Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-01-2021, 09:48 PM   #1
Myles

Drives: 07 Yaris hatchback
rear end howl. sounds like a bad bearing, but it isn't

I'm trying to diagnose an issue that I have been dealing with for a while now. I drive an 07 Yaris which emits a loud howling noise from the left rear tire. This noise becomes noticeable around 40 mph, and gets louder as the vehicle speed increases. When I turn the wheel to the right, the noise will go away, but when I turn it to the left it becomes worse. I suspected the bearings were bad, so I put new ones in, but that did not lead to any improvements. I replaced the tires, coil springs and shocks, but still no luck. I'm now suspecting an alignment issue, but I have read that these cars can only be adjusted with shims. I have the printout from my most recent alignment which was done when the noise was still a problem. The left rear lists -1 camber and .11 toe. the right is -.8 camber and .2 for the toe. does this seem far enough out of spec that it would cause this type of problem? I'm at a loss. any help would be appreciated.
Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:02 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
How are the front tires and the bearings in the front of the car? The fact that it makes noise when you turn the wheels Might indicate that

Good luck and tell us what happens!
Old 10-25-2021, 08:43 AM   #3
FutureMike
I've made a post!

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
I'm trying to diagnose an issue that I have been dealing with for a while now. I drive an 07 Yaris which emits a loud howling noise from the left rear tire. This noise becomes noticeable around 40 mph, and gets louder as the vehicle speed increases.
I am currently experiencing a grinding howl from my back tire(s) axel, or something. Happens when I get up to about 35mph and gets louder the faster I go. Just curious if you have managed to find the source of yours, so that I can avoid spending money I can't really afford, trying to chase it down, myself??

Thanks, in advance, for any help/advice!
FutureMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 05:19 AM   #4
Yaris-Chick

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 5 Dr HB
Have you check the metal heat shield just above the muffler? Mine had a grinding howling sound and the screws rusted right out making the heat shield loose. I removed the heat shield completely and no more sound.
Yaris-Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:04 PM   #5
IndestructibleYaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
My rims are dented so bad or so out of round that they make noise
IndestructibleYaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment, noise, rear end, tire