Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-24-2015, 08:39 PM   #1
MoneyT8

Drives: White Yaris Sedan
What is going on with my AUX input?

Hello, I just bought an AUX cable for my 2007 Yaris Sedan to use with my smartphone. I've never used the AUX port before but I found very useful. So I got it working for the first few times using it to play music from my phone than all of a sudden it would stop working. When I press the CD/AUX button it would not go to AUX mode. WTF? I tested my AUX cable on my laptop it worked fined so the cable is good. I was really disappointed.

What can I do to fix this? Maybe replace the AUX port? Buy a new aftermarket unit with an AUX port? I know that means I can't use the AUX port by Toyota.

Thanks in advance.
MoneyT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:48 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It is likely the aux port. Besides passing the audio signals it triggers a switch within the jack that tells the head unit to enable aux mode.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:25 AM   #3
MoneyT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
It is likely the aux port. Besides passing the audio signals it triggers a switch within the jack that tells the head unit to enable aux mode.
Any suggestions on fixing this issue? Is this a known issue with the Yaris?

Old 07-25-2015, 06:34 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyT8 View Post
Any suggestions on fixing this issue? Is this a known issue with the Yaris?

Not a common issue, but if you plug and unplug frequently, you simple wear out the contacts in the jack. The simplest fix is replacing the jack.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:18 AM   #5
MoneyT8

Quote:
Not a common issue, but if you plug and unplug frequently, you simple wear out the contacts in the jack. The simplest fix is replacing the jack.
Thank you, do you know the part #? It's strange because it was my first time using it I guess the previous owner used the hell out of it. Thank again .
Old 07-25-2015, 09:17 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The part number for the one for your Sedan is: 86190-53010
Old 07-26-2015, 01:47 PM   #7
bairjo

Quote:
I'm at work right now, otherwise I would go out to my car to see if this makes any difference....doe the audio source need to be turned on in order to trigger that switch or does the fact that a plug is inserted and making contact do the trick?
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:46 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
I'm at work right now, otherwise I would go out to my car to see if this makes any difference....doe the audio source need to be turned on in order to trigger that switch or does the fact that a plug is inserted and making contact do the trick?
No. Plugging the plug in triggers a switch within the jack that closes a circuit to tell the head unit that an aux source is present.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:35 PM   #9
bairjo

ok...now I know....thank you. I can just remember a time when I was fumbling trying to flip that little cover up and plug the aux wire in with the one hand until the aux function worked. I couldn't remember whether the source was on or off when I finally landed the plug in the hole...that little flipper cover is a pain in the butt when you are driving...
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote