Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-04-2018, 07:17 AM   #1
Dliverance

Drives: 2012 Black sand pearl <3
The commuter that does it all.

Hello everyone. I have wanted a Toyota vitz since the year 2000. When I was 15 I used to play gran turismo every single day! Something about the vitz really had my eye. Unfortunately, the vitz wasn’t available to me in Florida. The closest I ever got was a red echo hatchback that I saw on the highway. In 2006 I remember seeing my first Yaris. I was broke and had no credit but boy was I in love. I couldn’t afford a Yaris then because I will only buy a car that I can pay for cash. Some years went by and I kinda forgot about the Yaris bug I once had. I have been fortunate enough to have some great cars. Lots of crx’s, lots of Miatas, an FD rx7, a handful of Subaru’s and more Ford festivas than I could count. I also got into autox and road racing with the SCCA. Last month I was building a festiva for autox when I broke off a cv joint in the transmission. When I called the local parts store, they told me that they didn’t have a throwout bearing in stock and couldn’t find one in the country. This made me really want a newer car so I sat down and thought about what I would buy if I was in the market for a newer car. I got on craigslist and set the filters to hatchback, manual, 4 cylinder and hit search. When I saw “Sky” (what the previous owner named her), I knew I had to have her. I had a long talk with the GF and now I’m the proud owner of a 2008 Yaris base. It has 78k miles and it is perfect.

Over the course of the next few months I’m going to be making her mine. The plan is to make her a really good looking autox car/daily driver. I’ll be running my first autox with her today to get an idea of just how much work is ahead of me. The only mod she has right now is a set of volk te37v in 15x7.5+25 f and 15x8+25 r configuration that were supposed to go on my zzw30. They fit like a champ but I think I’ll reserve those for daily driving or swap the rears up to the front when I autox.

Here’s a few pictures.

Dliverance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:57 AM   #2
Captain Yaris

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 Dr Super White
Very nice! Welcome!
Captain Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:12 PM   #3
Dliverance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Yaris View Post
Very nice! Welcome!
Thank you Captain. I’m about to start my runs now.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Looks to be a very good, extremely low mileage '08. Great find. Now get those wiper arms repositioned.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2018, 02:53 PM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
welcome to the club, interested to hear your take on how your Yaris feels during autox in its current state
Old 03-04-2018, 05:28 PM   #6
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Now get those wiper arms repositioned.
Ha! I was thinking the same thing, just didn't have the nerve to write it.

Oh and congrats on the new car Dliverance. Looks good.
NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:51 PM   #7
Dliverance

I thought the wipers looked a little high. I’ll get those taken care of when I get home.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:45 AM   #8
Dliverance

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
welcome to the club, interested to hear your take on how your Yaris feels during autox in its current state
To be honest, the car felt great. I didn’t expect the federals to perform as well as they did. It was cold today (in the 30’s) and the federals performed exactly like my last set of re71r’s until it got wet. With the staggered fitment I expected the car to plow but not once in the entire event did it plow. In fact, the car even spun on me once.

The rest of the suspension needs a lot of work. I’m going to be shopping for coilovers this month. I would like something rebuildable like teins but I’m leaning closer to the Bilstein b14’s because a scion/Yaris friend of mine is suggesting them. They’re also within by coilover budget.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #9
tmontague

Take a look at the BC racing BR series. The reason I ended up going with them was the fact that they offered custom spring rates at that price range (~$1k). The price is pretty solid too. The ones i ordered are being built so i can't speak to their performance.

YW member Armstrong has been racing on BC racing DR coil overs for a while now and has said good things

Last edited by tmontague; 03-05-2018 at 06:03 PM.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:21 PM   #10
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dliverance View Post
Thank you Captain. I’m about to start my runs now.

Is that Bremerton?
Old 03-05-2018, 05:21 PM   #11
Dliverance

Sure is
Old 03-05-2018, 08:54 PM   #12
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Sure is
Fun place. Spent many weekends there.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:25 PM   #13
Dliverance

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Take a look at the BC racing BR series. The reason I ended up going with them was the fact that they offered custom spring rates at that price range (~$1k). The price is pretty solid too. The ones i ordered are being built so i can't speak to their performance.

YW member Armstrong has been racing on BC racing DR coil overs for a while now and has said good things
Do you mind if I ask what rates you went with?
Old 03-06-2018, 09:39 AM   #14
tmontague

I went with 7k front and 9k rear. This should allow me to remove my TRD sway bar and sell it to put the cash towards a dyno.

I had run 4k front and 3k rear last year with basic lowering springs with oem dampers up front and tokiko blue's in the rear. Paired with the sway bar it made the rear end tail happy which I wanted to help rotate the car in corners. The problem was the front end dipped hard under full braking which made it too tail happy when braking at the beginning of a hard corner. The car would also get upset on quick transitions from alternating corners.

The new spring rates should keep the car tail happy but control the front end dip and keep the car more stable. It also gives me the benefit of being able to adjust damping which really appeals to me. I was already happy with my ride height but now at least I can corner balance my car.

Fwiw, my chosen spring rates were based on recommendations from many YW members and their experience such as Jason and Tom who had experience in road courses with varying spring rates
Old 03-06-2018, 08:06 PM   #15
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
Quote:
Do you mind if I ask what rates you went with?
I tried the standard 5/3 springs from BC, and even had more experienced drivers than myself help tune the car. The front with 5k is good, but 3k in the rear was useless and we had the dampers maxes out. We then tried a square setup with 5k all around, and we were getting excellent rotation from the rear at 16-clicks

Before I tried 8k in the rear we installed a ULtra Racing rear brace in addition to the TRD RSB, and that seemed to give us a little more rotation as well.

It may be better to run an 8k rear spring and toss all of the braces. But I’m unsure if any of this translates since my car is around 1950lbs.
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:05 PM   #16
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Haha the bremerton Drags... I just left there. Good Times, The roads back by Tahuya and Seabeck are worth galavanting around. I know some guys still in the area.

Welcome to that #yarislife
Runethecursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:29 AM   #17
Dliverance

Thanks guys. I need to sit down and really think about what I’m going to do for spring rates. My car won’t be light since it has to be my daily as well but I don’t mind a stiff ride. Right now I’m trying to figure out what I’m going to do about front camber. I’m probably going to move the 8” wide wheels to the front and run some more camber and leave the rears at stock camber but adjust the toe. Before I do any purchasing I need to sell my mr2 and all of my festiva stuff. After that some great things are going to happen.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:15 PM   #18
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Id talk to Steve, http://141motors.com/ hes in near seattle but you wont find a shop that will be more dedicated to getting you want you want. I know afew supra owners who go there but steve isnt above working on random cars (he expressed interest in my old 1uz swapped 240)
Runethecursed is offline   Reply With Quote