Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-05-2020, 05:55 PM   #1
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
The battery in my '09 Yaris finally died

I still had the original battery in my '09 Yaris ... that only has 19 K miles on it (long story).

I noticed lately although it always started easy enough I seemed to crank just a hair slower to start.
I knew that it was living on borrowed time but, one thing led to another and I never got around to replacing it.

It started fine last night.
Well,.... this morning, I tried to start it but all I got was the sound of the starter solenoid clicking along with all sorts of check engine, "service needed" messages in the display.... All these error messages that say that I need service is kind of humorous as it does not take a MENSA member to know that that something is wrong if the engine will not even turn over.to start it .
The battery still had some power... enough for the accessories but, not quite enough to start it.

It seems that even the idiot lights have become idiot messages and about meaningless
A simple Low battery warning would be all that is needed to pinpoint the problem but, you do not even get that.

I live in am apt complex and fortunately, right across the road from me is an auto transfer company and small repair shop that does minor repair work for the public.... brakes belts, oil changes etc .
So, they came over with a portable battery pack and it started right up.
Yeah, they also installed a new battery for me. and everything is back to 100% normal . I could have gotten a battery cheaper elsewhere but, I was just glad to get the car running .
Anyway, I am just glad it "died" right in front of my apartment . :)

Last edited by RedRide; 03-05-2020 at 07:05 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:21 PM   #2
Mongoose7

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Which brand was your OEM battery?
Mongoose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:33 PM   #3
RedRide

Toyota
Old 03-05-2020, 07:44 PM   #4
Mongoose7

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Certain years had different Toyota OEM brands; some were "FB High Dash", other years/models had a Panasonic battery as OEM.
Mongoose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:28 PM   #5
RedRide

Anyway they deal only in "Interstate" brand batteries.
They replaced it with this ......another #35 of course.

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/...ategoryid=true

BTW, not having bought or price batteries in over 15 years I had no idea how expensive they have become for all brands

I was charged $150 total for them coming to my place to jump me and the battery.
Like I said I was just glad to get my Yaris running.

Last edited by RedRide; 03-05-2020 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:19 PM   #6
RedRide

BTW I first called AAA road service as I had been a member for about 10 years... ever since I got a cell phone as seemed to give some peace of mind ... for just in case.
This was the fist time I ever called them and it was a total disaster.....starting with with menu hell and the garbled cell phone connection that they use. I was on my land line at home
They promised a service truck arriving within 35 minutes.
1 1/2 hours later... still no AAA.

So, I went across the road.

When I finally got home with the new battery, I called AAA again and raised hell about their fraudulent ways ... explaining all that happened.
Long story short, I told them I wanted to delete my account and for them to refund my last payment.. I will be receiving a check... refunding my last payment

So, beware of the current AAA road service They are certainly not the the AAA of old

Last edited by RedRide; 03-05-2020 at 09:34 PM.