Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2007, 11:46 PM   #1
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Thumbs up DIY: Painting Factory Brake Calipers

This totally easy, non-mechanical DIY is for painting your Toyota factory disc brake calipers. If you are cheap like me you don't want to splurge on fancy new calipers.

I purchased a very inexpensive kit made by Duplicolor at AutoZone for $15. The kit includes a can of caliper cleaner, a small paintbrush, masking tape, a paint stirring stick, and a can of high temperature (500%F) tolerant caliper paint. I chose red but I did see that yellow is available also.

Duplicolor also makes caliper spray paint if you like that option. I didn't want to take the time to mask off everything in my wheel well so I chose the paint by brush kit.

The paint coated very well. I used 3 coats for coverage and still have 3/4 of the paint can unused. What a difference!!! Now if I only had 4 wheel disc!

First, jack up your front end and remove your front wheels. Spray the caliper cleaner all over the area to be painted. Use a toothbrush to scrub the brake dust and dirt off the area to be painted. Wipe remaining residue off with a microfiber cloth.

Second, open the paint can and use the enclosed stirrer stick to mix the paint for about 2 minutes. Using the enclosed brush start painting. You really only need to paint the outside of the caliper but I chose to paint a little more.

Let the first paint coat dry for an hour. Then repaint a second coat. After 30 minutes repaint a third coat. Leave wheels off the car for the next 24 hours for paint to fully cure.

You are done. Bolt the wheels on and pull up next to a Z06 and stick your tongue out at them!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caliper001.jpg (132.8 KB, 569 views)
File Type: jpg caliper01.jpg (87.4 KB, 549 views)
File Type: jpg caliper02.jpg (92.6 KB, 547 views)
File Type: jpg caliper03.jpg (48.0 KB, 548 views)
File Type: jpg caliper04.jpg (90.2 KB, 549 views)
File Type: jpg caliper05.jpg (125.7 KB, 553 views)
File Type: jpg caliper06.jpg (117.8 KB, 553 views)
File Type: jpg caliper07.jpg (113.9 KB, 551 views)
File Type: jpg caliper08.jpg (153.4 KB, 550 views)
File Type: jpg caliper09.jpg (117.5 KB, 556 views)