Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
carolinablue

Drives: 2012
For the price of a Prius...

For the price of a Prius you can buy a Yaris and enough gas to drive about 108,500 mi figuring $3.50 a gallon and 38 mpg if you can buy a Prius for $24,000 and a Yaris for $14,000.
Based on an approximate difference in mpg of 10mpg, it would take around 400,000 miles of driving to recapture the difference in purchase price of the Prius by gas savings.
carolinablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
But that's only if your looking at just MPG. The Prius is much more of a car than the Yaris is.....more room, more features, more compliant ride, etc., etc. And the Prius V takes the practicality thing to a whole new level.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
TPA5
Wait, what?

Drives: NULL
The Prius' interior isn't as nice as I thought it would be, especially comparing it to the new Yaris. The gap is close. The Prius however would make more sense for a family than a Yaris. Really it boils down to finding a balance between budget/needs/wants, and finding the car that fits.
TPA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
goliath1812

Drives: 2010 Prius, 2007 Yaris Sedan
Not sure where you are, but my local dealership has the Prius c for $19000, and the lowest Yaris I've seen is between 15 and 16000. With the additional features of the Prius over the Yaris, it doesn't sound like a bad deal at all.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:29 AM   #5
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
You have just explained why there are so many different kinds of vehicles offered for sale. Everyone has different expectations of what they want in a car. The Yaris and the Prius each appeal to a different kind of person.

I'm a Yaris person... so I go for cheap basic no frills frugal practical economical transportation. So for me the premium on the cost of a Prius would only be a waste of my money.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:31 AM   #6
mr9865
$10.25/hr frying chicken

Drives: 2012 Yaris L
Quote:
Originally Posted by goliath1812 View Post
Not sure where you are, but my local dealership has the Prius c for $19000, and the lowest Yaris I've seen is between 15 and 16000. With the additional features of the Prius over the Yaris, it doesn't sound like a bad deal at all.
Not typical but i got mine for 14000 out the door
Old 05-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
But that's only if your looking at just MPG. The Prius is much more of a car than the Yaris is.....more room, more features, more compliant ride, etc., etc. And the Prius V takes the practicality thing to a whole new level.
My above comment was based on the regular Prius/Prius V to the C. The difference may tighten up when comparing the Yaris and the C. But it's apples to oranges when comparing the Yaris to the regular Prius. I test drove both the Yaris and Pruis several times before deciding on the Yaris. The Pruis was a vastly superior car. In the end, it came down to writing a check for the Yaris or financing some of the Prius. However, if I were buying a car right now, there would be a white Pruis V in my garage.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I'm a Yaris person... so I go for cheap basic no frills frugal practical economical transportation. So for me the premium on the cost of a Prius would only be a waste of my money.
You and me both. I've ridden in the Prius and was less than impressed. Too much 'Star Trek' shit in it and while it may be more comfortable to drive I found it boring and lacking any potential for fun. Uninspiring, to say the least.

Plus there's that alwful stigma of driving a Prius, from that smug factor made fun of on South Park to the constant badgering on Top Gear (the good one, not the shitty US version!).

Being a Jeep owner I constantly see the self-righteousness of Prius owners on a regular basis, too bad they are clueless as to how much damage their cars (mainly the batteries) have/will do to the environment in the long run.

Can ya tell I'm not a fan?!?
Old 05-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Plus there's that alwful stigma of driving a Prius...
Where I live, all the liberal females drive Priuses. Wouldn't be caught dead in one.

"Feels like I'm riding in a vagina."

--Mark Wahlberg, in "The other Guys"
Old 05-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
Billiam

So be it.....but I'd gladly drive a "vagina". I couldn't possibly care any less about what others think of me based on what I drive. If I did, I certainly would not be driving a Yaris.

Last edited by Billiam; 05-26-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #11
tooter
play every day

I know...while the Yaris is my wife's car and I get the fun of pimping it out... it's not accepted as a female liberal car here because it's not "green" enough. ;)
Old 05-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Ugh...my dad wants to get a Prius. He has more than enough money to buy whatever car he wants(in cash) and is all about the freaking Prius. I hope he changes his mind!!!

I always pictured my dad retiring with a nice Bentley or some Italian sports-car, I can't picture him rolling in a Prius, it's like a slap in the face.

If you'll excuse me I'm going to work on my Prius voodoo-doll...I need every bit of help I can get to change his mind. ;)

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #13
Volcano
Experienced Yaris Owner

Drives: Yaris 2013 1.33 Ltr
In my view the Prius is a totally useless piece of crap.
The only purpose it does serve in fact is making the
owners feeling good about driving one.

Whenever I am in the tree hugging mood I consequently
ride the bicycle rather than driving any car. Basta.

(Btw I did the 30000 km with my 3 Cyl Yaris with an average of
4.8 ltrs per 100 km.)
Volcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
While I would never buy a Pruis on gas mileage alone, if you compare it to most midsize cars, it compares pretty well. Especially considering most midsize cars are sold as 4 cylinder slushboxes.

You simply cannot compare it to the Yaris. The Prius is superior in every way, from interior quality to audio quality, features, gas mileage of course, etc.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #15
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
While I would never buy a Pruis on gas mileage alone, if you compare it to most midsize cars, it compares pretty well. Especially considering most midsize cars are sold as 4 cylinder slushboxes.

You simply cannot compare it to the Yaris. The Prius is superior in every way, from interior quality to audio quality, features, gas mileage of course, etc.

I'll smash on a shitty Prius in my yaris...so it's not superior in EVERY way.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #16
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Not that it's a big deal - but I hardly think 38mpg is the average. I've had mine since 2008 and my lifetime average is 34mpg. People getting more than that are far fewer than those getting the manufacturer rated values or lower.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #17
tooter
play every day

That sounds reasonably true...
Our average so far has been a steady 35+ for a combination of city stop and go traffic, steady rural driving below 50mph, but no 5th gear freeway driving.

I checked some Prius postings of gas mileage and their realistic average looks to be 50 mpg.

So a yaris does 11.4 cents a mile... while a Prius does 8 cents a mile for an average savings of 3.4 cents a mile.

So 100,000 Prius miles saves you $3,400 over 100,000 Yaris miles... which, only for me, is not close to justifying the difference in cost.

Not to mention the replacement cost of a battery which is about $3,000 from Toyota with an advertized life of about 150,000 miles.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #18
12 yaris

Drives: '12 Yaris LE Lagoon Blue Mica
Love My Yaris,Basic transportation,A/C,A.T.,MPG is good enough for me.
12 yaris is offline   Reply With Quote