Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-07-2008, 01:56 AM   #1
onizuka

Drives: Yaris Blk 5 Drs RS
ABS and "!" lights are ON again!

Last year I got the speed sensor problem fixed. Waited for parts for 2 weeks, and driven my car without ABS in snow for 2 weeks. And now a year later, the problem happens again after an afternoon of snowy driving.

I recall my dealer telling me how the speed sensor can easily be malfunction due to salt splash. Dammit, I hope it's on the other side, because I can't believe how the same parts fail twice in 2 years. I have to bring my car in on Monday.

My car is heading its 4th year, and I hope my warranty continues to cover this.
onizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:04 AM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
(!) is handbrake ... hmm... ??? let me try to spot if there's another ! somewhere... haha..
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:12 AM   #3
onizuka

Yes, ABS and handbrake lights are on. Meaning that your ABS is inactive.

Been there, done that last year. Speed sensor is defective. If I'm getting the same problem again due to cold/snowy weather, this proves that the car is poorly handling our Canadian winter.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #4
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by onizuka View Post

Been there, done that last year. Speed sensor is defective. If I'm getting the same problem again due to cold/snowy weather, this proves that the car is poorly handling our Canadian winter.
Actually, the car handles great in the snow, without the ABS. I put on about 20,000km last winter, with ABS light on...(not working). Having the ABS would have been nice, but the little car still has good balance, all it needs is a good set of snow tires. In fact, I think the Yaris's ABS system shines when the road is dry, in the snow, it tends to over react.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:03 AM   #5
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:

Momentarily had this a few months ago. I suspected the VSS, couldn't prove it. Handbrake definitely was not dragging, my car free-rolled without issue.

Just another nail in the coffin proving my theory that the Yaris is the furthest thing ever from the reliable Echo...

derickveliz2:

I was under the impression the hub had to be removed to access these wires. Yay or nay?
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
I was under the impression the hub had to be removed to access these wires. Yay or nay?
No they don't. I did someone's brakes on their Yaris and cleaned and packed the connectors as preventative maintenance.

You need a small screwdriver or something to help get the clip off if I'm not mistaken. It was a while ago now.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post

derickveliz2:

Yes and No... It helps to fix them if you remove the hub, but 1 side had 2 wires broken all ready like you see in the pictures above, the other side only one wire was broken. I did remove them both. no access to the wires from the inside of the hubs, it's where the wires go into the hub. I hope I didn't confuse you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
N

You need a small screwdriver or something to help get the clip off if I'm not mistaken.
You need to squish the little tongue on the lower part of the hub.

"NO MORE LIGHTS FOR ME!!! and I spend nothing but my time. Lets see when they will turn on again!

D.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:19 AM   #8
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
+1
Been there done that....
Last winter, I was without ABS for about 2 month, through the thick of it.
They initially replaced the sensor for one of the rear wheels ($450+), but after a week, the problem came back. It took me about a month to take the car back in and their senior mechanic spent 2hrs on it and decided he couldn't fix it and they'd have to order in a new wiring harness since the connections were corroded. After a week, they got the new Harness in, and that solved the problem. However, I was dinged another $250 for the harness. Total was over $700+ to fix the problem. However, since I sold the car several month ago, don't know if the problem would have re-occur.

If I was in the market for another Yaris, I'd pass on the ABS, unless Toyota Canada came to the rescue. But, Since the problem seems to happen shortly after the warranty expires, I doubt it.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #9
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i wouldnt pay for sh!t if its under 60k and 3 yrs

even if its a part they replaced....should have a warranty on it too

i had LOTS of stuff go wrong with my matrix xrs in the 3yrs and 87k i owned....and i never paid one penny for warranty items (that steering rack paid for the ecp, lol)
Old 12-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #10
Adriaan
In between cities

Drives: 2006 yaris ce
I also had the same problem, on mine last year winter. Make sure they change the harness with the sensor, and if you can see if you can watch. I made a big fuzz when they did mine so they let me watch. It was badly corroded. when he placed the new one he put contact cleaner on it and once installed put white grease on it also i believe. Since then no problem but it winter like every two to three weeks i try to wash under the car and wheel area. Not sure if it help to stop the problem, but it salt free till next wash.
Adriaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:36 AM   #11
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriaan View Post
Make sure they change the harness with the sensor, and if you can see if you can watch. It was badly corroded. when he placed the new one he put contact cleaner on it and once installed put white grease on it also i believe. Since then no problem but it winter like every two to three weeks i try to wash under the car and wheel area.
Interesting input. Thanks for your thoughts and advice here man.

I'll keep this in mind, but i dont think ill be able to make enough fuss myself to get them to let me watch, unfortunately. wish i could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
This is kinda concerning to read. Three people have had this same problem? Is there anything that can be done to prevent this problem from happening? Would that rust-proof undercoating help?
VERY concerning to read. Reminds of old VW bullshit w/ their electrical systems that frustrated the fuck out of their owners!

Quote:
actually, this happens to me for the second time now
seems to come back when winter starts to pound snow and when temperature is dropping
definitely a defect from Toyota. Only had my car for 3 years with 71k
Twice over here now. First Feb 08. Now again in Dec 08. Just for reference points, I dive an 2007 Yaris Hatchback. Bought it back in May 06.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse1000 View Post
it sucks, but as long as I know that the ABS doesn't work when the light is on, I'm okay, becasue I don't expect it to kick in....my car is long past warranty, so there's no way I'm paying money to fix it....I like driving without ABS in the winter anyway
Once my car goes out of warranty this coming May 09, if this ABS issue crap happens again next winter, ill just leave it too. Im not shelling out $400-500 to get the f'n ABS working again on my vehicle, not while im still making monthly payments anyways. I dont feel the need to have working ABS that badly. Once my car is paid off and im not shelling out money each month for it, ya, ill prolly pay then to fix it.

Quote:
this should be something of safety concern and perhaps a recall should be made
when most of us upgrade to ABS package, we expect it to last and come to use
jesse, I can see that your car is 2007, how can you past your warranty this quick?
Agreed. Lets get a bloody recall on this issue so they can fix it (free of charge) and get it permanently dealt with properly.

Quote:
just took my car to my dealer, last winter (jan 2008), I had my left rear sensor replaced. Now this winter, my right side are done. As usual, parts are backorders, have to wait for 1-2 weeks just like last time. Luckily my ECP extended warranty is paying for it.

To whomever doing their sensor, push them to do it both side. IF it's the same hardness and they are installed at the same time, it's the matter of time that both get corroded around the same time.
I didnt ask and they didnt tell me specifically which sensor went.

And all i know from last time, per my notes which i reviewed, was that "Need an ABS speed sensor for back breaks."

So it had to do w/ my back sensors, but dont know if it was both L and R or just one or the other.

Huh.

Anyways, GREAT THREAD, so glad to have found it!

Jem
Old 12-14-2008, 10:19 AM   #12
onizuka

Thank you for your input.

I wonder if we could start a survey/petition for a recall. If enough people getting the same problem, they should not hide this and make it an official recall.

JEM: your service invoice should indicate which side of sensor they replaced. Have a close look on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem_hadar View Post
Interesting input. Thanks for your thoughts and advice here man.

I'll keep this in mind, but i dont think ill be able to make enough fuss myself to get them to let me watch, unfortunately. wish i could.

VERY concerning to read. Reminds of old VW bullshit w/ their electrical systems that frustrated the fuck out of their owners!

Twice over here now. First Feb 08. Now again in Dec 08. Just for reference points, I dive an 2007 Yaris Hatchback. Bought it back in May 06.

Once my car goes out of warranty this coming May 09, if this ABS issue crap happens again next winter, ill just leave it too. Im not shelling out $400-500 to get the f'n ABS working again on my vehicle, not while im still making monthly payments anyways. I dont feel the need to have working ABS that badly. Once my car is paid off and im not shelling out money each month for it, ya, ill prolly pay then to fix it.

Agreed. Lets get a bloody recall on this issue so they can fix it (free of charge) and get it permanently dealt with properly.

I didnt ask and they didnt tell me specifically which sensor went.

And all i know from last time, per my notes which i reviewed, was that "Need an ABS speed sensor for back breaks."

So it had to do w/ my back sensors, but dont know if it was both L and R or just one or the other.

Huh.

Anyways, GREAT THREAD, so glad to have found it!

Jem
Old 12-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #13
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
JEM: your service invoice should indicate which side of sensor they replaced. Have a close look on that.
Ill hafta look to see if i can find the invoice still (that could be a challenge, lol).

should have it around somewhere. i keep them of course. just have no idea where it ended up almost a year ago.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:20 PM   #14
jgag123

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris sedan
Quote:

I wonder if we could start a survey/petition for a recall. If enough people getting the same problem, they should not hide this and make it an official recall.

I agree, it should be big time recall, or we have to replace does stupid sensors every winter.
jgag123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #15
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
This is kinda concerning to read. Three people have had this same problem? Is there anything that can be done to prevent this problem from happening? Would that rust-proof undercoating help?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:05 PM   #16
onizuka

actually, this happens to me for the second time now
seems to come back when winter starts to pound snow and when temperature is dropping
definitely a defect from Toyota. Only had my car for 3 years with 71k
Old 12-07-2008, 03:30 PM   #17
jesse1000

Drives: White 2007 Yaris 3DR Hatch
this happened to me last year as well...only during the winter....it sucks, but as long as I know that the ABS doesn't work when the light is on, I'm okay, becasue I don't expect it to kick in....my car is long past warranty, so there's no way I'm paying money to fix it....I like driving without ABS in the winter anyway
jesse1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:31 PM   #18
onizuka

this should be something of safety concern and perhaps a recall should be made
when most of us upgrade to ABS package, we expect it to last and come to use
jesse, I can see that your car is 2007, how can you past your warranty this quick?