Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-24-2020, 08:53 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
At it again...Another Wheel Restoration

I've got to get control of myself. I picked up another set of Accent wheels with virtually new rubber. These wheels are in better shape than the set I just restored were in when I got them.

I have taken some of the advice offered by others. I plan to paint these a different color. I am heavily leaning toward black but not sure if I ought to go gloss black or satin; solid color or metallic. The other option is gunmetal grey, but it's less likely than the blacks.

The other decision I have to make now is if I will go full 2K paints or rattle can these ones. I know that I can get an excellent finish with acrylic enamel paint and clear coat spray cans. It would be a lot easier and much less work. The wheels would obviously never see winter and they will only be on the car part time. I've read many reviews of the Duplicolor products (many of which I've used) and apparently the wheel paint is very durable. I am however considering a single stage urethane - apparently the toughest finish, next to powder coat, I assume, and even tougher than basecoat/clearcoat.

Anyway, feel free to weigh in about color and finish (satin or gloss) if you feel so inclined.

Here are the new wheels:

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:43 PM   #2
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Well, you know what I think about black wheels; they just seem to disappear into the tyres (unless they have a silver rim) and do very little for most cars... unless you're going for the murdered out look.

Silver cars with dark bronze wheels look quite sexy IMHO.

How about this colour in matte or satin finish, perhaps with silver or black centre cap and lugs:

Last edited by kimona; 04-24-2020 at 11:08 PM.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:36 PM   #3
06YarisRS

I must confess, Kimona, that that is a beautiful color. I am trying to envision that color against the Silver Streak Mica.

Edit: I found this... I hope I haven't violated any copyright by posting.

Bronze on silver

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 04-24-2020 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 01:07 AM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Out of your color choices, I'd go gunmetal. Black wheels just don't look good to me.

Also, make sure you wear a respirator when using 2k paints.

And as a left field suggestion, what about a dark blue color?

Here's a silver S2000 with mag blue Volk CE28.

Silver G35.

Silver M3.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:51 PM   #5
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Out of your color choices, I'd go gunmetal. Black wheels just don't look good to me.

Also, make sure you wear a respirator when using 2k paints.

And as a left field suggestion, what about a dark blue color?
Yeah, still in the decision phase. I'm working on prepping the wheels now. And, yes, I have 3 NIOSH approved respirator 1/2 face masks. I cover up well and use latex gloves when spraying paints (isocyanates or not).

Thinking more about it, these wheels have very slender spokes and there is a lot of silver color behind my wheels - calipers, rotors etc. I think that in this situation, black might actually look good. The bronze and gunmetal are still contenders though.

Old 04-25-2020, 02:13 PM   #6
06YarisRS

UPDATED with new pics

Curb Rash Galore.

Honestly, I don't know how people curb their wheels so much! How do some people get their driver's license in the first place???

I hadn't noticed the extent of the curb rash when I bought the wheels. They were in a poorly-lit garage. Fortunately most of the rash was minor; not too deep.

I'll update with pics as I go.

Obviously, having the beads built up through aluminum welding and machining them down would be the best approach, but that's not in my budget for these wheels.

This, I'll call "Wheel 1". It had the worst curb rash. The basic process is to first sand to see how much rash can be removed from the primer, paint and clear coat. Then filing gets the rough shape back. The aluminum tends to squish out in all directions with impact and causes high spots on the bead and wheel lip that need to be filed down before filling. In the case of "wheel 1", a lot of aluminum was left on a curb somewhere, so it will need to be built out 1/16" - 1/8" to restore the arc of the wheel.

I've done lots of reading and JB Weld when primed, painted and clear coated can quite easily stand up to a tire changing machine.

Wheel 1

Wheel 2:

This may require another small thin application of JB Weld. BTW, this was sanded and filed down prior to applying the JB Weld, just no pic.

Other wheels with curb rash

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 04-26-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:23 PM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Satin
Old 04-25-2020, 07:45 PM   #8
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
I vote gunmetal grey. But not sure why I get a vote, it's your car.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:07 PM   #9
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
Satin
Thanks! If I don't go for satin in the end, Barber, know that I ended up doing this because it was you, I believe, that suggested a different color. So, your advice was heard and taken!

Old 04-25-2020, 08:11 PM   #10
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
I vote gunmetal grey. But not sure why I get a vote, it's your car.
Thanks! Haha, yeah, since I'm a wee bit indecisive by nature, I hoped for input. I do value peoples' opinions, but clearly will have to make my own decision. Maybe I'll surprise everyone with something more radical. Yeah....probably not.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:24 PM   #11
Steve35

Drives: 2008 HB
I like black. This is my "other" car.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MSMBackbone.jpg (158.8 KB, 153 views)
Steve35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:43 PM   #12
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve35 View Post
I like black. This is my "other" car.

Steve
OOh, that's nice! Super nice turbo Miata. That is an intercooler in there, right? The black does really go well with the silver/grey! Haha, just noticed the car in the background. Also silver, with black wheels. This helps. Can't quite tell from the pic, but are yours gloss or satin finish?

Old 04-28-2020, 06:52 PM   #13
06YarisRS

A color has been chosen. The wheels have been painted and are curing now. The 'reveal' will be in about 3 - 4 days.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:00 AM   #14
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Dang, JB weld works really well for covering that curb rash. I would have never thought of that.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:07 PM   #15
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
Dang, JB weld works really well for covering that curb rash. I would have never thought of that.
Yeah, it's pretty tough stuff. It should stand up to a tire changing machine.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:14 PM   #16
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
GOLD SPOKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:27 PM   #17
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
GOLD SPOKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, close! Sort of. They are an alloy...of copper, with tin. Standby for pics...

Old 04-29-2020, 07:35 PM   #18
06YarisRS

New Colored Wheels...

I tried to approximate what Kimona suggested. They came out darker than I had hope for. I put on the minimum number of coats to cover and it ended up darkening them down. Also, not sure that this style of wheel lends itself well to this color. It may take me some time to fall in love with them, if ever. I will say that I do like the contrast of the darker wheel and the center cap and lug nuts. Maybe I'll pick up a set of black lug nuts and black Toyota (aftermarket) center caps. I do believe they're available on ebay.

I cheaped out on the labour and paint quality on this job. I just used Duplicolor acrylic enamel with no clear coat. It's supposed to be quite durable. I simply didn't feel like going to the hassle of using 2K products this time. And, these will only be on the car on 'special occasions'.

Feel free to share opinions.

And, on the car...

Close Ups...

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 04-29-2020 at 08:18 PM.