Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #73
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiro View Post
So... from what I found and posted, NOT trying to get flamed on here....

What do you guys think of those? I mean part numbers are not the same as what was posted above earlier in the thread. So it makes me wonder how this guy somehow has these already and a low price, I think.
they could have changed the numbers or he may use his own part #'s perhaps? and yeah, if you notice, most parts sell for much less than MSRP. I posted MSRP prices, so seeing less is normal :)
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:50 AM   #74
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
I didn't read through this whole thread but remembered some of you are waiting for these HTS shocks so I talked to Kenji from Tokico who was at the Spocom booth with a set of these on display. He said they are now in stock for the Yaris and retail "around $900 for the set" but he indicated that "market/street price" should be lower.

They are the same dimensions, and stroke as the stock struts with the only difference being the stiffer dampening (and adjustment).

hope that helps...
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:07 AM   #75
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Z33 View Post
I didn't read through this whole thread but remembered some of you are waiting for these HTS shocks so I talked to Kenji from Tokico who was at the Spocom booth with a set of these on display. He said they are now in stock for the Yaris and retail "around $900 for the set" but he indicated that "market/street price" should be lower.

They are the same dimensions, and stroke as the stock struts with the only difference being the stiffer dampening (and adjustment).

hope that helps...
Thanks!
Old 06-15-2009, 09:44 AM   #76
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
What happens if you take lets say softer springs, like stock, or NF210's and put them on stiff struts/shocks? How would the ride feel then? Wouldn't the ride feel firm just soft to harsh bumps? I would assume that is the case, and that firm springs would only jolt the wheel down harder/keep it from compressing and that causes harsh impacts.

Please someone correct me if Im wrong.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:19 PM   #77
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiro View Post
What happens if you take lets say softer springs, like stock, or NF210's and put them on stiff struts/shocks? How would the ride feel then? Wouldn't the ride feel firm just soft to harsh bumps? I would assume that is the case, and that firm springs would only jolt the wheel down harder/keep it from compressing and that causes harsh impacts.

Please someone correct me if Im wrong.
well, guys that autox in stock class cant change springs, but they change shocks all the time. They use really stiff shocks, and it makes the car corner flatter. I think the stiff valving resists the movement better (similar to a spring, but not really?) The ride would be more firm than it was stock (or with DF210s) if you used the HTS on full settings for sure, but you can change that really quick. And its not like running really stiff springs, its much more gentle. Shocks improve handling way more than springs do, but springs are more popular bc you LOOK more racey.

uh, did that help? lol
Old 06-15-2009, 10:51 PM   #78
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kngrsll View Post
well, guys that autox in stock class cant change springs, but they change shocks all the time. They use really stiff shocks, and it makes the car corner flatter. I think the stiff valving resists the movement better (similar to a spring, but not really?) The ride would be more firm than it was stock (or with DF210s) if you used the HTS on full settings for sure, but you can change that really quick. And its not like running really stiff springs, its much more gentle. Shocks improve handling way more than springs do, but springs are more popular bc you LOOK more racey.

uh, did that help? lol
A little yes. But basically Im asking as follows:

If I want a soft ride, that corners flat like the TRD springs I have, but like I said a soft ride, that wont jolt me like these TRD springs do now, should I get NF's and then get shocks like the tokico blues? Or would the shocks be too much for the springs?

Im asking because I test drove a Mercedes C300 the other day, and it was awesome. It took bad bumps really nicely, but it really sticked to the ground/had a firm feeling, especially around corners, and it got my thinking that maybe softer springs, but firmer shocks is the way to go for me since I live in pothole central.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #79
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Just ordered a set of these from Garm. I guess they are on sale. Merry christmas to me
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #80
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

awesome shocks...
Old 12-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #81
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
Lafiro , there are several ways to attack your dilema . 1. Get a coilover system that has adjustable height and dampening . Set the height to the height that you have with the TRD's then set the dampening to soft . 2. Change wheel tire combination . The smaller the sidewall number , the more harsh the ride . Larger wheels means you have accomodate by using a lower sidewall number . 3. Get adjustable (dampening) shocks . The TRD springs will work fine .

I have 2 Yari LB's . One ( white , 2007 ) has TRD shocks with Tein springs . The other (blue , 2009 ) has TRD shocks and springs . The white Yaris has 195/55/15 as tires and the blue has 185/60/15 for tires . When I go on a long trip I take the blue , but when I go to the track I take the white . The blue is noticeably softer .

Also keep in mind the C300 is much heavier and has a longer wheelbase which both aid in dampening .

I think if you go with an adjustable shock in conjunction with the TRD springs and use stock tire size you will be fine . If you still want softer just switch the TRD's for the stock springs .
Hope this helps......
Old 12-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #82
PHXDEMON

Quote:
awesome shocks...
What size are your tires? You don't rub at all on the front IIRC/
Old 12-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #83
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXDEMON View Post
What size are your tires? You don't rub at all on the front IIRC/
195/55/15 dunlop star specs. when i had the HTS's, DF210's, and rear sway bar, i didnt rub. i just used a dremel on the upper strut holes to help gain some more camber (-2.5* from -1.8) and now i have a slight rub, so ill have to figure that out, but its only when i really jerk the wheel hard and fast.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #84
PHXDEMON

Quote:
195/55/15 dunlop star specs. when i had the HTS's, DF210's, and rear sway bar, i didnt rub. i just used a dremel on the upper strut holes to help gain some more camber (-2.5* from -1.8) and now i have a slight rub, so ill have to figure that out, but its only when i really jerk the wheel hard and fast.
yeah my tires are a lot bigger than that. I think they are like 215s so I'll probably still rub a little bit
Old 05-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #85
yaris 2sz
www.yarisclub.gr

Drives: yaris 1.3 2sz - 1.33 1nr
let me ask you something...

are these for the '06+ yaris too? (pn 107)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKIC...Q5fAccessories

http://www.jazzproparts.com/category_s/262265.htm
yaris 2sz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:56 PM   #86
cfeng

Drives: Yaris 2010 Liftback
What would be wrong with using these shocks with the aftermarket springs that go with this car. What does it mean to reach the full potential of these shocks by using stiffer springs?

There are three types of damping scenarios, overdamped, critically damped, and underdamped. I know that the spring damper system in cars are designed to be overdamped, instead of being critically damped or underdamped. So wouldn't getting better shocks mean that the car is just more overdamped, meaning a car that sticks its wheels to the ground more rigidly. Therefore, improved shocks with even the stock springs would create the preferred overdamped system.
cfeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #87
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris 2sz View Post
let me ask you something...

are these for the '06+ yaris too? (pn 107)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKIC...Q5fAccessories

http://www.jazzproparts.com/category_s/262265.htm
No these will not work for the '06+ Yaris.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #88
2manywheels

Drives: 09 YarHB
Just order the proper ones from Garm, and.. I love them so far.
Installed with Progressive springs. Still working them in before I go for the alignment. and as mentioned above.. Excellent price!!
2manywheels is offline   Reply With Quote