Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-03-2019, 12:35 PM   #19
Lays

Drives: 2015 yaris L
Thanks guys.

Now I need to figure out what I want to do next. I still have parts laying around I could put on a new yaris, but I might get a used BRZ or Fiesta ST instead since they're in my price range.
Lays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:41 AM   #20
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lays View Post
Thanks guys.

Now I need to figure out what I want to do next. I still have parts laying around I could put on a new yaris, but I might get a used BRZ or Fiesta ST instead since they're in my price range.
That's some scary stuff, glad you made it out OK. I was a traffic accident investigator in the Army way back in the day and one of my first cases was a fatality. Best I can figure, the car was on high performance summers in the early morning rain. Came around a right hand curve too fast and hydroplaned into the oncoming lane, directly into the front tire of an 18 wheeler full of lumber. The driver was dead by the time I got to the scene. I don't mess around with summer tires until it's consistently above 50, even overnight.

For the numbers you were looking at in the Yaris, the ST would be the way to go. Way more support, more proven builds, more aftermarket availability.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:57 PM   #21
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Quote:
Thanks guys.

It would be great to see a nice BRZ, all of them around here are widebody with "hotboi" wheels and loud exhaust, but otherwise stock and pretty slow.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:42 PM   #22
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I have to disagree with Cranky on this one and say go with the FT-86. If you plan to track it and autox it then the 86 will be a much more capable chassis. Power is available in the aftermarket once your driver skill gets you to that point. It was meant to be a drivers car from the beginning whereas the fiesta is just a fwd hatch with a turbo thrown in.

Just my $0.02 CAD
Old 11-04-2019, 09:58 PM   #23
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
I'd love to have access to 94. Fortunately at least I have access to 93 within about a half hour drive. I have to go close to that location once a week anyway. The other thing I've been trying to find out - with no success - is just how much more detonation resistant 93 is as opposed to 91.
i've looked into that topic as well and couldn't find any good info really. I think the best I could find was a few whp difference between 91 and 94 octane. I have considered just using Costco 91 octane as it would be much cheaper and it is just as close/far to me as the 94 is. The more I thought about it the more 94 made sense in my case. It is solely a track car now so it would only end up being a slight difference in money each year and beyond the hp benefit it would also offer slightly more protection in the case of detonation.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:54 PM   #24
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
It would be great to see a nice BRZ, all of them around here are widebody with "hotboi" wheels and loud exhaust, but otherwise stock and pretty slow.
Funny, the one car I was consistently passing at the HPDE I did this year was an 86 with some crazy Anime girl vinyl on it. =D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I have to disagree with Cranky on this one and say go with the FT-86. If you plan to track it and autox it then the 86 will be a much more capable chassis. Power is available in the aftermarket once your driver skill gets you to that point. It was meant to be a drivers car from the beginning whereas the fiesta is just a fwd hatch with a turbo thrown in.

Just my $0.02 CAD
Fair enough, I'm just partial to the FWD hatchback segment at the moment. =)
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:14 PM   #25
Lays

Drives: 2015 yaris L
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Funny, the one car I was consistently passing at the HPDE I did this year was an 86 with some crazy Anime girl vinyl on it. =D

Fair enough, I'm just partial to the FWD hatchback segment at the moment. =)

I feel like going fast in an ST is much cheaper than an 86 though, especially since the starting price on an ST is much cheaper as well
Lays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:30 PM   #26
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Any more news on your plans? If you don't pick up another Yaris, what are you doing with the performance parts you accumulated?

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:41 PM   #27
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Any more news on your plans? If you don't pick up another Yaris, what are you doing with the performance parts you accumulated?
Your question is timely. He ended up picking up a Fiesta ST. Earlier this week, he sent me a message on Instagram saying someone hit him and ran on the highway. I believe he said the insurance co is going to total it out. He said there was another for sale in his area that he was thinking he'd pick up and swap over the parts he's already gotten.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:11 PM   #28
Desircustoms

Drives: 06 Yaris RS MT
Quote:
Well nevermind, this morning I totalled my car coming home from work.

I still have some 60 treadwear advans on my car from the last autocross event a few weeks ago, I was planning on putting my normal tires on next week because it's been like low 30 degrees outside.

Rear end came out when I was coming around a corner this morning around midnight, it was 29-31 degrees, I tried to counter steer and save it but no luck.

I went through a telephone pole, a huge fence, and smacked into a giant tree.
Great that you survived and are not injured!

So the rear hub bolts snapped off? Curious to know what failed exactly, I'm about to switch both rear bearings, after reading this I'll probably get some raybestos or Timken, saving a few bucks here is not worth it.
Desircustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:04 AM   #29
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desircustoms View Post
Great that you survived and are not injured!

So the rear hub bolts snapped off? Curious to know what failed exactly, I'm about to switch both rear bearings, after reading this I'll probably get some raybestos or Timken, saving a few bucks here is not worth it.
I think he lost traction and spun out. The normally soft/grippy tire compound was too stiff due to the cold temps.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote