Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-16-2007, 12:22 AM   #37
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimble View Post
That's incorrect, a 225 sitting on a 15x8 ET38 will not sit in the same place as a 225 sitting on a a 15x7 ET38, what tire shop did you work at again? A 1" wider wheel will put roughly 13mm's more on either side of the tire, both on the shock side and the fender side.
smoke another one because the tire will be sitting in the same spot, and that is what I said... THE TIRE WILL BE SITTING IN THE SAME SPOT

since the tire is 225 mm wide (8.9in) wich is wider than either wheel the tire is going to sit in the same position regaurdless... you need to figure out TIRE clearance, not wheel clearance in this case and that is what I did with the +38 offset
Old 04-16-2007, 12:52 AM   #38
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
smoke another one because the tire will be sitting in the same spot, and that is what I said... THE TIRE WILL BE SITTING IN THE SAME SPOT
No, not quite. The mounting pad of the wheel will be in the same place relative to the wheel centerline on a 8 inch. vs a 7 inch rim with the same offset. But the mounting pad would be in a different location relative to the inner and outer wheel lips, and this change the position of the wheel in the wheelwell. The only time this relationship would not change is if the wheel was 0 offset, meaning the mounting pad was in the dead center of the wheel. Then you would increase equal distances on the outside and inside, and relative position would stay the same.

The +38 is a fixed number. That means 38 MM from the center of the width wheel to the mounting pad. That distance has to stay the same, regardless of rim width, but the width still grows. Because the offset is favored to one side of the wheel (not 0 offset), one side protrudes furthur than the other as width grows.

That is why the wider wheel you go the less offset you have, because you have to account and compensate for uneven growth on both sides of the wheel centerline.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:08 AM   #39
Black Yaris
der Zeck

I am saying in this one case, only...
maybe if I start from where I started from you will understand my logic
I wanted to cram the widest tire I could and keep as close to the stock rolling diameter as possible... I came up with the 225/50R15

Then I started from there doing my measuring, checking clearance with stocks. At the time all I could get my hands on with a +38 offset was a 7in wheel so that is what I got. But as I said before, since all my math is to compensate for the tire rather than the width of the wheel that is how I arived with my +38, and how it works the same with a 7 and 8 inch wheel.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:06 AM   #40
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Drives: 2007 Black Sand Liftback
Quote:
That's incorrect, a 225 sitting on a 15x8 ET38 will not sit in the same place as a 225 sitting on a a 15x7 ET38, what tire shop did you work at again? A 1" wider wheel will put roughly 13mm's more on either side of the tire, both on the shock side and the fender side.

I'm quoting myself again....well, because I'm right. Think about it. You cannot, I repeat CANNOT have a wider wheel with the same offset as a smaller wheel sit in the same place in the wheel well. Why have offsets at all then? So a 15x5 ET 38 would sit in the same place as said 15x8 ET 38? That's what your reasoning suggests.

Tanabe DF, Debadged, stripped, Black emblems
Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:36 AM   #41
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Nimble, I'm sorry, but please re-read my post, look especially at the first picture, and visualize the relationship between the offset and the outside of the tires as the rim's width changes.

I wish I was any good at Flash or 3D graphics to make a demonstration, but I'm not

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:42 AM   #42
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimble
I'm quoting myself again....well, because I'm right. Think about it. You cannot, I repeat CANNOT have a wider wheel with the same offset as a smaller wheel sit in the same place in the wheel well. Why have offsets at all then? So a 15x5 ET 38 would sit in the same place as said 15x8 ET 38? That's what your reasoning suggests.
that is why I put the word TIRE in all caps when I made my previous statments.... We are not all dumb here Nimble we do know that a 8 inch wheel is 1 inch (aprox 26mm) wider than a 7 inch wider wheel. I am talking about position of the tread of the tire will be unchanged, if you take the exact same tire and put it on the two wheels listed above in your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Nimble, I'm sorry, but please re-read my post, look especially at the first picture, and visualize the relationship between the offset and the outside of the tires as the rim's width changes.

I wish I was any good at Flash or 3D graphics to make a demonstration, but I'm not
Lets make a Video Thomas I'll bring the rubber(s)
<---aka the "tire condom"
Old 04-16-2007, 10:49 AM   #43
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Well no one gives a crap where the TIRE is because it will be too far inside the wheel on any wheel that's one inch larger than the wheel said tire was meant for. Who cares if the tire fits the wheel that's wider, if said wheel is too close to the shock/strut now? You cannot just look at one without the other.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:00 AM   #44
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Well no one gives a crap where the TIRE is because it will be too far inside the wheel on any wheel that's one inch larger than the wheel said tire was meant for. Who cares if the tire fits the wheel that's wider, if said wheel is too close to the shock/strut now? You cannot just look at one without the other.
OK Nible lets do a little Math here based on your logic, as stated above and based on my set up, that everyone knows so well.

15x7 +38
225/50R15 tire

now you are saying who gives a crap about the tire... if I would not have "gave a crap" I would have gone with +42 or +45 with that 7 in wide wheel when doing my math

skip to an 8 in wheel also doing the math I would have came up with the same offsets

lets say I put said tire on from above with the higher offset, and get all pissed off because I am rubbing my tire like crazy on my strut, yeah I am going to be pissed

a 225/50VR15 has a tread width of 8.9 inches therefor why my math was for the width of the tire not the wheel, I know I have explaned this a few times... Are you just trying to get in an Agrument with us Nimble?
Old 04-16-2007, 11:46 AM   #45
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

your argument makes no sense. not to metion your yaris isn't lowered, so that means little to us with lowered cars. All I was saying was who cares about the tire size? I'm talking about what the wheel does, does not do when increasing the width. And yes, your 225 tire WILL sit in a different spot with a 15x7 vs 15x8 both ET38. Not a big difference, but a difference nonetheless.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:02 PM   #46
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Alright fellas I am still going for 15x8, the main reason i am going with 15x8 wheels, just like the look. These wheels will not be my everyday wheel. This is going to be a lot more difficult then i thought, but you guys made one thing clear its going to take some money and a lot of work to get this done, I guess i have to go with a company that can accomodate what i need, but i will definitely have to save up for the work wheels, instead of the axxis Oldskools. this topic is still open for discussion, believe me i am reading every post and taking in the info. This is all good stuff It will definitely help me in my journey for the look i am going for.

15x8 on a yaris THAT IS BADAZZ, at least in my mind :)
contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:39 AM   #47
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
16x8 +25 front
16x8 +15 rear
195/45/16 tires
no rubbing
done

I have the same wheels in 15x8, let me know if you want.
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:51 AM   #48
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
streeeeeeeeetch! looks pretty awesome though!

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 04-17-2007, 01:54 AM   #49
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Z33 View Post
16x8 +25 front
16x8 +15 rear
195/45/16 tires
no rubbing
done

I dont see how thats not going to rub? bagged?
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:57 AM   #50
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
And 195mm = 7.68"! So the wheel is actually wider than the tire! Is that allowed?? Or possible? I guess so!
Old 04-17-2007, 02:02 AM   #51
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrman View Post
I dont see how thats not going to rub? bagged?
no bags, coilovers
8K front & 5K rear

little bit of camber
-2.5 front & -1.5 rear
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:02 AM   #52
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

sure is, it gives a stretched look to the wheel.. Look at the closeup of my wheel I posted in the previous page, kinda like that, but in that case, probably even more stetched!

It's a matter of taste, I will go for wider tires when I change them, this leaves the edge of my rims far too exposed, already have a few scratches on them

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 04-17-2007, 02:18 AM   #53
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
.. Look at the closeup of my wheel I posted in the previous page.....
Damn... first time I skip to the last page of a thread rather than reading the whole thing, and it bites me in the a$$!!

BTW... you guys argue a lot!!! hahahha!! (my head hurts with all your offset-ery!)
Old 04-17-2007, 10:00 AM   #54
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Z33 View Post
16x8 +25 front
16x8 +15 rear
195/45/16 tires
no rubbing
done

dood that looks helle sick