Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-07-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Questionable funk from the air vents

Okay, so my deal is that my vents have been shooting this stale, 3-week-old tortilla-chip smell everytime I start the car with the A/C on. It's only for a few seconds, then it either goes away or I get used to it. This is has been going on since the lovely new-car smell faded away at 4,000 miles. Since then, I've been dealing with this everyday and it's really starting to get on my nerves. I only have about 7,700 miles on it, so I'd say it's way too early for my car to stink itself up. Toyota dealer found nothing wrong with the A/C, filter and fan, and even sprayed air-freshener for free, which fades away in minutes. So what's really wrong with it? How do it fix it for good? Thanks.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:09 PM   #2
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Had the same problem. Still have it. And, I expect it will be there forever.
Get used to it, I don't think it's going anywhere.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:11 AM   #3
k2vitz

Drives: Vitz 2006
I had the same problem. As uasual, the dealership could not find out whats the problem. I am using a hanging type car freshener to keep me in peace.
k2vitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:27 AM   #4
SilverBack
Joey

Not ready to get used to smelling ass on the start-up

Found this to fix the problem. ..Tomorrow I'll find out if it works

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:12 AM   #5
drbilal

Drives: BELTA SEDAN
I have a similar problem. Randomly when I start the AC i get a stale, dusty smell that comes from the vents for a few seconds then stops. Doesnt happen every time but is annoying.

Ill try the tip u posted above, thanks.
drbilal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:31 AM   #6
Mordarvia

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
I don't have any Funk but when I accelerate the odd time its almost like I smell electrical but the car is getting checked out on Monday.
Mordarvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by k r a y z e e . j o j o View Post
Okay, so my deal is that my vents have been shooting this stale, 3-week-old tortilla-chip smell everytime I start the car with the A/C on. It's only for a few seconds, then it either goes away or I get used to it. This is has been going on since the lovely new-car smell faded away at 4,000 miles. Since then, I've been dealing with this everyday and it's really starting to get on my nerves. I only have about 7,700 miles on it, so I'd say it's way too early for my car to stink itself up. Toyota dealer found nothing wrong with the A/C, filter and fan, and even sprayed air-freshener for free, which fades away in minutes. So what's really wrong with it? How do it fix it for good? Thanks.
Check the TSB on HVAC evaporator drain blockage:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9753

When the drain tube is plugged up the condensate stays in and gets really funky after a while. It happened on my Xterra and I unplugged it from below by sticking a piece of flexible plastic up the evaporator drain tube. When I pulled the plastic rod out, about a gallon of putrid water came gushing out all over me. I nearly lost my lunch...
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:35 PM   #8
SilverBack
Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post

When the drain tube is plugged up the condensate stays in and gets really funky after a while. It happened on my Xterra and I unplugged it from below by sticking a piece of flexible plastic up the evaporator drain tube. When I pulled the plastic rod out, about a gallon of putrid water came gushing out all over me. I nearly lost my lunch...
I'll have a look at it today. Thanks for the much needed info

Quick question: Convinced this isn't a one-time thing, so how often do I need to do this?

Old 11-08-2008, 01:43 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
I'll have a look at it today. Thanks for the much needed info

Quick question: Convinced this isn't a one-time thing, so how often do I need to do this?
The TSB mentions a cowl change that prevents stuff from getting in and plugging it up. You may want to check with you local service department to see if your car is affected by this TSB.

Otherwise, if you find that the tube is indeed plugged, you will notice what was plugging it up as it comes out (in my case it was the long thin flowery things that come off of my birch trees in the spring). By keeping my Xterra away from the birches when they are in bloom, I have not had the issue recur.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post

Some of best flexible plastic to use is weed wacker string. It is great for clearing the lines.

Here are a few more hints once you make sure the line is clear.....

With the car off spray lysol (not air freshener but a germ killer that attacks / prevents mold) into all the vents and into the cabin filter slot. Now start the car with the Air condioning on and set it to recirculate for about 5 minutes and this will coat the entire system with lysol...... now switch the AC off and set the knob to fresh air intake and turn on the heat for 5 minutes.

I would not wait in the car when doing this..... the smell will go away pretty fast.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:13 PM   #11
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Dear lord. Some of the ideas on here...

A TSB has been put out by Toyota on this issue. This is a warranty item fixed by the dealer.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:11 PM   #12
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
Try removing the air conditioning air filter for a few days and see if that helps.
TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:22 AM   #13
SilverBack
Joey

Okay, found a little bit of semi-solid decaying leaf matter in my drain that smells like total shit. Looks like I've been carrying mulch around with me everywhere I go. Think I'll watch where I park from now on, and lay-off the A/C a little. Spraying Lysol in the vents once a week would be an added option. Thanks everybody for your advice

Old 11-09-2008, 03:44 PM   #14
captainm27

Drives: 2008 Sedan A/T Silver
Quote:
Okay, found a little bit of semi-solid decaying leaf matter in my drain that smells like total shit. Looks like I've been carrying mulch around with me everywhere I go. Think I'll watch where I park from now on, and lay-off the A/C a little. Spraying Lysol in the vents once a week would be an added option. Thanks everybody for your advice
Can you post a pic to see where exactly you are looking at? Thanks!
captainm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:41 AM   #15
SilverBack
Joey

Sorry can't put up a pic. Camera's dead, but feel free to take a look at yours and take a pic for everyone else here who also has this problem. Think they would appreciate it.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #16
mmxcix

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
its also due to your cabin air filter, get it changed and the smell will go away.
That would be nice, mine did not come with any cabin air filter at all.
mmxcix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:05 PM   #17
mmxcix

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleong View Post
Try removing the air conditioning air filter for a few days and see if that helps.
Sorry, Toyota or the dealership forgot to install a cabin air filter on mine. They must be cutting corners or QC#666 was taking a break and it missed mine in the production line.

Last edited by mmxcix; 11-30-2008 at 11:09 PM.
mmxcix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:48 PM   #18
SilverBack
Joey

Why not just install one yourself?