Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-01-2006, 09:30 PM   #1
jcove

Drives: 2011 Rogue
Talking Motor Silk

I just tried an engine lubricant called Motor Silk in my 2003 Altima 2.5S. The car has about 90,000 kms on it. I put it in on Thursday and I already notice a difference. Not like there's lots of horsepower or anything, but it feels much smoother. It's my wife's car so I don't drive it every day and I noticed that today it felt much smoother, it was idling better and wasn't straining when I let out the clutch at low rpm. Not that it was a big deal before, but it's just that little bit better. I'm going to keep an eye on the gas mileage to see how good it does. I currently run synthetic oil, and we're getting about 7L/100kms. If it works really good, I'm definately putting it in my Yaris. I know it won't make as much of a difference, but it's like the synthetic oil, it's a cheap insurance. Check it out here:

www.altboron.com
jcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:37 AM   #2
DJ_SpaRky
Resident Scion Guy

Drives: 2008 Mazda3 S Sport
sounds like Z-max "microlube" LOL

I'll be switching to Syn after 5000 mi. not sure which brand though, Mobil1 is coing out with different stuff lately.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:26 PM   #3
jcove

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_SpaRky
sounds like Z-max "microlube" LOL

I'll be switching to Syn after 5000 mi. not sure which brand though, Mobil1 is coing out with different stuff lately.
I was getting between 9 - 10L/100km in the Altima in mixed driving. When I switched to the synthetic, it went to about 7, so it was definately good for me. I may switch to synthetic at about 13 - 15,000 kms in my Yaris, but I had 4 free oil changes from my dealer, and I've only used one so I'll see if they can honor the free oil change and I'll pay the difference between the cost of the regular oil change and the synthetic.

Also, if the "Motor Silk" works well in the Altima, then I'm putting some in the Yaris. I was introduced to it through an industrial division of this company. They supply our lubricants for tube bending at work and are coming in this week for a trial of some product that is new to us. It was a corporate purchasing manager from an other company I worked for that told me about the industrial lubricants and all of their divisions swear by them now. I felt safe enough trying the automotive product in my car because he was so insistant that these products work very well.

As I said, I'll keep everyone up to date on how well the stuff works in my Altima.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:54 AM   #4
jcove

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcove
I was getting between 9 - 10L/100km in the Altima in mixed driving. When I switched to the synthetic, it went to about 7, so it was definately good for me. I may switch to synthetic at about 13 - 15,000 kms in my Yaris, but I had 4 free oil changes from my dealer, and I've only used one so I'll see if they can honor the free oil change and I'll pay the difference between the cost of the regular oil change and the synthetic.

Also, if the "Motor Silk" works well in the Altima, then I'm putting some in the Yaris. I was introduced to it through an industrial division of this company. They supply our lubricants for tube bending at work and are coming in this week for a trial of some product that is new to us. It was a corporate purchasing manager from an other company I worked for that told me about the industrial lubricants and all of their divisions swear by them now. I felt safe enough trying the automotive product in my car because he was so insistant that these products work very well.

As I said, I'll keep everyone up to date on how well the stuff works in my Altima.
Sorry I was a little off in my calculations, the Altima is still only making 8L/100km, but still good for mixed driving I think. The car has really shown improvement, as far as smoothing out the engine and my gas mileage is definately better. My wife forgot to zero the counter when she filled up the first time, so I didn't get an accurate read, but I've done it this time, so will know in about a week or so.