Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-11-2020, 03:39 AM   #1
T Davids

Drives: T1 2006 Yaris
1kr-ne swap to 1nz-fe

Good day guys

Im a newbie to this forum and also a total newbie to car modification. I have a 2006 T1 Yaris and would like more power in my car. I am thinking of changing the 1kr-ne engine in my car to a 1nz-fe engine. Please tell me what is needed for the swap?
T Davids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:28 AM   #2
Dragonslayer182
Teal Squealer

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
As someone with a 1NZ-FE, just go straight for a 2ZZ if you can find one.
Dragonslayer182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:22 PM   #3
T Davids

I just want to upgrade to a 1.5 nz-fe. Can anyone else offer some assistance on this?
T Davids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:36 PM   #4
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Drives: NCP131, F-150
If you're a newbie at wrenching on cars, you'd honestly be better off just buying a Yaris with the 1NZ-FE already in it.

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:46 AM   #5
T Davids

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch9521 View Post
If you're a newbie at wrenching on cars, you'd honestly be better off just buying a Yaris with the 1NZ-FE already in it.
I am interested in learning for myself. Before you do the actual work you first need to do research on the topic. I just wanted to know what parts need to change etc so I can work out a budget.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:40 AM   #6
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
at the very least you will need engine, transmission (not sure which transmission the 1kr uses), ecu, engine accessories. Probably engine mounts
Old 01-16-2020, 11:41 AM   #7
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
If going through the trouble of swapping a 1nz, may as well swap to a 2zr. Theres tons of info on this forum for that swap.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:18 PM   #8
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
If going through the trouble of swapping a 1nz, may as well swap to a 2zr. Theres tons of info on this forum for that swap.
Depends on availability, but if it's available I would agree.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:57 AM   #9
T Davids

Thanx guys, appreciate the info!
Old 01-24-2020, 10:16 AM   #10
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
TL;DR: It's possible but you have to be dedicated to it. It is almost certainly cheaper/easier in the long run to just buy a 1NZ-FE Yaris. If your goal is to learn and grow your mechanical skills, it's an awesome way to do it. If you're going through all the work to do the swap, the 2ZR is a very viable alternative since it requires no fabrication to install and you're replacing basically everything anyway.

That said, here's my advise:

You're definitely in the right place to get this project rolling! YW has been a HUGE help with my 2ZR swap. I wasn't the first but I collaborated with a few of the pioneers and learned a ton about how to do it successfully. This is not for the faint of heart or easily discouraged. It takes a LONG time to get the research done but it makes for a much easier install in the long run. I had minimal automotive skills when I bought my Yaris almost a decade ago and have learned a ton in the process.

Assuming you have the self discipline to do the research, tools and workshop space are the next big hurdle. You either need a friend with all of the stuff or you will have to start amassing them on your own.

Leegamer is right--you should plan on swapping most of the engine bay components--the engine, transmission, all three mounts, all three mount brackets, the shifter cables/linkage, the whole exhaust, all coolant hoses, all engine bay fuel hoses, the intake system (air box, air hose, throttle body, intake manifold), engine and transmission wire harness (including the ECU), radiator fill neck, fuel pump, wire harness mounting brackets that go on the body, and anything else that isn't the exact same part number between the two models.

I usually start my research at toyodiy.com. You can search by year and model or plate/VIN to find out what parts are factory installed on any given car. Once you know what part number you're looking for, you can do a reverse search to see what year/trim a given part number was used on. You can also use that to sort through potential donor vehicles that are available locally to see if it's even worth your time to look at them.

You may be able to keep the existing gearbox since most of the C50 variants have the same or similar bell housing patterns but you won't know for sure until you physically put them together. Be aware that "C50" is a family of gearboxes, not a unique part number. The Mk1 MR2, Yaris, xB1, xD and a few others all use a "C50" gearbox but they are mechanically unique in their mounting points and internal configuration, to include drive shaft splines, starter mounting position and shift linkage layout.

Once you have the mechanical parts list, you need to look at wiring diagrams and connectors. The best way I've found to do that is through a subscription to Toyota's Tech Info site. It's a pain to set up and rather expensive but it's The Last Word on documentation for everything they make. While they're not 100% consistent on pin assignments or wire names, they are close enough that you can usually sort it out by looking at the diagrams. A full wire harness for the engine is the least hassle but you might have some incompatible pins on the ECU since it has one connector for the engine bay and one for the cabin. Swapping to the right 1NZ ECU will make the engine side 100% compatible but may introduce problems on the cabin side.

If you use a spreadsheet, you can compare the whole bill of materials from your car with the trim level you're trying to change to. Taking good notes and keeping organized will save you lots of headaches and wasted money.

Keep in mind that some of the tools you need will be large/heavy/expensive and may only need to be used once. If you have a tool rental company nearby it may be easier in the long run to just rent so that you don't have to store a bunch of tools you'll never use again. If you plan on doing more intensive and regular maintenance on your car, the tools may pay for themselves in the long run vs going to a shop. Your mileage may vary.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Last edited by CrankyOldMan; 01-24-2020 at 10:18 AM. Reason: typos
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:51 AM   #11
T Davids

Wow! Thanx alot all the info buddy, really appreciate it. After reading this it seems like its a big process that might as well be done with swapping to the 2ZR. I understand better now why to swap to a 2ZR.

:D

Tags
1kr-ne, 1nz-fe