Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
PLEASE HELP! 15x8 wheels

So I have been looking around for some info, but have not quite found my answer, so here i go...

I want to get some 15x8 wheels on my car 3dr Hatch, and want to know what offset should i be looking for and what wheels are available, I like the sport max wheels and the axis OG wheels similar to work, please help out
Ric
contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:18 PM   #2
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Where is the Tire Nazi when you need him?
Old 04-11-2007, 07:20 PM   #3
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Don't you think 8 is kinda wide on this car?
Old 04-11-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
d4w1

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Toyota TRD of Japan recommends 17X7 wheels with 205/45R17 tires for the best handing package for the Yaris/Vitz. If you are in the future going to upgrade your suspension with TRD parts. This is the tire and wheel size you want.
d4w1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
I use 17.5,and they rub the fenderwell alittle at full lock left/right.But I love the way it takes a corner.Ohya,8" would be way to wide,unless you only plan on only driving straight,or straightish.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:37 PM   #6
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
You would need a 45mm offset. Of course , no matter what offset you use your going rub with 8 inch wide wheels. I would go with 7.5 inches wide, again with 45mm offset, if you want the widest possible.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:19 AM   #7
Vic-2NZFE

Drives: Yaris 2NZFE
I used to ride on 17x8 on 205/40/17 it indeed rub the fenderwell badly
But believe me handling was awesome

It's a Vitz!
Vic-2NZFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:19 AM   #8
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
http://1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

Take some measurments and figure it out.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:27 AM   #9
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
Where is the Tire Nazi when you need him?
Tire Nazi here to save the day!
if you want to run an 8 in wide you want +38 offset that will set your wheel dead flush with your fender and will cause no rubbing on the inside wheel well. I would suggest a 225/50R15 tire, as it would keep the overall diameter if the tire very close to stock.

do not run the +45 as Peterredyaris said or you will be rubbing all the time, I can see why he had such bad rubbing problems running that offset on that width

You should be fine with 8 in wide wheels, because I am running a 8.9 inch wide tire (225/50R15) on a wheel with a +38 offset and they set as described above, it will work
Old 04-13-2007, 09:51 AM   #10
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Last edited by largeorangefont; 04-13-2007 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:53 AM   #11
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
Tire Nazi here to save the day!
if you want to run an 8 in wide you want +38 offset that will set your wheel dead flush with your fender and will cause no rubbing on the inside wheel well. I would suggest a 225/50R15 tire, as it would keep the overall diameter if the tire very close to stock.

do not run the +45 as Peterredyaris said or you will be rubbing all the time, I can see why he had such bad rubbing problems running that offset on that width

You should be fine with 8 in wide wheels, because I am running a 8.9 inch wide tire (225/50R15) on a wheel with a +38 offset and they set as described above, it will work
You recommend +38 for everything. Stop making reccomendations based on your setup. You obvoiusly have 0 experience with lowered Yarii and have NO IDEA how offset dynamically changes with wheel width. +38 on an 8 inch wheel will rub the outer fender horribly if he lowers the car more than an inch or so. It will stick out 15mm more than a 7 inch wheel with a 40mm offset which is nearly flush.

Here is a simple offset calculator. See for yourself.

You previously said that a 7 inch wheel with +38 is perfectly flush. which it is, but it will rub on the outer front if you are lowered. So by your account now both +38 on a 7 inch wide wheel and +38 on an 8 inch wide wheel will be perfectly flush? NO. the 8 inch wheel will STICK OUT 13 MM beyond the fender of the 7 inch wheel.

Addtionally there will be 13 mm LESS clearance on the inside. To put that into perspective, that would be the equivelent of running a + 51 7 inch wheel which MAY rub on the inside. I dont know that for sure.

So if he lowered the car he would probably rub on both the inside AND outside of the fender based on your recommendation.

To the original poster:

If you are not lowered at all and dont plan to you will probably need an offset in the mid to low 30s to run 8s. If you plan to lower the car Black yaris has no idea what he is talking about regarding this topic, and you may need really low profile tires to keep from rubbing the outer fenders, and the wheels will stick out.

You could probably get 8s in the back and get it looking pretty good and nearly flush or flush, but to get that look in the front you will probably have to go with a narrower front with a different offset.

Last edited by largeorangefont; 04-13-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:18 AM   #12
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by largeorangefont View Post
You recommend +38 for everything. Stop making reccomendations based on your setup. You obvoiusly have 0 experience with lowered Yarii and have NO IDEA how offset dynamically changes with wheel width. +38 on an 8 inch wheel will rub the outer fender horribly if he lowers the car more than an inch or so. It will stick out 15mm more than a 7 inch wheel with a 40mm offset which is nearly flush.

Here is a simple offset calculator. See for yourself.

You previously said that a 7 inch wheel with +38 is perfectly flush. which it is, but it will rub on the outer front if you are lowered. So by your account now both +38 on a 7 inch wide wheel and +38 on an 8 inch wide wheel will be perfectly flush? NO. the 8 inch wheel will STICK OUT 13 MM beyond the fender of the 7 inch wheel.

Addtionally there will be 13 mm LESS clearance on the inside. To put that into perspective, that would be the equivelent of running a + 51 7 inch wheel which MAY rub on the inside. I dont know that for sure.

So if he lowered the car he would probably rub on both the inside AND outside of the fender based on your recommendation.

To the original poster:

If you are not lowered at all and dont plan to you will probably need an offset in the mid to low 30s to run 8s. If you plan to lower the car Black yaris has no idea what he is talking about regarding this topic, and you may need really low profile tires to keep from rubbing the outer fenders, and the wheels will stick out.

You could probably get 8s in the back and get it looking pretty good and nearly flush or flush, but to get that look in the front you will probably have to go with a narrower front with a different offset.
you need to read a bit further in to what I say young one.... I am sure I know a hell of a lot more than you when it comes you wheel, tires, and custom suspensions.

contraband831 I ask you this, do you want to lower your Yaris? Do you mind if you have some rubbing on full lock turns? What is the reason for running the 8 in wheel looks? just answer a few of these questions, ignore largeorangefont, and click on the link in my signature and PM me if you have anymore questions
Old 04-13-2007, 11:40 AM   #13
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
you need to read a bit further in to what I say young one.... I am sure I know a hell of a lot more than you when it comes you wheel, tires, and custom suspensions.
No, you actually don't. Your blanket recommendations and misinformation in this and other threads reflect that.

Quote:
contraband831 I ask you this, do you want to lower your Yaris? Do you mind if you have some rubbing on full lock turns? What is the reason for running the 8 in wheel looks? just answer a few of these questions, ignore largeorangefont, and click on the link in my signature and PM me if you have anymore questions
These should have been questions you asked before you spewed misinformation. Your recommendation of +38 will be flush is flat wrong. If the original poster wants to listen to your opinion or the actual facts I provided, that is his choice.

Your tire right sizing guide thread is great, but has no specific offset information making it an incomplete answer to the question at hand.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:56 AM   #14
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by largeorangefont View Post
No, you actually don't. Your blanket recommendations and misinformation in this and other threads reflect that.

These should have been questions you asked before you spewed misinformation. Your recommendation of +38 will be flush is flat wrong. If the original poster wants to listen to your opinion or the actual facts I provided, that is his choice.

Your tire right sizing guide thread is great, but has no specific offset information making it an incomplete answer to the question at hand.
if you would like I will update my wheel/tire thread with every offset/width option as well as variable which lowering springs, but that would be a lot of information for most to sift though... I was asked to make something for MOST, AVERAGE drivers... and that is what I did... if anyone wants anything out of the norm, as does this person, all they need to do is ask.

and I checked out that 1010 tires offset calculator, WOW could that thing be more off, I just checked it on a couple of my old rides that I knew like the back of my hand, it was coming up with some off sets like +100 and stuff like that who knows? but I do not think that is correct source of information for offset, but I do like there tire calculator

Largeoragefont you just need to calm the fuck down, and show a little , as I will from this pont on, Fair?
Old 04-13-2007, 11:59 AM   #15
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
DING! Black Yaris on the right corner weighting a 200 lbs.. and largeorangefont on the left weighting 201 lbs.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:45 PM   #16
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
if you would like I will update my wheel/tire thread with every offset/width option as well as variable which lowering springs, but that would be a lot of information for most to sift though... I was asked to make something for MOST, AVERAGE drivers... and that is what I did... if anyone wants anything out of the norm, as does this person, all they need to do is ask.

and I checked out that 1010 tires offset calculator, WOW could that thing be more off, I just checked it on a couple of my old rides that I knew like the back of my hand, it was coming up with some off sets like +100 and stuff like that who knows? but I do not think that is correct source of information for offset, but I do like there tire calculator

Largeoragefont you just need to calm the fuck down, and show a little , as I will from this pont on, Fair?

Fair enough. On a serious note, What was wrong with the calculator? I found it to be very accurate for guaging how much space you gain or lose in relation to offset and wheel width. What were you putting in?

Compare a 7 inch wide +40 offset to a 7.5 +40 offset for example. That is correct.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:58 PM   #17
R0ME0

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS Turbo
On a side not does anyone know if 17x7.5 on a +42 Offset will rub? I'm planning on running 205/40/17 thanks!
Old 04-13-2007, 01:58 PM   #18
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
15x7 +23mm and a 225/50 15 V710 sticks out like mad! :lol:

i'll add more to this thread later, it needs some fixing.

<--with LargeOrangeFont on this one.
Russelt3hPirate is offline   Reply With Quote