Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-05-2017, 10:26 PM   #19
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
I went on a 3,000 mile roadtrip last summer in mine from North Carolina to California stretched the trip out over 7 days.... so about 400-500 miles a day. My back KILLED me the entire time. I took lots of breaks and ended up getting a memory foam seat cushion which helped with the numb butt issue but otherwise lots of middle and lower back pain. these are definitely horrible economy seats not meant for long trips.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:06 AM   #20
Yaris874

Drives: 07 yaris hatchback
The best thing to do switch seat to the vw gti seat fit perfect wayyyy much better go further back the the yaris plus have high adjustment

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Yaris874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:10 PM   #21
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I've made multiple 4 hour trips in my Yaris over the last 9 years and can't say I experienced any more discomfort than in any other car I've taken long trips in, but everyone's body is different.

I'm thinking the best thing to do is replace with a nice set of Sparco seats. Fashion and function!

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:52 PM   #22
heeroyuy01195
Post count means nothing.

Drives: AW11, NCP91, Old Motorcycles
Can't say I've ever done a 3000 mile road trip but on 4 hour trips I was good. Anything more than that and I started to get uncomfortable but tolerable. I don't think these cars were really made for one shot long distances. Seems more in line with city driving and running errands all day where you get in and out of the care periodically.
heeroyuy01195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #23
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeroyuy01195 View Post
Can't say I've ever done a 3000 mile road trip but on 4 hour trips I was good. Anything more than that and I started to get uncomfortable but tolerable. I don't think these cars were really made for one shot long distances. Seems more in line with city driving and running errands all day where you get in and out of the care periodically.
No doubt, but there are a couple regular forum members that have made some serious road trips in these cars and I don't recall them mentioning discomfort. If memory serves, they commented on how comfortable the cars were over the trips. As I said before, I think it depends on the individual. Different shapes/sizes, etc.

My sister is a stylist and I can't get comfortable in the washing chairs, while my better half is super comfy. I don't think it's a one size fits all thing with any car seat.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:40 PM   #24
Type-Y

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch
I've had my 2007 Yaris hatch for a little over 2 years and find it to be comfortable (I'm 5' 9").
Type-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:19 AM   #25
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
The seats feel just about right for me. I've done a one-shot 1,200 mile trip in them, twice, and didn't feel bad at all. I'm 6' and 150lb.
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:57 PM   #26
Pizzaboyracer

Drives: 07 liftbsck
I drove cross country twice this year ,I'm 6 ft and I'll be getting new seats for the next trip but other then that car is great only spent 189 bucks on gas from Ohio to Oregon

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Pizzaboyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #27
Pizzaboyracer

So if you do drive a lot put your spare gas money in to your seats your butt will thank you . My friend did the same trip in his v6 mini van and won't tell me what he spent after I told him my gas numbers .he still thinks I'm lieing or mistaken lol

Old 08-13-2017, 03:11 PM   #28
scylla

Drives: 2015 Yaris L
Having cruise control makes all the difference with comfort on long Yaris runs. I shift my seating position a lot. Install cruise if you don't have it.
scylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #29
Pizzaboyracer

I'm working on it now

Old 08-13-2017, 03:51 PM   #30
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Yaris front seat comfort lumbar curve

Pushing the butt back into them occasionally, to keep the lumbar curve they have engaged, may help. (This also affects how much the seat supports the legs.) Don't assume seat back angle and fore-aft adjustment should be what you are used to in prior vehicles.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:52 AM   #31
07liftback

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAR1S View Post
I went on a 3,000 mile roadtrip last summer in mine from North Carolina to California stretched the trip out over 7 days.... so about 400-500 miles a day. My back KILLED me the entire time. I took lots of breaks and ended up getting a memory foam seat cushion which helped with the numb butt issue but otherwise lots of middle and lower back pain. these are definitely horrible economy seats not meant for long trips.
I actually bought one of those lower lumbar support cushions just because these seats were so bad! There is absolutely no lumbar support compared to the civic I used to own. I find that on long trips, the back of my right foot heel gets super sore and I'll need to reposition my foot constantly just so I can cope with the pain. The gas pedal is positioned at quite a steep angle and I never had this issue with my old civic.

I looked into replacing these seats but then I'd be losing the airbag feature. Don't think it'll be worth the risk if I get T-boned in the future.
07liftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:21 AM   #32
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Toyota Yaris Tercel seat comfort tips recumbent foam velcro contact cement

Not enough seat support under the forward portion of the right leg, particularly w/o cruise control on trips, requires more muscles tensed up to hold a throttle position...w/ consequent body aches from foot to back. On my 89 Tercel, I put some washers under the front seat mount feet. Also placed a small folded towel under the right leg.

For seat pads of rigid recumbent bike seats, I cut and assemble 1/2 inch blue Walmart camp pad for all sorts of wedges, lumbar curves, full covers, headrests and area thickness adders. Cut w/ long sharp thin "bread knife" (?) or scissors. Dap Weldwood Contact Cement to assemble and add such as 3/4" not-stick-backed Walmart Velcro. (Can make multi-layer shapes w/ ramp edges, but simple stepped edges aren't felt.) My body doesn't like some plastics, but I have no reaction whatsoever to this stuff...sorta warm cozy feel, actually. And it imprints at the pressure points...maybe something like "memory foam?"

Last edited by dogsridewith; 08-26-2017 at 09:36 AM.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:49 PM   #33
invalid username

Drives: 2015 Yaris
I spend a lot of time trying to adjust my seat to be comfortable, too. I've wondered if the seats were designed to be uncomfortable on purpose: to make people move up to the next model. I love the gas mileage, though.
invalid username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:50 PM   #34
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by invalid username View Post
I spend a lot of time trying to adjust my seat to be comfortable, too. I've wondered if the seats were designed to be uncomfortable on purpose: to make people move up to the next model. I love the gas mileage, though.
The SE version seats are fine - no complaints here. Very comfortable and snug.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:58 PM   #35
invalid username

Drives: 2015 Yaris
I have the SE, too. Sometimes, my Mom drives it, and she doesn't like the seat either.

I did a Lot of research on cars before purchasing this one. I feel that the positives of the car outweigh the seats: No GDI, No CVT tranny, proven engine/tranny combo, 4-wheel disc brakes (SE), good air conditioner, and good gas mileage. I, also, have a 1991 Geo Metro (auto tranny) that gets good gas mileage, but the Yaris gets, actually, a little better mileage and has more power.

Last edited by invalid username; 08-28-2017 at 10:35 PM.
invalid username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:08 PM   #36
AtoyotA

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan
Seats are MURDER

Love my 07 sedan but front seats start killin us after an hour or so of travel. Previously had a 2000 echo it too had firm basic seats that would never wear out and we could go two or three hours no prob. anyone tried the post 2012 seats? Wondering if theyll work with the seat belt and airbag sensors.
AtoyotA is offline   Reply With Quote