Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-19-2008, 03:16 AM   #1
gootziecat

Drives: '09 white 5-dr LB
GPS

Circuit City has refurbished Garmin street pilot c330 selling for $99.99. Has anyone purchased one of these, and if so, is it holding up and working ok? Where have you located your GPS in your Yaris?
gootziecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by gootziecat View Post
... Where have you located your GPS in your Yaris?
I had a GPS thread last week (now gone of course ) showing my Navi placement.
Attached Images

Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
I had a GPS thread last week (now gone of course ) showing my Navi placement.
Kal-El

I have a Nuvi 3350 (love it), and was wondering how you have that mounted? I just bought my Yaris last night, but I had one for a rental a few weeks ago and because of the slanted windshield, it was a long reach to the buttons.

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #4
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
I have the Garmin 340, very similar in style. The 340 announces the street name with turing info. I do not think the 330 says the street name, but could be wrong.
Before the take down of this site, there was a post by someone that mounted theirs on the dash so they could see it through the steering wheel. They used the dash stick on mount and then suction mount on to that. Looked pretty good. Perhaps he will be back as he had photos of this mount.

I do not leave mine in the car as they are stolen around here. Even if the garmin unit is not on the mount, they are stealing the suction mount they see on the windshields.

Check if you buy this refurbished as to the map updates. It may need them and they are not free. I have not updated mine, (two years old now) but if you travel alot, it might be a good idea.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
gootziecat

Thanks for the photo, Kal-El. Perfect spot. How does it stay in place? Can you be specific?
Forrest, thanks for the extra info. I know very little about gps, but they seem to be a great traveling tool.
gootziecat
Old 10-19-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Hey I run a 330 and I actually just sit it in the cupholder and run the powercord over the steering column. I run it every week and it is 95% reliable........ just be careful when it says turn left or right..... might be onto a one way street or into a lake!!

It works fine without too many whistles and bells. Mine told me it was time to update but when I went online I declined to DL an $80 update. Hell I live in VT and there are not that many new streets.
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Mounted mine behind the steering wheel as well. I put a Garmin ball mount by Carcomm BV on the driver side glovebox door and installed a 12V DC port in the driver side glovebox. This was in my 3-door LB though which I traded in yesterday for a 5-door LB. Gotta do all my mods. over again!

IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:22 PM   #8
gootziecat

Guys, I have another question. I'm dumb as a rock when it comes to cars, computers, and new fangled gagets. I just bought a ScanGuageII but it hasn't been installed yet. Would there be any problem having both a ScanGuage and a GPS, or is it going to start getting complicated?
Thank you.
gootziecat
Old 10-19-2008, 05:28 PM   #9
Bob_VT

Quote:
Guys, I have another question. I'm dumb as a rock when it comes to cars, computers, and new fangled gagets. I just bought a ScanGuageII but it hasn't been installed yet. Would there be any problem having both a ScanGuage and a GPS, or is it going to start getting complicated?
Thank you.
gootziecat
Nope not at all I run them both at the same time. The SC II gets it's power from the diagnostic port.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:33 PM   #10
Bob_VT

I have the SC II mounted ontop of my review mirror and the wire runs hidden behind the pillar and tucked into the headliner
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2008, 05:38 PM   #11
gootziecat

Bob VT---- COOL!!! Thanks.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:32 PM   #12
sanityassassinv2
The poison in your poison

Drives: 2008 Black Liftback MT
I installed the Garmin nuvi 760 in this location because I found it easy to access, easy to hear the internal speaker, and the mic pics up my voice well for bluetooth cellphone operation. The power cord runs through the headliner, down the pillar, and into the fusebox. I love this thing! It's also somewhat of a stealth install, the power cord tucks under the visor and the suction mount cup and unit go into the driver's glovebox when I park at work.
Attached Images

sanityassassinv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:53 PM   #13
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
Actually you have it mounted exactly where I have and how I've done it. If you went and installed about a foot-wide of really dark trim across the top of the front windscreen you can effectively hide the GPS from passersby. That's how I do mine.

TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:30 PM   #14
Bob_VT

The C330 does not have bluetooth and is larger than the Nuvi.

I toss mine in the glove box when not in use.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:56 PM   #15
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Thanks for the photo, Kal-El. Perfect spot. How does it stay in place? Can you be specific?
Forrest, thanks for the extra info. I know very little about gps, but they seem to be a great traveling tool.
gootziecat
The Garmin comes with a a suction cup mount and a base plate for using the suction mount on the dash if you choose.

I simply took the plate, and using very strong double sided adhesive strips, attached the plate to the dash. No screws or anything permanent involved.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote