Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #55
Kwakwaversal

Drives: Yaris 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Iscariot View Post
i fixed it! lol, Thanks CT.... all i had to do was total it. problem solved.
I have exactly the same problem with my car. One minute everything was fine, next minute the low beams no longer work.

May I ask how you fixed it? I don't understand what 'total it' means in your summing up sentence "Thanks CT.... all i had to do was total it" :/ :)

Cheers.
Kwakwaversal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:01 AM   #56
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwakwaversal View Post
I have exactly the same problem with my car. One minute everything was fine, next minute the low beams no longer work.

May I ask how you fixed it? I don't understand what 'total it' means in your summing up sentence "Thanks CT.... all i had to do was total it" :/ :)

Cheers.
Unfortunately, by "total it" he means that he got in an accident and completely wrecked the car.

With your, have you checked the bulbs? The most common reason for no low beams is that both bulbs have burned out their low beam filament.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #57
Kwakwaversal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Unfortunately, by "total it" he means that he got in an accident and completely wrecked the car.

With your, have you checked the bulbs? The most common reason for no low beams is that both bulbs have burned out their low beam filament.
Oh wow, sorry to hear it. I am, however, hoping to have a better resolution. :o

I was thinking that the fact they both stopped working at the same time was too much of a coincidence, but the cost of new bulbs makes the most sense to test first.

Cheers.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:04 AM   #58
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwakwaversal View Post
Oh wow, sorry to hear it. I am, however, hoping to have a better resolution. :o

I was thinking that the fact they both stopped working at the same time was too much of a coincidence, but the cost of new bulbs makes the most sense to test first.

Cheers.

What tends to happen is that one bulb dies, you don't notice it, and then the other goes. Before buying new bulbs, you could pop one out to make sure.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #59
Kwakwaversal

Quote:
What tends to happen is that one bulb dies, you don't notice it, and then the other goes. Before buying new bulbs, you could pop one out to make sure.
Yeah I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. Picked up a couple of bulbs and everything is fine.

I think I should subscribe more to the principle of Occam's razor.

Cheers :)
Old 06-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #60
funky2nite

Drives: 2013 Hybrid 1.5L T4
Exclamation re headlight / normal driving beam / dipped beam stopped but rest is ok

Quote:

sorry to bother you mate, I think this thread is the gold mine off the search on the internet, am still a bit baffled up from where to start from what I've been reading off your posts. I noticed our 2006 yaris/vitz has just had its dipped lights/ normal driving lights go off. Over the past weeks I noticed occasionally that the lights went off and on/ flickered a bit during driving but then back on and remained during the trip, which cautioned me but as long as they seem to be fixed I didnt worry much. but now they'er off, kinda the car's not drivable at night. I checked both 10A H/L fuses under the hood which are fine, and the under the dash fuse 10A termed d/L still fine. anything in particular that strikes your mind? all other lights do work.
funky2nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:29 AM   #61
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky2nite View Post
sorry to bother you mate, I think this thread is the gold mine off the search on the internet, am still a bit baffled up from where to start from what I've been reading off your posts. I noticed our 2006 yaris/vitz has just had its dipped lights/ normal driving lights go off. Over the past weeks I noticed occasionally that the lights went off and on/ flickered a bit during driving but then back on and remained during the trip, which cautioned me but as long as they seem to be fixed I didnt worry much. but now they'er off, kinda the car's not drivable at night. I checked both 10A H/L fuses under the hood which are fine, and the under the dash fuse 10A termed d/L still fine. anything in particular that strikes your mind? all other lights do work.
Does your 2006 have HID headlights? If so, it may be the ballasts, as another person on here who has a set of imported headlights recently had the same thing happen and ended up having to replace the ballasts.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #62
funky2nite

Exclamation Thanks for replying CT! what a sigh of relief

Quote:
Does your 2006 have HID headlights? If so, it may be the ballasts, as another person on here who has a set of imported headlights recently had the same thing happen and ended up having to replace the ballasts.
No it's stock still with it's japanese stock headlights, we guess since there was a previous owner before us, but again the headlights seems stock. Again as I mentioned, a few weeks ago I witnessed the dipped lights go off whilst drive but back on a few moments later.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:51 AM   #63
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky2nite View Post
No it's stock still with it's japanese stock headlights, we guess since there was a previous owner before us, but again the headlights seems stock. Again as I mentioned, a few weeks ago I witnessed the dipped lights go off whilst drive but back on a few moments later.
Some of the Japanese ones had stock HID headlights and they really don't look much different than the non-HID ones. The picture below (from ebay) is a HID one. The main difference (besides the ballast mounted to the bottom of the housing) is the longer, narrower bulb with the HID ones.

If you verify that they are not HIDs, then my next suspicion would be the headlight switch itself or its connector. On one of mine, a pin had gotten sloppy from too many times of the connector being plugged and unplugged, and my lights started flickering at night. I figured it out by driving with the lower steering column cover removed and when it would happen I could wiggle the wires and make them come back on.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:32 PM   #64
funky2nite

Exclamation some shots of our headlight

Quote:
Some of the Japanese ones had stock HID headlights and they really don't look much different than the non-HID ones. The picture below (from ebay) is a HID one. The main difference (besides the ballast mounted to the bottom of the housing) is the longer, narrower bulb with the HID ones.

If you verify that they are not HIDs, then my next suspicion would be the headlight switch itself or its connector. On one of mine, a pin had gotten sloppy from too many times of the connector being plugged and unplugged, and my lights started flickering at night. I figured it out by driving with the lower steering column cover removed and when it would happen I could wiggle the wires and make them come back on.
Thanks CT Scott, managed to ask the missus to send me the following shots of the headlights:

I understand your point on wiggling the wires under the steering column, from our end I can recall that the last time steering column has been opened is like 3 yrs ago to fit the FM radio thingy that unlocks the FM european frequency on the factory headunit. Although now I've just remembered that I've replaced headunit to an aftermarket one like a year and a half ago, since the stock one had the touchscreen stop functioning. in other words that fm frequency chip can be removed I gues.. but again..I dunno if this is related.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:56 PM   #65
funky2nite

Exclamation definitely not HID

Quote:

have already sent you a post with image links, and it's subject to moderation thats why the post didnt show up yet. I just confirmed that HID is a way longer bulb than the halogen one which has the black tip. mine's are definitely with the black tip.

also in the post subject to moderation because of the image links, I did mention that the last tiem I can recall of opening up steering column was once like 3 years ago when we still had the stock double din touch screen factory headunit, in which I fitted an fm european frequency unlocker on the stock headunit, but after that like a year and a half ago touchscreen did stop functioning and had replaced it with an aftermarket kenwood one, which reminds me that now I dont need that chip any longer which is still in the column. but again this is years ago and I wonder how it could interfere.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:11 AM   #66
funky2nite

Thumbs up Its now fixed for anyone in the same boat, I've logged back in for you guys

Quote:

Thanks for your help mate, after I found out that our headlights are still halogen, had no other option and took it to a guy, instantly he presumed that its from the stalk switch itself, he swapped it with a genuine one and voila it worked. eur65 for stalk + eur20 labor cost.. pricey but a must do cos noone wants a car with no lights... I wouldnt figure how toyotas should fail in such manner..and the guy was kinda sure what's to blame in fact he was right, he said its a common occurence..and the island here is full of yaris/vitz japan imports so the fault would be rectified.

cheers for your help guys, especially you CTscott

Ian - Malta
Old 09-05-2019, 11:27 PM   #67
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
So, my wife and son come in from hockey practice and tell me that the hazard lights in our '08 started spontaneously flashing, accompanied by a fast "beeping sound". The doors were open and keys out of the ignition. Now my driver's side low beam and marker lights don't work. High beam does. Looks like I"ll be pressing my multimeter into service. Oh joy!

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote