Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-06-2009, 01:30 AM   #1
id3379
§†ęĄ¶‡Ћ-NCP96

Track Suspension

Is anyone using sus that's better then the tien street coil overs ? Looking for some super stiff coil overs that can lower atleast 2.5''

Anyone sportin the goods?
id3379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Quote:
Originally Posted by id3379 View Post
Is anyone using sus that's better then the tien street coil overs ? Looking for some super stiff coil overs that can lower atleast 2.5''

Anyone sportin the goods?
no one yet, im working on a solution though! We have a really good damper now that will be for sale soon if it isnt now (the tokico HTS) but there are no good spring options. I will keep everyone update as to the spring situation though.

I just ran a track event with the tanabe DF210's, Tokico HTS, and Ultra Racing 23mm rear sway bar, and 195/55/15 star spec direzza tires, and the car drove GREAT!! Way better than i thought it would, and anyone else who drove it, loved it!

If you want another spring option, the Teins are 3kgF,3.5KgR i believe, so that would raise your rear spring rates a little as the DF210's are 3KgF,2.2KgR.

Hope that helps! I love seeing other yaris owners hit the track, this is a surprisingly great little track car!
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
id3379
§†ęĄ¶‡Ћ-NCP96

Thanks for the info
Old 06-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by id3379 View Post
Thanks for the info
no problem... another thing, i was looking at the front suspension today, we have quite a bit of shock travel stock. thats really nice to know!
Old 06-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Megan Racing / Ksport / BC

All of them have coilovers available for the Yaris... all for under $1K all of them would be able to give you the drop and stiffnes you are looking for.

+tires + rear swaybar+ aggresive aligment

and you are track ready.

The Yaris doesn't really need more than that....
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
There is a coilover thread you should read, instead of us trying to re-create it here:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8342

Also, we have new AOE TigerTec springs that are 4k front, 3k rear that are very nice and stiff if you're thinking about separate shocks/struts + spring applications.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:42 PM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
id use megan's on-track...theyre pretty stiff even on full soft

tein basics are way too soft
Old 06-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
id3379
§†ęĄ¶‡Ћ-NCP96

Thank you garm, great link

thebarber; yah i felt the same about teins
Old 06-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #9
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Every street coilover kit has rear springs that are way too soft. I just put a set of 7kg springs on the rear of my car (fronts are at 4k) with the K-Sport kit, that's the kind of rear rate that this car needs and nobody is offering it. I also have the 23mm rear stabilizer bar. When I put the 7k rear springs on, I added some rear camber to keep oversteer in check. The combination is very neutral with almost no understeer, even autocrossing on craptastic Toyo T1R's.

I believe K-Sport is offering their Road Race coilover kit for the Yaris now. Normally, that kit allows specification of custom spring rates. If that's the case with the Yaris kit, that might be a good way to go.

For all-out track use, something like 4kg/8kg would be a good place to start. Add good camber all around (2.5-3 degrees front, 1.5-2 degrees rear) and a good set of tires and you'd really have something.

I haven't tried it yet, but with stiffer front springs (4k might be enough) removing the front swaybar might be the hot ticket. Bear in mind that in a turn, the front swaybar is trying to LIFT the inside front tire... you don't need that. Use the rear roll stiffness (from stiff springs and a rear bar) to control the body roll and allow the front suspension to WORK as much as it can to keep the front tires hooked up. I might try that after I give myself a couple months to get used to the stiffer rear springs.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
that's the kind of rear rate that this car needs and nobody is offering it.
You can order Silk Road coilovers with any springs rates you want. They normally come 5k/7k.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
Loren
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
You can order Silk Road coilovers with any springs rates you want. They normally come 5k/7k.
That's not bad. Still a "street bias" though. Probably not bad at all with a factory rear alignment. No wonder people like the Silk Road so much.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #12
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I have the AOE tigertecs on my car paired up with some Tokico HP's and a trd rear sway bar. I can after settling in and getting an alignment, this car handles like a monster. I'm sure if I'd put some better tires on then the stock Bridgestones, that it would be even better. Depending on what your willing to spend, I totally suggest the AOE Tigertec springs paired up with better then stock shocks, preferrably.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #13
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
loren!!! where did you get your 7k springs?

oh and.. i spoke extensively with Gordon from Koni tech support today. he has a solution to the rear spring issues that other manufacturers have faced with the xa/xb/yaris style suspension. because of the excellent motion ratio of the rear shocks, converting the setup to eye-to-eye style shocks with adjustable perches will now move the spring from the "inboard" mounting point to a much more "outboard" position. this will allow you to run a "softer" spring and maintain the same ride quality.

i have koni yellows on the way from kngrsll and Ksport rear spring perches/springs as well. next up, getting ground control to sell me sleeves for the front and i think i'll finally have my suspension back up to par.

anyone here interested in a petition to show to Koni North America that Yaris owners want shocks/struts?
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #14
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Loren! you are still around lol... i cant believe your rear spring rates are that high! thats good to know though...
Old 06-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #15
Loren
What?

My rear springs are from my old Tein SS Miata suspension. I've been running 4's since I first installed the suspension, never even put the 2.3's that came with the K-Sport kit on the car. I always thought 7kg would be too much because I actually tried them before I put the 4's on. It felt GREAT on the short drive that I took, but since I was prepping to go cross-country and drive on a bunch of unfamiliar race tracks with no time to do any real testing, I didn't want to risk having an oversteery car. So, I went with the 4's.

It wasn't until after I put the 23mm rear bar on and found that I still had to run the rear shocks at near full stiff to get the car to oversteer that I realized the car WANTS a lot more rear stiffness. When I noticed my rear tires were wearing on the outside and begging for more camber, the plan all came together. More rear stiffness, more camber to resist oversteer and even out the tire wear.

The Tein springs are NOT a perfect fit. In fact, they would very likely fall out without the tender springs (that I conveniently had on the shelf from the same SS kit). And they barely fit the K-Sport lower perch. They clunk and creak and stuff, but only my wife cares. :)

I think I've swapped some email with Gordon back when I was running Koni's on my Miata a LONG time ago. Him and Lee Grimes are the main Koni gurus in the US, I think.

I wondered if the upper shock mounting point was beefy enough to support a true coilover setup in the rear. That would be interesting, for sure... and it does appear that the motion ratio would require less spring that far back on the axle assembly. Putting an actual suspension mounting point there might actually create a need for that rear shock tower brace!

BTW, Tamago, I used your washer trick on the rear hubs. $2 for some SS washers, a couple minutes at the grinder and now I have about 2 degrees of camber back there!

Kngsrll... I have been considering dropping YW. Sometimes I just don't have the patience for it. Most of the time, really.

Couldn't resist a "track suspension" thread, of course.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #16
Tamago

loren, if you have Gchat, please give it to me before you leave!

and if you want to sell your 4kg's let me know, Ksport refused to send me anything but 2.2K with my rear perches :(
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #17
Loren
What?

Tamago, my email address is no secret... write it down somewhere, that's the best way to reach me.

With your fab skills, you should be able to use a standard spring and just spin up some perch adapters for it. Might take some experimentation to get it to work right.

The Tein springs that I have wouldn't work for you without the Tein tender springs, and I don't have another set of those. The tender spring allows the spring to work with the odd angle that the lower spring perch takes as the suspension droops.

Hey! How is Silk Road doing 7kg rear springs? Anybody got photos of that setup?

Old 06-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #18
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Tamago, my email address is no secret... write it down somewhere, that's the best way to reach me.

With your fab skills, you should be able to use a standard spring and just spin up some perch adapters for it. Might take some experimentation to get it to work right.

The Tein springs that I have wouldn't work for you without the Tein tender springs, and I don't have another set of those. The tender spring allows the spring to work with the odd angle that the lower spring perch takes as the suspension droops.

Hey! How is Silk Road doing 7kg rear springs? Anybody got photos of that setup?
once the perches get here, i'll most likely be doing exactly that, already have a 3" plug of 6061 waiting at the lathe!
you nailed it sir.