Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-24-2020, 09:04 AM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Oil Change on the Turbo Yaris

Covid-19 isolating has given me time to work on my car, and do lots of posts including such basic things as oil changes. Hopefully. it's not too boring. Getting the car ready for spring. Although there was probably less than a couple thousand kms on the oil, I figured I'd change it out. I live on the edge with this car, so it does get extra maintenance.

After reviewing tmontague's posts on oil, I decided to go with the 5W20

While doing the oil change, I checked all connections: turbo piping, turbo manifold and downpipe bolts/studs, oil feed, drain, turbo coolant hoses and all connections and hoses for the transmission cooling tubing, sensors and cooler etc for leaks as well as checked piping clearances etc. I did a lot of rustproofing while I was under there too.

One minor thing I found...

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 04-24-2020 at 09:17 AM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:06 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Nice. I took this time to change the coolant on my Yaris yesterday since it's past 100k miles.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:34 PM   #3
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Nice. I took this time to change the coolant on my Yaris yesterday since it's past 100k miles.
Ah ha. That reminds me. I should do that too. I think my current coolant only has a couple thousand kms and about a year on it as well. It's probably fine, but I do like fresh fluids in the spring. Brake fluid flush is slated for tomorrow, unless I get diverted onto restoring the new (used) set of wheels I picked up today.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 04-26-2020, 03:35 AM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Ah ha. That reminds me. I should do that too. I think my current coolant only has a couple thousand kms and about a year on it as well. It's probably fine, but I do like fresh fluids in the spring. Brake fluid flush is slated for tomorrow, unless I get diverted onto restoring the new (used) set of wheels I picked up today.
Yeah, I wouldn't bother with the coolant if it's that new still.

Brake fluid is something most people don't ever change or even look at. What do you use? I like DOT3/4 (Amsoil brand for me). I've tried Torque RT700 (DOT 4), but it didn't last long before starting to absorb water...but then again, I think the shop I went to botched it up (actually, a couple years later, admitted to it, but that's another story). Figure, the one time I let someone else work on my car...
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:51 AM   #5
woops

Drives: Jeep Cherokee XJ 1996
Good job but sir, please get a pair of proper jackstands, infact get 4x of them, they are cheap - reliable and small enough to not take too much space.
woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:14 PM   #6
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by woops View Post
Good job but sir, please get a pair of proper jackstands, infact get 4x of them, they are cheap - reliable and small enough to not take too much space.
Thanks. Actually I do have 4 jack stands. A couple of them are 5 ton stands. My car lived on them while I did the swap and then the turbo kit. For quick jobs like oil changes, inspections and trans fluid drain etc. I just jack up and block under the tires with 4 x 4s. Normally, I would crib two levels of three blocks for a total of 6 per wheel, but this time I only used 4, each side. Even if the jacks failed, the car would only drop a couple inches.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:37 AM   #7
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't bother with the coolant if it's that new still.

Brake fluid is something most people don't ever change or even look at. What do you use? I like DOT3/4 (Amsoil brand for me). I've tried Torque RT700 (DOT 4), but it didn't last long before starting to absorb water...but then again, I think the shop I went to botched it up (actually, a couple years later, admitted to it, but that's another story). Figure, the one time I let someone else work on my car...
Sorry, I missed this. Yeah, I've seen some pretty dark fluid in cars that come into our school shop. I'm sure that a lot of brake jobs (caliper replacement) could have been avoided even with very occasional brake flushing. I just use SuperTech (blue bottle) DOT3.

I totally get doing your own work. It's not always that techs are not skilled, but probably a little more cavalier as it's not their own personal vehicle. Even dealerships I've talk to will often use un-approved fluids. I'm still surprised when speaking with dealerships that they don't even always use their stocked OEM fluids. I was speaking with Kia and VW about what's involved in their transmission fluid replacement and they use a universal fluid, Wynns or something. I would actually have to 'request' that they use OEM fluid.