 2 semesters, but I also want to lightly mod my car.
I'd go with the general consensus that the most useful mod you can have for a daily driver -- no track -- is springs AND shocks. The bolt-on engine upgrades don't fit my budget at all, with single-digit-percent (read unnoticeable) gains on our 1NZ FE, as I've gleaned from this forum. If I've got no more than $1K to spend on the thing, I'll probably skip the rims and rubber and go straight to suspension. No offence to the rims and rubber, but the looks and extra grip don't quite catch me as much as the feel of the road in a stiffer car.

My brother wants me to get a strut brace to firm up my fronts. I'll either go solid 3-point or won't bother. I think rear sway is next on the list as soon as I get accustomed to the current setup, i.e. after alignment, ride height tweaks (possibly a touch higher -- yes, higher! my centre of gravity works great when my oil pan's not crashing into railroad crossings and various road construction debris) and a full winter and spring of driving experience.

Are you in the GTA?
Old 06-23-2014, 10:55 PM   #44
vaironl

Quote:
I'd go with the general consensus that the most useful mod you can have for a daily driver -- no track -- is springs AND shocks. The bolt-on engine upgrades don't fit my budget at all, with single-digit-percent (read unnoticeable) gains on our 1NZ FE, as I've gleaned from this forum. If I've got no more than $1K to spend on the thing, I'll probably skip the rims and rubber and go straight to suspension. No offence to the rims and rubber, but the looks and extra grip don't quite catch me as much as the feel of the road in a stiffer car.

My brother wants me to get a strut brace to firm up my fronts. I'll either go solid 3-point or won't bother. I think rear sway is next on the list as soon as I get accustomed to the current setup, i.e. after alignment, ride height tweaks (possibly a touch higher -- yes, higher! my centre of gravity works great when my oil pan's not crashing into railroad crossings and various road construction debris) and a full winter and spring of driving experience.

Are you in the GTA?

That's exactly where I'm heading. I'm waiting for tokico shocks and struts to go on sale somewhere to avoid damaging the stock ones. I actually also want to get some wheels and tires, but I've seen some ridiculous prices (relative to my budget, not the quality) of those, which have kept me from getting some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2014, 10:57 PM   #45
sheekeebut
Minimalist

The Numbers
====================================

The values below represent the lengths in the height adjustment systems that decide how high/low you want it. The lower the number, the more lowering.

Excerpt from Tein manual:
----------------------------------------
Reference Value (Yaris 07-11 3dr/4dr) for USA
Front 0.8 inch (20 mm)
Rear H.A.S. 1.8 inch (46 mm)

Reference Value (Yaris 07-11) for UK
Front 1.0 inch (25 mm)

(don't know what's so different about UK from the US models, but notice my numbers below are just a bit offset higher than the UK values)

Remember when I said we were under time constraints? Well, I decided that I didn't have time to set to default values and then readjust, so I decided to go with these values from the start:

My Values
Front 1 3/16 inch (30 mm)
Rear H.A.S. 1 31/32 inch (50 mm)

Tein manual wheel centre to fender reference values:
"USA"
Front 12.8 / 12.6 inch (325 / 320 mm)
Rear 12.8 / 12.6 inch (325 / 320 mm)

"UK"
Front 13 inch (330 mm)
Rear 12.8 inch (325 mm)
Stock values:
~ 14 1/2 inch (368 mm) all around

Lowered, results from my values:
~ 13 inch (330 mm) all around

Before install, I was worried about rub on pronounced weight transfer, hard bumps and full steering lock, especially on wheels that I suspected were 38 ET instead of 45. I still don't know what offset they are (rushed install), but they don't rub. Tested on full stretch of Mississauga Rd Erin Mills from Steeles to Dundas. I don't look forward to the construction areas where they've torn up asphalt and mark raised manhole covers with orange paint that you don't notice until it's too late.

Scraped audibly only once going down to parking garage. Learned my lesson, I now approach skewed, leaving or entering.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:03 PM   #46
vaironl

Quote:
The Numbers

The values below represent the lengths in the height adjustment systems that decide how high/low you want it. The lower the number, the more lowering.

Excerpt from Tein manual:

Reference Value (Yaris 07-11 3dr/4dr) for USA

Front 0.8 inch (20 mm)

Reference Value (Yaris 07-11) for UK

Front 1.0 inch (25 mm)

(don't know what's so different about UK from the US models, but notice my numbers below are just a bit offset higher than the UK values)

Remember when I said we were under time constraints? Well, I decided that I didn't have time to set to default values and then readjust, so I decided to go with these values from the start:

My Values

Front 1 3/16 inch (30 mm)

Rear H.A.S. 1 31/32 inch (50 mm)

Tein manual wheel centre to fender reference values:

"USA"

Front 12.8 / 12.6 inch (325 / 320 mm)

Rear 12.8 / 12.6 inch (325 / 320 mm)

"UK"

Front 13 inch (330 mm)

Rear 12.8 inch (325 mm)

Stock values:

~ 14 1/2 inch (368 mm) all around

Lowered, results from my values:

~ 13 inch (330 mm) all around

Before install, I was worried about rub on pronounced weight transfer, hard bumps and full steering lock, especially on wheels that I suspected were 38 ET instead of 45. I still don't know what offset they are (rushed install), but they don't rub. Tested on full stretch of Mississauga Rd Erin Mills from Steeles to Dundas. I don't look forward to the construction areas where they've torn up asphalt and mark raised manhole covers with orange paint that you don't notice until it's too late.

Scraped audibly only once going down to parking garage. Learned my lesson, I now approach skewed, leaving or entering.

Oh yes!!! The scraping stories begin.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:29 PM   #47
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Quote:
That's exactly where I'm heading. I'm waiting for tokico shocks and struts to go on sale somewhere to avoid damaging the stock ones.
Well, I don't know where you're from, but I've checked Amazon, ebay and a few online retailers, and either they don't ship at all to Canada, or they don't have the rear Tokico Blues spec'd for the Yaris (HE2987). They may have largely been sold out and pulled from production, as the new Yaris has come out. The post below says that the rear Blues for the Scion XD (HE2993) work fine,

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ghlight=HE2993

and they are still readily available, but I didn't want to run into any surprises with that, as Tokico clearly distinguished between these part numbers. Tokico Reds were out of the question.

[Side note]: Sorry cali yaris, I actually called microimage like a million times in one day to see if you ship to Canada. Got no answer, though. If it weren't for my impatience, I would've saved the $200 and gotten the Tanabe NF210s with the Tokico Blues. I wonder what my silver sedan would have driven like with those...

Either way, vaironl, I'm crossing my fingers, hoping you find someone here who's willing to sell a set.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:05 AM   #48
sheekeebut
Minimalist

My good weather sneakers:
GP Racing GR-6 15x6.5 ET 45 flat black
Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/50R15

The previous owner of the above reported it was GP Racing, but the hole pattern (not lug holes) leaves me to think they're aren't GR-6. Google it up, you'll know what I mean. The reported offset is probable, judging from how great they fit.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:43 AM   #49
sheekeebut
Minimalist

I stayed away from anything 16" and over
1) to open me up to (what I assume) more tire selection and more affordable tires
2) to give more sidewall cushion to the more affordable "replica" rims, coincidentally in my price range. Internet horror stories of knockoff rims shattering and shearing at the spokes left me paranoid
3) to avoid excess unsprung and enjoy any weight benefits that cast alloys may offer over the steelies
4) to reduce the daylight within the wheel, makes the brakes look properly sized. I detest the oversized look:

The wife already thinks the flat black is a bit gaudy. I somewhat agree, but I couldn't pass up the kijiji offer.

I might get silver one day, if I ever find them in this size, or paint these ones some low-key "OEM" semi-gloss silver to blend in with the 401 herd. My practical side tells me I'll do nothing of the sort, as all this costs time and money better spent on a rear sway bar.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:24 AM   #50
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
The 2993 rears are just fine (in fact, feel better) on the Yaris. We've sold dozens of sets with no problems, no failures, and no complaints.

Happy to ship to Canada. Side note: I didn't get a million messages. Or a PM. Or an email, I *think*. Happy to PM you my personal cell phone number.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:45 AM   #51
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
The 2993 rears are just fine (in fact, feel better) on the Yaris. We've sold dozens of sets with no problems, no failures, and no complaints.

Happy to ship to Canada. Side note: I didn't get a million messages. Or a PM. Or an email, I *think*. Happy to PM you my personal cell phone number.
Then again, I wouldn't like to check a million messages. I'd think the caller was a jerk.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:31 AM   #52
vaironl

I have to save up for my school first, so in about 2 weeks I should be able to buy the tokicos from Garm. I saw them at around $15 less on a website, but I prefer to order from microimage. I made Garm go through hell with a purchase and he still treated me really nice .

By the way you could have save some money with the springs, but now you do have adjustable height. In case of horrible winters/weather you have the option to raise the car.

And also, those pictures are sexy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #53
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Thanks! For once, somebody who doesn't berate me for not going slammed! It's like peer pressure, I tell you.

And you're right about the adjustability. It's my nature to tweak things, so this worked out well. I'd like to keep adjustments to a minimum though, because alignments aren't cheap.

I take it you're all too familiar with winters. Are you from the GTA?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2014, 02:26 AM   #54
yariseggvvti

Drives: Yaris Hatchieback
Quote:
Thanks! For once, somebody who doesn't berate me for not going slammed! It's like peer pressure, I tell you.

And you're right about the adjustability. It's my nature to tweak things, so this worked out well. I'd like to keep adjustments to a minimum though, because alignments aren't cheap.

I take it you're all too familiar with winters. Are you from the GTA?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
I didnt do any alignement at all and I had install adjustable front sway link too. I dont see or feel any problem to aliigment. I think those tech are b.s about aligments. it costs 150 each time.
yariseggvvti is offline   Reply With Quote